Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American cell phones and coverage

American cell phones and coverage

Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question American cell phones and coverage

Whats your views on American cell phones and the coverage you get. We just switched to T-Mobile and pay $39.99 a month for 1000 any time minutes coast to coast. I thought it was a little costly, but then compared to the others, it would appear to be the norm(I was used to paying 15.99 a month to Orange). No problems with the coverage around here though. I'm off to Vegas Saturday, so we will see how it is there.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American cell phones and coverage

I have a pay-as-you-go Tracphone. The phone cost $80 last December, and I guess that the time I have spent on the phone has cost me about $25-$30 this year.

I'd never sign a contract here in the US - cell phone service is a complete rip-off, and there is even a penalty if you try to cancel your contract. The cell-phone companies are leeches!
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:05 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American cell phones and coverage

Originally posted by Pulaski
I have a pay-as-you-go Tracphone. The phone cost $80 last December, and I guess that the time I have spent on the phone has cost me about $25-$30 this year.

I'd never sign a contract here in the US - cell phone service is a complete rip-off, and there is even a penalty if you try to cancel your contract. The cell-phone companies are leeches!

Yep, I went for the pay-as-you-go too, Mainly because my missus has the thing welded to her ear, when the minutes are gone, and theres no money in the bank, no more chit-chat with her friends until she coughs up the buckeroonies!

I had the orange deal back in the U.K it was cheaper but I hated that orange bill coming through the mail EVERY bloody month.
gave me the willies.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Verizon "free up" pay as you go. The only negative is the pre pays expire after 2 months, and have to top it up again. The cheapest level is $30, and yes, I know the call rates are probably horrendous, but at the end of the month I've used most of the time up (I don't need any more) and it costs me $15 a month. It's better than a contract for me personally. The coverage is good too, it always manages to find a signal, unlike the husband who has a Sprint PCS fancy pants phone which is always losing the signal.