Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American baby to Europe - any forms need completing on plane?

American baby to Europe - any forms need completing on plane?

Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default American baby to Europe - any forms need completing on plane?

Mrs tonrob asked me about this today - never thought of it before but thought I'd check with you lot:

We're taking the Sproutlet to Europe next month - specifically Germany but changing at Heathrow. The Sproutlet is British and German by descent and American by birth, and will be carrying an American passport (only).

As she is entering using an American passport, will I need to help her fill out any forms, landing cards etc.? (The kind of stuff whose existence my brain would have just filtered out on any previous flights to Europe as they wouldn't have applied to me). She will be seven months old so will only chew the corners if left to complete them alone.

FYI - We will probably (but not definitely) stay airside at Heathrow if that matters.

Cheers m'dears.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American baby to Europe - any forms need completing on plane?

As they hand out landing cards, they'll ask first if you need them, but you can just tell the flight attendant "we don't need them but our son is traveling on a US passport". The flight attendant will hand you the forms needed based on the passport you indicate.

If you are just staying airside, I'm not sure if you need a landing card.

p.s. if you are traveling with only one parent, the airline may ask to see a letter authorizing you to go overseas from the other parent. Not sure if that is the case but thought I'd mention as some airlines are stricter than others on this point.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
p.s. if you are traveling with only one parent, the airline may ask to see a letter authorizing you to go overseas from the other parent. Not sure if that is the case but thought I'd mention as some airlines are stricter than others on this point.
In the Western countries, this is more common in Canada than anywhere else (and isn't mandated by law, just part of the unwritten culture).

Use this resource:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 24th 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:03 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
FYI - We will probably (but not definitely) stay airside at Heathrow if that matters.

Cheers m'dears.
If she stays airside at Heathrow none there. If she decides to go landside at Heathrow, all people not using an EU passport will need a landing card. Landing cards are in the immigration hall so if she decides after getting off the aircraft not a problem.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
In the Western countries, this is more common in Canada than anywhere else (and isn't mandated by law, just part of the unwritten culture).

Use this resource:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
I have travelled multiple times with my daughter but without my husband. She had visited 10 countries by the time she was 2 (sadly she won't remember them!) Anyway, the ONLY time I have ever been asked for the letter was last month when I flew to London via Montreal.

The immigration dude let me through but told me I should have a letter. Out of interest, do they expect this letter to be notarized or somehow prove that I just didn't write it myself?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:07 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. We'll both be traveling. Just worried about dozing off and missing out on some form that we'll be required to produce later.