British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Allies treated badly?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-allies-treated-badly-161221/)

Robin the Tech Jun 23rd 2003 7:47 am

American Allies treated badly??

It seems that us Brits who dearly love America and stood by them through thick and thin get a really rough ride by US immigration. I mean, we were first in line to help the US kick out Saddam whilst the whimpy French sat idly by. You'd think that America would welcome people like us Brits- same culture, same language- but NO!!! Seems that if you cross from Mexico as an illegal, or cling to a raft from Cuba claiming political oppression then you're in. The chances are that those 'illegals' previously mentioned get given automatic right to live in the USA with no details of their background. They could have been fleeing jail!!! But us honest hard working brits, who want to work hard to bring prosperity and enhance their way of life without being taxed to the hilt or persecuted by Britains motoring police!!!
I and my family would dearly love to live in Oregon where we visited for a family reunion last year- but the chances of EVER making it because of US immigration policies......YEAH!!!!!

Just thought I'd throw my two pennyworth in!!!

Pimpbot Jun 23rd 2003 10:46 am

My advice. Build a raft and learn how to cling. I am sure it would be a picturesque journey up the pacific coastline from Mexico to Oregon:D

doctor scrumpy Jun 23rd 2003 11:44 am

So is that El Pimbot now ?

Congrats on last Thursday Senor !

MrsLondon Jun 23rd 2003 11:55 am

It's usual to have to have a reason to want to emigrate, to whatever country. You either have to be married or engaged to a citizen of that country, have pots of money, run a business there, be a skilled worker etc etc. The same holds true for the UK. My US husband had to go through the immigration process to get a visa to live in the UK (though I have to say not one tenth as complicated as US immigration).Any agreement would have to be reciprocal, meaning US citizens would be able to emigrate to the UK just because they feel like it, and such an agreement would hardly be equal as the US is more than 20 times the size of the UK!
It would be nice though. Can't your rellies petition for you?

Pimpbot Jun 23rd 2003 12:02 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
So is that El Pimbot now ?

Congrats on last Thursday Senor !
Gracias Señor Scrumpy.

Robin the Tech Jun 23rd 2003 12:13 pm

Get the relatives to petition

Nice idea- but they are not that close a relative. We all share the same Great Gtreat Grandfather- and i'm afraid that don't count.
Don't get me wrong about immigration, but it seems that the UK and USA share a similar goal in as much it will let in any parasite who 'claims' persecution in their country of origin but discards the honest, hard working people who have lots to offer. I think that's a crying shame. We (the uk) let in afghan's, iraqi's, iranians, albanians- they've even let in asians who prech at mosques to kill the (white) enemy. (Get out clause:- this is NOT a racial comment- this is aimed at those who wish to harm us westerners whilst enjoying their hospitality. It is no way intended to imply ALL asians are like it- on the contrary). These people cry political asylum but when its investigated, it is simply not true. We are also overrun with Kosovans claiming ethnic persecution- that may have been the case a few years ago when (yet again) the British & US had to go sort out former Yugoslavia. Ethnic persecution does not happen now- we've seen to that, so really these people could in effect return home.
Well, I've got that off my chest- now back to the rubber room....

MrsLondon Jun 23rd 2003 12:17 pm

I've no idea of your age, but as has been said on another thread, you could always purchase a holiday home and spend 6 months of the year there with a B tourist visa, if you have the luxury of not working.

Ranjini Jun 23rd 2003 12:18 pm

Re: American Allies treated badly??

Originally posted by Robin the Tech
It seems that us Brits who dearly love America and stood by them through thick and thin get a really rough ride by US immigration. I mean, we were first in line to help the US kick out Saddam whilst the whimpy French sat idly by. You'd think that America would welcome people like us Brits- same culture, same language- but NO!!! Seems that if you cross from Mexico as an illegal, or cling to a raft from Cuba claiming political oppression then you're in. The chances are that those 'illegals' previously mentioned get given automatic right to live in the USA with no details of their background. They could have been fleeing jail!!! But us honest hard working brits, who want to work hard to bring prosperity and enhance their way of life without being taxed to the hilt or persecuted by Britains motoring police!!!
I and my family would dearly love to live in Oregon where we visited for a family reunion last year- but the chances of EVER making it because of US immigration policies......YEAH!!!!!

Doesn't that say something about how fair the US is when it comes to immigration? The US Government believes in diversity. From what I'm reading on these boards there seems to be quite a British invasion as it is. My mind boggles at what would happen if the borders were opened up for UK immigrants only :D
Think diversity. Same culture, same language? The members of this board would say, hardly. From what I'm reading here the Brits over here have a hard time even being understood!! Someone ended up with three burgers and three fries after ordering a large coke at a drive-in :D. The diversity visa lottery does not even include Britain as they think they have enough Brits in the US as it is. So it ain't gonna happen. Sorry :(

Patrick Jun 23rd 2003 12:57 pm

But us honest hard working brits, who want to work hard to bring prosperity and enhance their way of life without being taxed to the hilt or persecuted by Britains motoring police!!!
Yes thats right, there is no tax in the USA.

The states that don't have income tax have high property tax or high VAT. Its in there somewhere you cannot escape it and penny for penny it works out the same. We pay 33% on income tax, 6% VAT and property taxes on the house and car (and boat if you have one (the property tax on the car is $10 for every $1000 the car is worth so every year you get a nice tax bill for owning a car).

As for traffic police, most states have made it a priority for making money this year. The Police around here have said you speed and you will get a ticket (no warnings) get extra tax dollars. Added to that Wilmington has gone police camera crazy and installed red light cameras all over. You can guarentee if it a successful money maker (and keeps insurance costs down) other cities will use it in a heartbeat.

As for the Brits and Americans having the same culture and language well your very much mistaken. The US culture is different not only from the UK but between every state. In the NE it is more acceptatble to drink, below the Mason Dixon it is not acceptable to swear, some cities are dry....the list goes on - the one thing you can say about the US is the culture is not the same as the UK.

You obviously have issues with the UK and think that moving to the states will cure all of them. This is Darrenb syndrome who wasn't happy with his life in the UK and came out with dumbest excuses to why he wanted to leave the UK (they have free refills in the US!) but the truth is if your and asshole in the UK you will be an asshole in the US as well. You don't change because you are paying your tax in dollars and getting pulled over by the highway patrol and drinking weak beer, its just different. Now get over this and get on with your life and stop feeling sorry for yourself just because you got a traffic ticket last week!

Patrick

Ranjini Jun 23rd 2003 1:11 pm

Re: Get the relatives to petition

<snip> These people cry political asylum but when its investigated, it is simply not true. <snip>Ethnic persecution does not happen now- we've seen to that, so really these people could in effect return home.
This is a statement I agree with. Britain has been all too ready in the past to offer asylum to terrorists from other countries claiming "persecution", raising all kinds of human rights issues that did not even exist. And causing embarrasment to the said governments. Send them back home by all means, I'd say...

NC Penguin Jun 23rd 2003 1:24 pm

You are joking aren't you? Do you seriously think that just because the UK supported the US militarily, the US would give would be British immigrants to the US special privileges to move to the US?

I think the perception we British and the US share a similar culture and language is not entirely true. As one who moved to the US to live, I fail to see similarities even though I've tried to identify them. It's my belief that the US and Americans try hard to carve out a distinctive identity, inc. language and culture, unassociated with their historical ancestory.

On a superficial level the language is different. Take the spelling and pronounciation of words. Also, I think British English has a greater vocabulary than American English (some would say this is debatable).

I don't think you grasp the immigration process either. Many Mexicans who illegally enter the US do not stay and make it in the US. If you don't live in the US, you may not hear the daily newstories about illegals who are captured and returned to their countries of origin. Also, consider the life of illegals who remain in the US. Talk about an underclass! It's certainly not al "wine and roses" for the majority.

If you consider yourself eligible to emigrate to the US, please do so by legal means. It is possible but you may find that your image of the US, as described in your message, is not as you imagine, and you will be disappointed. Also, if you have children of school age, be prepared to spend in order to give them a good university education (in general).

I wish you well.

NC Penguin

MrsLondon Jun 23rd 2003 1:47 pm

It's true what others say. Life is not always greener on the other side of the fence. My hubby had a romantic idea of Britain before he lived here. His first visit bore that out. He was on vacation, we spent our 2 weeks visiting castles & cathedrals, having cream teas, went on a day trip to France etc. It was a shock to his system to actually emigrate and realise that being stuck on a crowded tube train in the rush hour was just as much a part of my life as visiting castles (hell, more, that makes it sound like I am always visiting castles!)
For many, the attraction of the US is the weather (but that does not apply to all states--some have weather a lot worse than the UK in winter!) and the common langusge, which as others have said, is not so common. Americans pay tax too, and have to pay for private health care on top of that, and they are unlikely to get anywhere near the holiday allotment Brits get.
Yes, many Americans are extremely sucessful. My parents in law have a very big house, by British standards. BUT, my FIL worked TWO FULL TIME jobs for 18 years to get it!! I'm sure if you did that in the UK you could get a big house too.
If you are ineligible to emigrate to the US, take some holidays and enjoy it for what it is, but please don't think any country has 'it all' because that ain't true.

nathan barley Jun 23rd 2003 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Ranjini
This is a statement I agree with. The USA has been all too ready in the past to offer asylum to terrorists from other countries claiming "persecution", raising all kinds of human rights issues that did not even exist. And causing embarrasment to the said governments. Send them back home by all means, I'd say...
Fixed. Much like Britain, if someone comes pleading asylum, the case will atleast be heard out. I agree that Britain needs to do better in sorting the wheat from the chaff and actively kicking them out, though, then again, so does the US.

From what I'm reading on these boards there seems to be quite a British invasion as it is. My mind boggles at what would happen if the borders were opened up for UK immigrants only...
The diversity visa lottery does not even include Britain as they think they have enough Brits in the US as it is.
Last I read, this board was called British Expats. Or did you not notice that? :)
They have enough Canadians, Chinese, Indians, Jamaicans, and South Koreans too.
Your point is?

Ranjini Jun 23rd 2003 2:28 pm

Originally posted by nathan barley
Last I read, this board was called British Expats. Or did you not notice that? :)
They have enough Canadians, Chinese, Indians, Jamaicans, and South Koreans too.
Your point is?
I'm talking about the us.visas.marriage-based forum as a case in point, which is basically a usenet forum. And not exclusive to British Expats. But 99.9% of the posters are Brits. And the subject was opening up the borders to UK immigrants ONLY to move to the US freely. The other nations you mention are equally well represented, I agree. Which would probably make them ineligible for the diversity visa lottery....

Ranjini Jun 23rd 2003 2:38 pm

Originally posted by nathan barley
Fixed. Much like Britain, if someone comes pleading asylum, the case will atleast be heard out. I agree that Britain needs to do better in sorting the wheat from the chaff and actively kicking them out, though, then again, so does the US

You have also misquoted me in your post. What I did say was that Britain was all too ready to grant asylum even to terrorists.
My personal feeling is that the US uses it's discretion more wisely in this regard. Confining themselves to Cuba and Mexico mostly, I would say. California, for instance, was formerly a part of Mexico. Many Mexicans still have family in California which gives the incentive to be re-united with family. And the US government probably is therefore somewhat lenient, depending. As for Cuba, it recognises the difficulties faced by nationals of a neighbouring country living under a dictatorship. Britain, on the other hand, is all too ready to fall for any old sob story IMHO....