Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American accent

American accent

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American accent

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is very true - and it is not just regional variations, but social class and age that contribute to different accents. ?
Yes, but we have our own little language (amazing isn't it? As we are our own country?!). Nevermind it's a massive continent... I'm sure the Brits would have had everyone from London to Moscow sounding identically if they'd only had the chance.

Except...

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, I am amused at this thread because there are many different accents in this country. Same with the UK, no? -- see this link.
Exactly. My DH can identify by accent people who are from towns a mere 10 miles apart.

Honestly, some of these threads. And about the Scottish homeland... What are the sections of New York City called again? Something like 'burrows'.
Just face it, it's a different language and it depends on whether the person is trying to make a local pronunciation or not. I noticed last night that San Jacinto is pronounced two different ways, both correct.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, but we have our own little language (amazing isn't it? As we are our own country?!). Nevermind it's a massive continent... I'm sure the Brits would have had everyone from London to Moscow sounding identically if they'd only had the chance.

Except...

Exactly. My DH can identify by accent people who are from towns a mere 10 miles apart.

Honestly, some of these threads. And about the Scottish homeland... What are the sections of New York City called again? Something like 'burrows'.
Just face it, it's a different language and it depends on whether the person is trying to make a local pronunciation or not. I noticed last night that San Jacinto is pronounced two different ways, both correct.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you that it is a different language - it certainly is. Even within the UK that happens, with all the different dialects and that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - the thread started with us being asked if we'd picked up an accent
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:51 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the Brits would have had everyone from London to Moscow sounding identically if they'd only had the chance.
What an excellent idea!
Shall we ask the French and Germans how it worked out for them?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
What an excellent idea!
Shall we ask the French and Germans how it worked out for them?
They're both failing at the "th" sound - pity.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This is very true - and it is not just regional variations, but social class and age that contribute to different accents.
Yes, but we have our own little language (amazing isn't it? As we are our own country?!). Nevermind it's a massive continent...
My point was, how multidimensional accents are. On my street, for instance, an educated man in his eighties talks with a different accent than his 20 year old grand-daughter, and the high-school dropout in the trailer down the road talks with a different accent from either of them .. but as an outsider, I can still detect common "north country" elements in the way all three of them talk.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is rude, makes it seem like a shitty country..
Well, perhaps it is in a way if you take into account just one of the meanings of the word "scat" - we do have rather a lot of animals roaming about in the Highlands - apart from visiting dogs accompanied by their owners (who I assume can be safely excluded from all of this) we have anything from sheep to deer and even true native wild cats, plus other species besides, and they do tend to leave behind the evidence of their presence, but I'm pretty sure Scotland is not unique in this respect.

It really is the case that many visiting Americans to this fair city of ours do refer to it as "Edinburrow", and I agree with my compatrot in here who said that they also refer to Glasgow as "Glass-gow". We locals are now well past any feelings of irritation here, there is no point to it - it's all part and parcel of living in a major world tourist centre. I doubt very much indeed that any of my fellow citizens would have the slightest clue about the correct pronunciation of Schenectady (I haven't got the foggiest on that one) or many other American place names.

The UK ITV3 soap "Emmerdale" - which is set in the North Yorkshire dales of Northern England - there is a gay character called Aaron. He is universally addressed as "Arrun". His paramour boyfriend, now sadly paralysed from the neck down following a serious road accident, and who has the first name Jackson, is universally addressed as - well, Jackson. How else can it be pronounced?...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I doubt very much indeed that any of my fellow citizens would have the slightest clue about the correct pronunciation of Schenectady (I haven't got the foggiest on that one) or many other American place names.

Actually Schenectady is an odd example to use, as it is pronounced exactly the way it is spelt (or, spelled.) New York does have some difficult ones, though -- Canajoharie could be a challenge, for instance. Shawangunk could be a conundrum for out-of-towners.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Shawangunk could be a conundrum for out-of-towners.
But there again, just how many off-comed 'uns can say Barnoldswick correctly?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But there again, just how many off-comed 'uns can say Barnoldswick correctly?
Barn - Olds - Wick ??

As in barn, agricultural storage building. Olds, kind of car. Wick, piece of string in a candle?????
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Barn - Olds - Wick ??

As in barn, agricultural storage building. Olds, kind of car. Wick, piece of string in a candle?????
I don't think so it's one of those bizarre ones Barlick or something odd
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

In Scotland we have Hawick and Culzean and Glamis among others. How many non Scottish non local Britons have any clue as to how to correctly pronounce those place names, let alone any visiting Americans. Or some non local non English Britons when they see place names like Happisburgh or Trottiscliffe or Cholmondeley on the map of England?

There's no such problem with anyone with Pratts Bottom though I wouldn't have thought, or the lovely Pity Me down there in County Durham.

Welsh place names are in a class all of their own....how the hell is a non Welsh non local individual ever expected to authentically say Machynlleth or Llwyngwril or Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant? Absolutely no chance.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Mar 3rd 2011 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In Scotland we have Hawick and Culzean and Glamis among others. How many non Scottish non local Britons have any clue as to how to correctly pronounce those place names, let alone any visiting Americans. Or some non local non English Britons when they see place names like Happisburgh or Trottiscliffe or Cholmondeley on the map of England?

There's no such problem with anyone with Pratts Bottom though I wouldn't have thought, or the lovely Pity Me down there in County Durham.

Welsh place names are in a class all of their own....how the hell is a non Welsh non local individual ever expected to authentically say Machynlleth or Llwyngwril or Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant? Absolutely no chance.
I was born and raised in Los Angeles. There are several ways of pronouncing the name of our fair city which started as "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles." The pronunciation has been a matter of discussion. It is curious to catch an ear of the Spanish language broadcasts of the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." The city will be given the Spanish pronunciation while the team name is given the English pronunciation. [Don't get me into the problem with "false cognates" -- they can be amusing at times].
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Barn - Olds - Wick ??

Actually, the locals say Barlick. Enunciate all the syllables, and they know you're a stranger!

Kind of like the first time I tried to say Mamaroneck and had them rolling in the aisles. It's ma-maroneck -- I went with mamma-roneck.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I don't think so it's one of those bizarre ones Barlick or something odd
You got it! Sorry, forgot to hit the multiple-quote thing and don't know if one can do it after the fact.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I also can't break the habit of saying "cheers" when people hold doors for me etc. which gets some odd looks
I have the habit of adding "cock" at the end, used as a term of endearment.
Now that will definitely get you some odd looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.