British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American accent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-accent-707126/)

snowbunny Mar 1st 2011 6:08 am

Re: American accent

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 9208126)
Yes, having to repeat a very common English first name (due to my "accent") is pretty frustrating. I honestly have never been able to pronounce my name in an acceptable American fashion (unlike most words I have mastered)

So my name is now Mary

Ah - but is it said like marry, merry, or Mary? ;)

Lothianlad Mar 1st 2011 6:42 am

I just can't believe that I would ever change the accent I have grown up with, or even modifying it or adapting it any way just so that I can avoid situations of misunderstanding or incomprehension, even when in another English speaking country and among people on their own territory. That may well sound "arrogant and pompous" and I'm conscious of the fact that I have never actually lived in any other country but Scotland (apart from long spells in various parts of England - uni and then work) but deliberately choosing to change my accent or way of speaking would just seem unnatural somehow and I would feel self conscious, no matter what the circumstances at the time, but I would probably have to admit that over time a prolonged sojourn in North America or any other English speaking country would result in some form of accentual changes, and means of expression, without consciously realising that it's happening....until I came back to the UK.

I accidentally tuned into an American TV program on one of the Freeview channels the other day - once called "The Real Housewives of Orange County" - a weirdly self seeking, self obsessed, false, fake, over glammed up lot with the same God awful accent which would be enough to make most Brits pledge never, ever to assume any kind of American accent.

Brucky Mar 1st 2011 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Malashaan (Post 9208803)
I can't figure out why nut when I say my name is "John" a lot of American's think I'm saying "Joel" - seems an odd one to me. I also can't break the habit of saying "cheers" when people hold doors for me etc. which gets some odd looks :D

I also say "cheers" a lot. I am emigrating to Virginia in a few months, and I was there for a while last year. I learnt very quickly that I'll be using this word a lot. :D

Ridski Mar 1st 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 9208987)
Black people seem to understand when you say "allright" as being hello. Whites in the US think it means "are you feeling well?" So now I only talk to people of a darker persuasion..........

Funny, that.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9208994)
:lol: I have fallen foul of that, with people somehow thinking I'm accusing them of not being all right.

I would say, in general, black people are more 'on our wavelength' for humour/outlook.

On the other hand, I had the same problem with "what's up?" or "wassup?" over here. I'd see someone, they'd say "What's up, Ridski?" and I'd reply "Nothing, I'm fine". Took a long time to realize it was just a greeting and not someone wondering why I look depressed.

robin1234 Mar 1st 2011 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ridski (Post 9210388)
On the other hand, I had the same problem with "what's up?" or "wassup?" over here. I'd see someone, they'd say "What's up, Ridski?" and I'd reply "Nothing, I'm fine". Took a long time to realize it was just a greeting and not someone wondering why I look depressed.

I go with the monosyllabic contractions. These are the greetings I typically use, with friends, acquaintances, work colleagues and students.
"'s up?"
"yo."
"Hey."
"Dude."
Sometimes, feeling expansive, I say.. "'S up, dude?"

Craig1987 Mar 1st 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9205210)
Yeah they love all of us "Australians" in the US.

That's nothing, I was talking to a New Yorker in a local indian takeaway. He has lived in Glasgow for the past 5 years... I told him I'd love to spend time in new york... He told me I'd get a job "easily" in an Irish bar... Then he looked confused when I told him I was Scottish, born and bred.

As for the job in an Irish bar, not sure what kind of visa would allow that.

SultanOfSwing Mar 1st 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Craig1987 (Post 9210407)
As for the job in an Irish bar, not sure what kind of visa would allow that.

Funnily enough, neither are most people working in Irish bars in New York :p

Craig1987 Mar 1st 2011 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9210416)
Funnily enough, neither are most people working in Irish bars in New York :p

Perhaps that's what he meant... One thing that will annoy me... I'm going to Vancouver (BC, not washington fyi), but plan on seeing a bit of America too... My name is Craig. Most Americans (and canadians) i've met pronounce it "creg"... Like Greg with a C at the start... This infuriates me... I despise my name, but don't even have a middle name, so I'm stuck with it.

I can either
1. Alienate people with constant corrections.
2. Annoy myself by just putting up with it.

Or

3. Use an "assumed" name... Obviously all official documents will have my real name on them. My dad uses his middle name as his first name and (this is where it gets confusing) I'd prefer to use the name James (which is both my father's real first name and my grandfathers first name).

Is this too pretentious, or acceptable? I've always hated the name Craig (and yet, I even used it as my username.:curse:)

Ridski Mar 1st 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Craig1987 (Post 9210515)
Perhaps that's what he meant... One thing that will annoy me... I'm going to Vancouver (BC, not washington fyi), but plan on seeing a bit of America too... My name is Craig. Most Americans (and canadians) i've met pronounce it "creg"... Like Greg with a C at the start... This infuriates me... I despise my name, but don't even have a middle name, so I'm stuck with it.

I can either

Or

3. Use an "assumed" name... Obviously all official documents will have my real name on them. My dad uses his middle name as his first name and (this is where it gets confusing) I'd prefer to use the name James (which is both my father's real first name and my grandfathers first name).

Is this too pretentious, or acceptable? I've always hated the name Craig (and yet, I even used it as my username.:curse:)

I think you'll be fine with that, and I, too, have a problem with the way Americans pronounce Craig. I use my middle name as my first name, too, mostly because Londoners pronounce Neil (my first name) like a cross between "Neo" and the noise a F1 car makes as it flies past you. Here, they actually pronounce it correctly, but I've been going by my middle name for 20 years now so it's hard to drop.

SultanOfSwing Mar 1st 2011 3:02 pm

I can either

Or

You'd be fine using whatever name you want to introduce yourself to people. As you said - your given name will be on all official documents but otherwise, James would do just as well. Most people can pronounce that one!

taffie77 Mar 1st 2011 3:08 pm

On a similar note, I had a job interview yesterday and one of the interviewers was called Aaron. I feel quite self concious about how I pronounce the name, though nobody else seemed to notice :lol: Here the tendency is more like Erin, whereas I say Aaaaron, though I've obviously changed that along the way because where I grew up it tends to be more like Air-ron.
It's quite odd this language stuff :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 1st 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 9209708)

I accidentally tuned into an American TV program on one of the Freeview channels the other day - once called "The Real Housewives of Orange County" - a weirdly self seeking, self obsessed, false, fake, over glammed up lot with the same God awful accent which would be enough to make most Brits pledge never, ever to assume any kind of American accent.

OMG you should have a peek at Real housewives of New Jersey then, it'll really make you cringe :lol:
I'm told I sounds British, then when I go home to UK I'd told I sound American for a few days, then it goes away except for the odd work here and there.
Then back to US I come only to be told they can no longer understand what I'm saying.

I have been here long enough I now get confused about words/slang and don't remember if it's UK or US slang, so I use it, and if I get a blank look, then I know it's from UK :o Nice though I can call people tossers or wankers or piss head and many more and they have no clue.

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ridski (Post 9210525)
I think you'll be fine with that, and I, too, have a problem with the way Americans pronounce Craig. I use my middle name as my first name, too, mostly because Londoners pronounce Neil (my first name) like a cross between "Neo" and the noise a F1 car makes as it flies past you. Here, they actually pronounce it correctly, but I've been going by my middle name for 20 years now so it's hard to drop.

Why not change ot to Graham? :lol:

kimilseung Mar 1st 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9210707)
Why not change ot to Graham? :lol:

Graham becomes Gram
but Birmigham becomes Birming-Ham
I'll never understand these things.

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9210727)
Graham becomes Gram
but Birmigham becomes Birming-Ham
I'll never understand these things.

Me neither :lol: