Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American accent

American accent

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: American accent

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In Scotland we have Hawick and Culzean and Glamis among others. How many non Scottish non local Britons have any clue as to how to correctly pronounce those place names, let alone any visiting Americans.
There's a town a few miles outside of the one I grew up in called Kilncadzow. Anyone want to take a guess how to pronounce that one?

"Kiln-cad-zow"? Sounds simple... But wrong... It's pronounced "Kil-Kay-Gay"...

Still don't understand that one...
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:41 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, the locals say Barlick. Enunciate all the syllables, and they know you're a stranger!

Kind of like the first time I tried to say Mamaroneck and had them rolling in the aisles. It's ma-maroneck -- I went with mamma-roneck.
I had the same issue with the Adirondacks. It's Addy-RON-dacks, but of course I went with A-DIE-rondacks, which still causes much amusement to my US wife.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
I have the habit of adding "cock" at the end, used as a term of endearment.
Now that will definitely get you some odd looks.
Not in Manchester it won't, apparently - the one in England I mean, not the one in New Hampshire. I believe it is a Mancunian expression and apparently it was use by the character Bet Lynch (played by Julie Goodyear) in Corrie (aka Coronation Street) quite often but seemingly in a pejorative way, invariably directed at a male character, and one who had been audacious enough to cross her in some way - not a difficult thing to achieve by all accounts.

When I first arrived in Leeds to attend uni there I was surprised to be addressed as "luv" (Tykespeak for "love") by a male bus driver fairly soon after my arrival (my first time ever in Yorkshire itself let alone Leeds). He may have been in his 30s or so I would guess and as it was 2000 I was just 19, and the guy was not at all bad looking, and I must have thought it was my lucky day as I was really apprehensive about things in general at the time. I subsequently discovered that the term of address "luv" knew no gender boundaries in that part of England. I felt quite let down at first on realising that.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I felt quite let down at first on realising that.
THAT is your best post evah.
(I had the same problem with 'pet'.. I thought 'how sweet, they really like me!')
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I can't figure out why nut when I say my name is "John" a lot of American's think I'm saying "Joel" - seems an odd one to me. I also can't break the habit of saying "cheers" when people hold doors for me etc. which gets some odd looks
I have the same problem with the "oh" sound in John and the 'aw' in Dawn......we have friends whose names are John and Dawn and most Americans seem to think I'm saying Jane and Don!!!! When I try and say Don, they think I'm saying Dawn.........we English just pronounce the o sound much shorter perhaps, the Americans much longer......
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Another thing I find funny is, now that I've setlled in at work and no longer really pay attention to making sure I'm understood, all the local colloquialisms and sayings are coming out. I get some really strange looks when I say knackered, away with the fairies, sandwich short of a picnic, six of one half a dozen of the other, you Plonker!! or you Numpty!!! among many many others. Still thankfully the girls I work with think it's great and a lot of them have had me do the recorded message on their mobile phones.

Yes, I have to use the correct words and for the most part pronounce them the right way like ga-rarge, trash can, vacuum (not Hoover), tomayto etc but who cares.......I had to do it when I moved from England to Scotland - you learn to adapt, but I still kept the English accent.

One other thing, most of the girls when they first hear me say 'Bloody Hell' think I'm being really naughty....for some reason they think it's worse in Britain to say than the 'F' word.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:50 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Went to a sugar house (where they make maple syrup) yesterday and the guy in the store said to me "so I can tell from your accent you grew up round here in Vermont" and grinned; thought that was a really nice way of asking me where I was from
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:07 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Went to a sugar house (where they make maple syrup) yesterday and the guy in the store said to me "so I can tell from your accent you grew up round here in Vermont" and grinned; thought that was a really nice way of asking me where I was from
That happens to me a lot, makes for some pleasant conversation when I tell them no I am from Alabama

Once went into a Woolworth's years ago somewhere in one of the southern states? I wanted a Map, had the hardest time! they thought I was asking for a Mop and the assistant directed me to the cleaning section
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1987
There's a town a few miles outside of the one I grew up in called Kilncadzow. Anyone want to take a guess how to pronounce that one?

"Kiln-cad-zow"? Sounds simple... But wrong... It's pronounced "Kil-Kay-Gay"...

Still don't understand that one...
I used to ride the train that went to Milngavie. I think that was pronounced "Mullguy". At least that's what they told me.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The missus, one her uncles just built a new sap house because since the grandfather died, the uncle who got the house/grounds has been charging people for maple syrup and it's not very good.

So the new stuff, it's quite lovely, but about 50-60 gallons of sap to make a gallon of good syrup for the first year. Depending on the winter, can get better yields down to 30-40 gallons of sap for a gallon, but not this winter.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
... six of one half a dozen of the other, ...
Just out of curiosity, what does this phrase mean in the UK? In American slang it is used in the sense of "there is no difference" or "either choice is fine." For example "Should I pay by debit card or credit card?" "Six one, half dozen the other."

I do like "sandwich short of a picnic." I can see it is the equivalent "one short of a six-pack" or "not firing on all cylinders."

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 5th 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Just out of curiosity, what does this phrase mean in the UK? In American slang it is used in the sense of "there is no difference" or "either choice is fine." For example "Should I pay by debit card or credit card?" "Six one, half dozen the other."
Same thing.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
Same thing.
Oh, six one half dozen the other, then? [Sorry my inner child could not resist. ]
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We use "six and two threes" which is six of one and half a dozen of the other but a bit less of a mouthful!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Redwing
I used to ride the train that went to Milngavie. I think that was pronounced "Mullguy". At least that's what they told me.
That's correct. Never been to Milngavie, but I used to get that train. The last stop in the other direction is Lanark... Which is near Kilncadzow. Small world.

Oh, and in Scotland, we just say "it's six and half a dozen".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.