Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American accent

American accent

Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American accent

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I liked mine too -- I record books for the blind, and used to get the call for books with a British protagonist. Folks here still think I sound British, but to me I sound like the creature from the depths of the middle of the Atlantic!
It'll be interesting to see what happens to mine. I dabble in amateur theatre, and recently got a role in a play on the strength of being able to do a (if I say so myself) reasonably flawless English accent. They were a good group and I'd like to do more plays but the problem is, while I can do a bunch of regional English, Scottish and Irish accents and a passable Aussie, I can't do an American accent for shit
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard to say my name with an American accent, so Americans usually hear it as 'Sunny'. Other names like Dotty and Betty I also tend to stick to a British pronunciation rather than "Darddy' and "Beddy'. My son gets ribbed for his pronunciation of 'art', something to do with the 'r' sound. My kids can generally switch between the two accents, especially the younger one.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:48 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I find it hard to say my name with an American accent, so Americans usually hear it as 'Sunny'. Other names like Dotty and Betty I also tend to stick to a British pronunciation rather than "Darddy' and "Beddy'. My son gets ribbed for his pronunciation of 'art', something to do with the 'r' sound. My kids can generally switch between the two accents, especially the younger one.
Yes, having to repeat a very common English first name (due to my "accent") is pretty frustrating. I honestly have never been able to pronounce my name in an acceptable American fashion (unlike most words I have mastered)

So my name is now Mary
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I the problem is, while I can do a bunch of regional English, Scottish and Irish accents and a passable Aussie, I can't do an American accent for shit
That is so funny -- I'm just the same! I do French, Aussie, Russian (though I think it comes out more Bela Lugosi!), Irish, Welsh, Scots, lots of English regional, but the only US I can attempt to muster is a really hokey "country" accent, like something from an old cowboy movie!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That is so funny -- I'm just the same! I do French, Aussie, Russian (though I think it comes out more Bela Lugosi!), Irish, Welsh, Scots, lots of English regional, but the only US I can attempt to muster is a really hokey "country" accent, like something from an old cowboy movie!
I always sound like Private Joker's John Wayne impression from Full Metal Jacket . Somewhere between that and a Canadian stroke victim
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:14 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zooqookoo
I think accent comes out stronger when talking with other brits
Yep, when my parent's were here for the wedding my in-laws stopped being able to understand me lol. All the Yorkshire "by 'ecks" etc. were coming out
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've lived here for 15 years...the answer is no.
My wife and I have been over here for 48 years and both of us have taken on some of the accent of the Ottawa valley. My wife less so because she didn't go out to work. On my rare trips back to the UK (last in 1985) most people I spoke to detected the change in accent.

Some people make a conscious effort to obtain an accent and I myself tend to use some North American pronunciations.

You may think that your accent hasn't changed, if it hasn't it could be due to regular trips home.

An old friend of mine married a Welsh girl and moved to North Wales. He didn't return for a visit for over 5 years and guess what? he had a Welsh accent.

We all tend to assimilate, some more than others, but why fight it?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
Last summer I met two British people in San Diego who had lived there for 5 years and they spoke with an American accent Every now and again you could hear a slight British twang. I didn't think that could be possible, but at this point it obviously is. I have lived in Milan for 20 years and still have my strong Merseyside accent. I was just curious.... do any of you speak with an American accent?
I've found that words I learned over here I do say with something of an Amurikan accent. However, my accent is still fairly strong English. Admittedly, a good number of the words which were specifically English or phrases which were just English have gone, but apart from that, it's still English.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I don't think I've picked up the local accent yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Like others, I will say tomayto (especially in a busy deli), but have had no probs with Water so far.
I think most people's accents are influenced when they move elsewhere, it's just the degree of change that differs.
I don't have my original accent anyway, I don't even know what it is. When I went to University in Plymouth I had to tone down (and slow down) my Welsh accent to make myself understood, but living in various parts of the West Country for 14 years probably had more of an effect than a concious effort. Which is why I don't get toooo upset when people ask if I'm English
When I was 11, we lived in Turkey and I spent the entire summer hanging out with an Australian girl. My accent at the end of the holidays was certainly interesting
Only one person here has asked if I'm Australian, and that was at the Aussie Rules Footy club I've just joined, so the confusion was almost understandable!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
Last summer I met two British people in San Diego who had lived there for 5 years and they spoke with an American accent Every now and again you could hear a slight British twang. I didn't think that could be possible, but at this point it obviously is. I have lived in Milan for 20 years and still have my strong Merseyside accent. I was just curious.... do any of you speak with an American accent?
They're probably scousers.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie

I cannae do it I am reduced to waiting until someone else at the table orders water, then saying "me too." (The day I discovered that trick... oh, the relief!!)
Tbh, I normally do the same after the missus or whoever asks for a glass...but it is a small chore when it's just me asking for a glass.

It seems that's the only one that really causes problems, either that or every waiter is taking the mick
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:07 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I can't figure out why nut when I say my name is "John" a lot of American's think I'm saying "Joel" - seems an odd one to me. I also can't break the habit of saying "cheers" when people hold doors for me etc. which gets some odd looks
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:42 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I can't figure out why nut when I say my name is "John" a lot of American's think I'm saying "Joel" - seems an odd one to me. I also can't break the habit of saying "cheers" when people hold doors for me etc. which gets some odd looks
Black people seem to understand when you say "allright" as being hello. Whites in the US think it means "are you feeling well?" So now I only talk to people of a darker persuasion..........

Funny, that.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Black people seem to understand when you say "allright" as being hello. Whites in the US think it means "are you feeling well?" So now I only talk to people of a darker persuasion..........

Funny, that.
I have fallen foul of that, with people somehow thinking I'm accusing them of not being all right.

I would say, in general, black people are more 'on our wavelength' for humour/outlook.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We received the local college course magazine a few weeks ago and were laughing because there was a course to teach you how to speak with an American accent. It said something along the lines of 'tired of repeating yourself, not getting the sandwich you ordered or problems with automated telephone systems, enrol on our course and we'll teach you how to pronounce your words like a local...'

Personally, I'm still broad Yorkshire. My daughter was 5 when we moved and is now she has a very strange Yorkshire/Valley Girl twang going on. Neither of which belong in the Bay Area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.