Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:43 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: America the Beautiful

Originally Posted by Ray
Then you don't miss those magical moments when the sun set over the phipps bridge estate in mitcham .. and sofas and TV would come raining down from the 15th floor..as the residents happily played amongst the stolen cars in the car park... sheer heaven

Ahhh Phipps Bridge. The ultimate in modern day coucil estate living, many years ago. lololol At least if your car was stolen you knew where to start looking for it. I left Mitcham in 1979. The one thing that still amazes me is why they turned the public toilet block by the clock tower at the Fair Green into a cafe. My friend's dad said that no matter what, it will always be a toilet and he just can't bring himself to sample its delights.

I lived on London Road by the telephone exchange and didn't miss one bit the fire engines and police cars speeding up and down all hours of the day and night.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:43 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
The one thing that still amazes me is why they turned the public toilet block by the clock tower at the Fair Green into a cafe. My friend's dad said that no matter what, it will always be a toilet and he just can't bring himself to sample its delights.
I once spent a whole week there looking for cottagers. I've not been the same since.

Is the Bath Tavern still on the Phipps?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:23 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger- even as a Yank I do not drink ice tea (the house wine of the South) and I won't eat Grits.
i love green iced tea........and good iced coffee........
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:32 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I love living in a house that I would have to be a bloody millionaire to afford in England!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:32 pm
ImHere

Personally I like the space, the fact I can drive an uneccessarily huge truck and haul a big RV behind it and no-one bats an eyelid. I like the fact I can express my personal choice to own and use firearms. I like the way my personal license tag cost me 50 quid instead of 5 Grand plus. I like the way I can dress in cowboy boots, jeans and hat and drive my uneccessarily huge truck and no-one cares. Infact, yes, I am turning into a redneck it seems. But what I like is no-one cares about it.

Oh I also like the fact I can use the outside pool 365 days per year (nearly), the fact that my seasons consist of summer, summer plus, summer extra and summer lite. And the fact the weather has some get up and go in it.

I do miss some (a lot) things about the UK, but if I were to move back now there would be plenty of things I'd miss about the USA too right now.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Personally I like the space, the fact I can drive an uneccessarily huge truck and haul a big RV behind it and no-one bats an eyelid. I like the fact I can express my personal choice to own and use firearms. I like the way my personal license tag cost me 50 quid instead of 5 Grand plus. I like the way I can dress in cowboy boots, jeans and hat and drive my uneccessarily huge truck and no-one cares. Infact, yes, I am turning into a redneck it seems. But what I like is no-one cares about it.

Oh I also like the fact I can use the outside pool 365 days per year (nearly), the fact that my seasons consist of summer, summer plus, summer extra and summer lite. And the fact the weather has some get up and go in it.

I do miss some (a lot) things about the UK, but if I were to move back now there would be plenty of things I'd miss about the USA too right now.
OMG, you're really Ray, aren't you?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:41 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
OMG, you're really Ray, aren't you?
Funnily enough someone did in all seriousness ask if we are the same person or at least related a while back.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough someone did in all seriousness ask if we are the same person or at least related a while back.
Either that or you live right next door to each other and share the same electrical current outlet for your brains.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:45 pm
ImHere

Either that or you live right next door to each other and share the same electrical current outlet for your brains.
Hmmm I think we live about 600 miles apart. But the electric supply can be a bit flakey at times here so perhaps FPL keep zapping us?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm I think we live about 600 miles apart. But the electric supply can be a bit flakey at times here so perhaps FPL keep zapping us?
Whatever FPL is. Anyway, perhaps living in Florida? You need the guns to feel safe? Thinking of crocodiles, etc....
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:50 pm
ImHere

Whatever FPL is. Anyway, perhaps living in Florida? You need the guns to feel safe? Thinking of crocodiles, etc....
Florida Power and Light.

Guns are common enough down here. Theres allsorts of varmints wandering around. But theres not too many crocodiles, mostly 'Gators.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Florida Power and Light.

Guns are common enough down here. Theres allsorts of varmints wandering around. But theres not too many crocodiles, mostly 'Gators.
Ah I see. Well I was just wondering if it was you that the gator got the other day....obviously not.

So how big is your RV? We were looking at some a few months back. I told my husband I'd go camping if he bought something like that.....he bought be a tent instead.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:00 pm
ImHere

Ah I see. Well I was just wondering if it was you that the gator got the other day....obviously not.

So how big is your RV? We were looking at some a few months back. I told my husband I'd go camping if he bought something like that.....he bought be a tent instead.
Nah wasnt me. Probably some dopey tourist wandered up to give it a pet.

Its 30 foot long, with a queen bed in a seperate bedroom for us, two bunks in another bedroom for the kids and bathroom with shower, sofa, 4 seater dining table, cooker, fridge/freezer etc and of course AC. Its a 2003 Fleetwood. Infact this is the floor plan:

Very comfy but you do need a good sized truck to haul it.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah wasnt me. Probably some dopey tourist wandered up to give it a pet.

Its 30 foot long, with a queen bed in a seperate bedroom for us, two bunks in another bedroom for the kids and bathroom with shower, sofa, 4 seater dining table, cooker, fridge/freezer etc and of course AC. Its a 2003 Fleetwood. Infact this is the floor plan:

Very comfy but you do need a good sized truck to haul it.
We saw one similar to that. Looked very comfy. Unfortunately we don't have room to park it and it would have to go to a storage lot. Another reason why my husband didn't like the idea. That and having to buy a big a$$ truck to drive it around.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:24 pm
Franklin

Ok peeps. Here it is. Your chance to say all the nice things about living in America. Since we seem to have a number of members who cant cope with the moans and groans. So come on lets be having you all.

Going to be different for each person, but for me: the accessibility of its graduate programs, which fitted in with my full time work commitments. The pace of life, which is just amazing. The get up and get things done attitude that prevails here. The emphasis on helping small businesses. The willingness of ordinary folks to take business risks. The friendliness I found at at work. Great cities and skylines, Chicago being just one example. The size of the country. The huge number of places to visit and enjoy. The contrasts found between the various states. So many places to discover (as a tourist) such as Alaska. The institutions like the Congress, Supreme Court, etc. The Science and Industry Museum in Chicago including the hatching chicks and fairy castle exhibits which are so . The Smithsonian museums along The Mall. San-Francisco, one of my favorite cities, along with the gorgeously beautiful coastal scenery/drive between Carmel and SF. The list is endless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.