Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:24 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: America the Beautiful

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
How does that work out on the income scale?
Not sure really.....
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:24 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
They're only good when you buy them at Harrod's and they cost 8 pounds for a dozen.
Please tell me they don't have Krispy Kremes at Harrods
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:28 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

$15 bucks a dozen? Made in the deep south and flown over by private jet?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeppers. That was actually the first time I'd ever had one. They were fresh off the line and they tasted so good I made my husband buy a dozen of those puppies. Urgh.....they were gross once they became cold.

But yes they are in Harrods.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Confuse?
Yes dear. Just like they hear you and think you've got brains.....it all works out in the end.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:56 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

People confuse my English accent with intelligence.

I like that one.......
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:54 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes dear. Just like they hear you and think you've got brains.....it all works out in the end.
Not often.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:08 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

My own personal opinion is that there are good and bad things about both the UK and USA, and what is good about the UK to one person is not necessarily good to another. Had I known then, what I know now I think I would have tried to move to the US when I was a lot younger.

A lot also depends on where you live. What I like about the US is the fact that I don't feel I am being taxed out the yin yan. When I think back to what I paid out in the UK I wonder how we survived. My fellow Americans laugh when I tell them about lawn sprinkler licences, TV licences, and having to get planning permission (depending where you live) to be able to fly the nations flag.

What I miss about the UK is the good old pub, the social gathering, playing darts, small villages, high streets with unusual shops, certain foodstuffs, fine dining, and not having to drive for 8 hours to get to the beach. What I love about the US, low taxes, the service industry, knowing that if I should accidently leave my garage door open when I go to work its entire contents will still be there when I get home, walking across a parking lot at 11 at night and not feeling scared I might get mugged, having good neighbors and knowing that when they say "if you need anything just ask" they really mean it, and being able to buy Krispy Kreme donuts hot off the press for less that fifteen pounds a dozen.

If we could mix and match aspects of both countries we will all be happy but alas you can't.

There are some things about the US I do dislike but live with but its still fun to piss and moan about them, for example, some of the stupid laws, we have several dry counties near us and until recently our own county was dry on Sundays. I hate having to mail in my bills each month, it was so much easier to write out one check and just take them all to Barclays and let them do it. I get fed up having to keep telling people I am not Australian. lolol

There are some things that even after 10 years of being here, I can't handle. I just can't drink ice tea, and no matter what you put on grits they still have the texture and taste of Polycel plus wallpaper paste, and jelly on a sausage biscuit grosses me out. But all in all for me the pros of being here outweight the cons.

And the one thing I truly love, being able to use the outdoor hot tub 52 weeks of the year.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
My own personal opinion is that there are good and bad things about both the UK and USA, and what is good about the UK to one person is not necessarily good to another. Had I known then, what I know now I think I would have tried to move to the US when I was a lot younger.
Then you don't miss those magical moments when the sun set over the phipps bridge estate in mitcham .. and sofas and TV would come raining down from the 15th floor..as the residents happily played amongst the stolen cars in the car park... sheer heaven
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

About a month ago when I was in Victoria Station, Krispy Kreme had a kiosk there.

I didn't dare walk over there to see how much £££ they were charging. Didn't want to get depressed I suppose.

Last edited by commoner; Jul 21st 2005 at 9:15 am.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:46 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

A lot also depends on where you live. What I like about the US is the fact that I don't feel I am being taxed out the yin yan. When I think back to what I paid out in the UK I wonder how we survived. My fellow Americans laugh when I tell them about lawn sprinkler licences, TV licences, and having to get planning permission (depending where you live) to be able to fly the nations flag.

What I miss about the UK is the good old pub, the social gathering, playing darts, small villages, high streets with unusual shops, certain foodstuffs, fine dining, and not having to drive for 8 hours to get to the beach. What I love about the US, low taxes, the service industry, knowing that if I should accidently leave my garage door open when I go to work its entire contents will still be there when I get home, walking across a parking lot at 11 at night and not feeling scared I might get mugged, having good neighbors and knowing that when they say "if you need anything just ask" they really mean it, and being able to buy Krispy Kreme donuts hot off the press for less that fifteen pounds a dozen.

If we could mix and match aspects of both countries we will all be happy but alas you can't.

There are some things about the US I do dislike but live with but its still fun to piss and moan about them, for example, some of the stupid laws, we have several dry counties near us and until recently our own county was dry on Sundays. I hate having to mail in my bills each month, it was so much easier to write out one check and just take them all to Barclays and let them do it. I get fed up having to keep telling people I am not Australian. lolol

There are some things that even after 10 years of being here, I can't handle. I just can't drink ice tea, and no matter what you put on grits they still have the texture and taste of Polycel plus wallpaper paste, and jelly on a sausage biscuit grosses me out. But all in all for me the pros of being here outweight the cons.

And the one thing I truly love, being able to use the outdoor hot tub 52 weeks of the year.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger- even as a Yank I do not drink ice tea (the house wine of the South) and I won't eat Grits.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
and I won't eat Grits.

I've never actually been able to work out what they're made of.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:42 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Then you don't miss those magical moments when the sun set over the phipps bridge estate in mitcham .. and sofas and TV would come raining down from the 15th floor..as the residents happily played amongst the stolen cars in the car park... sheer heaven
I spent many a happy tour of duty around there. And let's not forget the wonderful Lonesome Depot. :scared:
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:17 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that Canada?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:24 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I've never actually been able to work out what they're made of.
used brain cells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.