Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:32 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Nice. Personally I couldnt be bothered with going to the UK for long weekends. Not with kids and dogs, regardless of price, unless it was for a family emergency.
I have to agree..........its hard enough flying down to FL for long weekends .....and a lot of people have the worry of not getting back to the USA on time and losing their jobs.......
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chorlton
NY is the exception though. Everyone else sees those BA ads and then realises its a few hundred more to fly to NY, and that its one way...
Just did a search on Orbitz etc and the cheapest flight I can find for November Miami to Heathrow is $659 per person So for us a long weekend to the UK would cost the thick end of $4000 for flights alone and that includes a 3 hour stop over at NY so a total of 14 hours travel each way.....Nah, think I'll not bother.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a search on Orbitz etc and the cheapest flight I can find for November Miami to Heathrow is $659 per person So for us a long weekend to the UK would cost the thick end of $4000 for flights alone and that includes a 3 hour stop over at NY so a total of 14 hours travel each way.....Nah, think I'll not bother.
I'm flying back to the UK for Christmas and New Year return From Philly to Gatwick with US Airways $555, but I booked it 4 months in advance.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm flying back to the UK for Christmas and New Year return From Philly to Gatwick with US Airways $555, but I booked it 4 months in advance.
Is that per person?

The trouble is theres bugger all direct cheap flights from down here to the UK for some reason so any fare under a grand per person stops at Newark or NY.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:52 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Is that per person?

The trouble is theres bugger all direct cheap flights from down here to the UK for some reason so any fare under a grand per person stops at Newark or NY.
Yep per person, non stop scheduled flight, I did have to book a flight once at the last minute $1200 return. Virgin used to be really good for cheap flights, especially in the off season, do they fly to Orlando?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:07 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Sorry to disappoint, hubby couldn't wire a plug let alone build anything with bricks!!! and kids , have 2 of my own and that's hard work enough without looking after anybody elses, thanks very much Hubby is a lawyer and worked for an american law firm in London prior to moving to Oz. I know, I know, should have tried getting a transfer with them, but Oz was calling, and you know what they say 'you never know til you try it'

Louise
Phew - Hopefully our American lawyer shortage will be eased a little! LOL
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

Yep per person, non stop scheduled flight, I did have to book a flight once at the last minute $1200 return. Virgin used to be really good for cheap flights, especially in the off season, do they fly to Orlando?

Not that I know of. I wouldnt use Whorlando anyway except in a last resort.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CarlM
Phew - Hopefully our American lawyer shortage will be eased a little! LOL
K worthy
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Not that I know of. I wouldnt use Whorlando anyway except in a last resort.
Yes they do, also to Miami.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by izibear
Yes they do, also to Miami.
I know they fly to Miami...my MIL uses them when she comes over...

I just looked on their web site and got quoted for $1648 return to Heathrow per person on a cheapo cheap econo class ticket. :scared:
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Also going home for Christmas. Booked my flights last month. $490 return from Chicago to Dublin (direct), then £20 for the bus up the road to Belfast.
What I have noticed though is that its much, much cheaper to fly from the US to ireland than it is to the UK. You can then get yourself acorss the irish sea or up north for buttons.
Continental fly to dublin and belfast from chicago (both via Newark obviously!!!). The dublin flight is $400 cheaper than the belfast one so perhaps the euro keeps those prices down - that plus they know that everyone else in the world who has something to sell charges Brits an extra 20% so why shouldn't they.

The OP's point about Australia being so cut off I can identify with. I had the chance to relocate to Newport Beach instead of Chicago but here I have a good overlap with home in the mornings when I can email friends and I can still watch live footie without having to go a night without sleep - can't do that out west.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

PLEASE do not make the mistake of moving to the U.S Having lived there for 12 yrs, compare the immigration system itself as a parody of 1/ U.S.A = NAZI GERMANY 2/ AUSTRALIA= HEAVEN ON EARTH,WE ACTUALLY WANT PEOPLE TO MOVE HERE AND WILL HELP YOU. I could write you a 12 page letter but would just get myself all worked up. BTW I have a green card.I wasnt there illegally. Moving to OZ in 4 weeks. The ONLY positive of U.S is that if your'e in a service industry they actually tip!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandrew
PLEASE do not make the mistake of moving to the U.S Having lived there for 12 yrs, compare the immigration system !
Not the brightest are you ...replying to a 4/5 month old thread
So you failed here ...you will fail there too...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

Quite the opposite.I owned and operated a successfull business and employed a number of quite pleasant people who worked hard.I sold the business to return to the UK as my father had a stroke.I since visited Australia and was so taken back by their friendliness that i decided to move there.The overwhelming help i've received by Australian immigration puts your government and people such as yourself at shame. Where on earth would you be permitted to legally walk down the road with a gun but not a BEER!Where would a Police officer rather shoot a person dead than in the leg if felt threatened becuse of fear of being sued.Yes the good old U.S. Mandate its people to give them their social security # for a drivers license! Making sense? Unfortunately this country is going down the same road as yours which is one reason im leaving,but we havent got to the same point as yours yet. We DO NOW however have the problem of drugs which your country seems so good at exporting all around the world.