Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
this is not ture - I don't watch TV here ..its shite and we have a gardener (Sanchez you remember him)
Ah I wondered what happened to him...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Has the article been posted yet?

If not, the OP should read this to determine if he/she and family are eligible to live and work in the US legally.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of great advice been given to you on this thread. I'm British/Australian & I now live in the States as hubby is American. I was just wondering whether you have tried living in another City in Aussie? I wasn't very keen on Sydney, I preferred Melbourne & the Gold Coast, maybe you could try moving to another part of Oz, before you take the huge step of moving to yet another country.

Given the chance I would be back in Australia in a flash! I think I will always choose Australia over any other country I have been to, I love it there & feel it is where I should be. Education might maybe better there than it is here in America, there should be some stats somewhere, but I can't find them. At least Aussie will cost you less in the long run, housing, schools, college, university & health care is most definitely cheaper in Aussie than here or New York to be exact.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by cdandi
Hi Wheezy,

Having lived in both Sydney and the US I felt that I had to reply!!

I lived in Sydney for 19 years. My husband is Australian. I felt when I lived there that I just didn't belong and I never really settled. 7 years ago my husband was offered a job in New York and I jumped at the chance. He was sponsored by his employer and given a H1b visa. After approximately 18 months we got our green cards. My husband is an Engineer in a pretty specialized field.

Initially I loved it here. The buzz of NYC and close proximity to Europe. Also, we have made some very special friends in the last 7 years. We still enjoy living here however, we have decided to return to Sydney next year! There are many reasons for this.

Firstly, our son lives in Sydney and we both miss him very much. I, more than my husband, hate the bitter winters here. Manhattan is pretty hectic and we are both looking forward to a slower pace of life. But more than anything, we both feel that the USA, and in particular New York, is a pretty uncaring society. We both hate the fact that there is no safety net here and people are two pay cheques away from bankruptsy. I am a Medical Social Worker and I have seen first hand what the effects of not being able to afford health care can have on people. Also, having worked in rehabilition, I'm sick of working with young kids who have suffered horrendous injuries because of gunshot wounds. Violent crime is part of life here in some neighbourhoods.

On the possitive side. I truly do believe that if you are white, English speaking, with an education that this is still the land of opportunity! We definately have more disposable income here than we did in Australia, despite NYC being an incredibly expensive city to live in. I know money isn't everything, but when you are bringing up young kids it certainly helps! I know a few expat families who live in the suburbs with kids who absolutely love living here. I would also like to add our experience with regards to work practices here compared to Australia. We worked a lot harder with far more stress and pressure on us in Sydney that we have ever experienced here in New York City. We believe that Americans don't know what hard work is!
Hi there,
Thanks for a great reply, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who cannot seem to settle in Sydney, there are many people who think you must be strange not to!!! Your views on the work ethos in the US are very interesting, the general consensus in the UK is that in Oz you work very little and spend most of the day on the beach or at a barbie! Whilst the view of the US is that you work 24/7. I admit that before coming to Oz I was also one of those people, but I can honestly say hubby has worked harder here that he did in the UK, and that was for an American firm. Another myth is that once you sell your UK property, you will be able to afford a mansion complete with pool and 1/4 of an acre, very big myth if you plan on living in Sydney, we are currently paying $1200 a week rent!!!! (Ozzie dollars).

Big question???? If your son were not here, would you still be going back to Oz? Or do you really feel you have a better life in USA?

Thanks

Louise
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Florida is full by the way. Sorry.
Full of what, may I ask?

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:56 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Thanks for all the replies, however, feel a little deflated now, didn't realise it was so difficult to enter the US.
...plus taking the bar exam in New York will be somewhat less than a whole barrel of laughs.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:05 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Full of what, may I ask?

NC Penguin
Wind?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:32 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Wind?
No, that was Wheezy, but it's OK - she's feeling a little deflated now
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Full of what, may I ask?

NC Penguin
Chavs
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is a lawyer, so if he applied for a job in the US, he would then be on a L1a Visa, is that correct? Are there plenty of firms willing to sponsor on these visas? How long do you have to do before getting Green Card?
Problem he would find, even if he could find someone to sponsor him, unless he took the bar for the state, he really wouldn't be anything over here and the bar ain't easy...unless he could find a job dealing with UK clients in the US...which makes it even more tougher I guess...
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, however, feel a little deflated now, didn't realise it was so difficult to enter the US. That'll teach me for being as green as cabbage
I think people consider us mean in this forum when questions like yours often come down to us demanding that the OP put the visa method on the table first. We've upset a few recently (not you I might add!).

But it really is the only way. The method to the visa comes first and then all else follows. Without this, it's pie in the sky.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:43 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Angry White Pyjamas]Feasable but not practical. Most people dont get enough vacation time to go back anything other than 1 week a year or so and then the flights from the US to the UK cost in the region of $1000 per person.

I have to disagree with the above from here in NYC!!!
We can get really cheap flights back to the UK. British Airways just had a special for $139 each way. Other airlines are always posting specials all over Europe. It's a long 8 hour flight granted, but you can do it over a long weekend......we have done so a number of times.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:08 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=WHEEZY]Hi there,
Thanks for a great reply, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who cannot seem to settle in Sydney, there are many people who think you must be strange not to!!! Your views on the work ethos in the US are very interesting, the general consensus in the UK is that in Oz you work very little and spend most of the day on the beach or at a barbie! Whilst the view of the US is that you work 24/7. I admit that before coming to Oz I was also one of those people, but I can honestly say hubby has worked harder here that he did in the UK, and that was for an American firm. Another myth is that once you sell your UK property, you will be able to afford a mansion complete with pool and 1/4 of an acre, very big myth if you plan on living in Sydney, we are currently paying $1200 a week rent!!!! (Ozzie dollars).

Big question???? If your son were not here, would you still be going back to Oz? Or do you really feel you have a better life in USA?

Wheezy,

I'll try replying again....the last one is lost somewhere in cyberspace. I hope this doesn't come up twice.

Firstly, let me say that we are all different. What suits one does not necessarily suit another so I can really sympathize with you not being able to settle in Sydney. It's not for everyone, but unfortunately, any mention of not fitting in/not liking it there evokes very strong emotions from people. Nobody can advise you where to live, only you can work that one out.

As for would I be going back to Oz if my son was not here - I really don't know, but I am definately looking forward to returning and starting a new chapter in my life. I suppose we all want different things at different stages in our lives. I know that when I first arrived here in NY I absolutely loved it here. I never had the same feelings about the place that I did about Oz and felt that if we had of moved here when my son was school age I would have had no problems settling in. There are some beautiful suburbs that were very affordable 6 years ago. Unfortunately, house prices have gone crazy over here like everywhere else. Not wanting to put a damper on things but with regards to qualifications that really is a big issue here. My husband didnt have any problems working and his degree being recognised but for me it was a nightmare. All in all it took 2 years for my qualifications to be recognised as the equivalent of a US MSW !

My reasons for going back at this stage are somewhat complex. A major part is to live close to my son, but also we are really looking forward to winding back a bit. We are 52 years and my husband wants to work contract for only part of the year which he can do in Australia and which we can afford to do at this stage. I would like to work 2-3 days a week. I can't do that in NY. The winters here in NY are starting to get to me. I find the winter horrible. I am looking forward to living somewhere warm and close to the beach. Fortunately, we didn't sell our house in Sydney so we can afford to. I could go on but by the same token I have no illusions about Australia and know it will not be utopia. This is just where I'm at at this stage in my life and who knows where life will lead in the future.

I wish you all the best in your decisions. Good luck.

C.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

We can get really cheap flights back to the UK. British Airways just had a special for $139 each way. Other airlines are always posting specials all over Europe. It's a long 8 hour flight granted, but you can do it over a long weekend......we have done so a number of times.
Nice. Personally I couldnt be bothered with going to the UK for long weekends. Not with kids and dogs, regardless of price, unless it was for a family emergency.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

NY is the exception though. Everyone else sees those BA ads and then realises its a few hundred more to fly to NY, and that its one way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.