British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/america-australia-views-please-332263/)

WHEEZY Oct 19th 2005 4:04 am

America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Hi, we are a family of 4 living in Sydney, arrived about 8 months ago from the UK. We decided to move to Australia when Hubby was offered a fantastic job opportunity here, and so seemed silly not to try it. However, I just cannot seem to settle, I know its early days, but cannot help feeling the place just isn't me :( . We have travelled alot over the last 7 years, including 3 times to the States, and genuinely feel that I would settle better there than here. Hubby has said he is not ready to return to the UK, but is open to suggestions on where else to try.

I'd therefore, love to hear from anyone has lived in both countries and can give some useful advice and comparisons. Our children are 5 and 6 and also feel that since we have been in Oz, their education has sufferred somewhat. It would also be interesting therefore to hear what the education system is like in USA.

Thanks

Louise :)

Eskimo Oct 19th 2005 4:07 am

Re: America Or Australia?? Views Please!!!!

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi, we are a family of 4 living in Sydney, arrived about 8 months ago from the UK. We decided to move to Australia when Hubby was offered a fantastic job opportunity here, and so seemed silly not to try it. However, I just cannot seem to settle, I know its early days, but cannot help feeling the place just isn't me :( . We have travelled alot over the last 7 years, including 3 times to the States, and genuinely feel that I would settle better there than here. Hubby has said he is not ready to return to the UK, but is open to suggestions on where else to try.

I'd therefore, love to hear from anyone has lived in both countries and can give some useful advice and comparisons. Our children are 5 and 6 and also feel that since we have been in Oz, their education has sufferred somewhat. It would also be interesting therefore to hear what the education system is like in USA.

Thanks

Louise :)

what nationality are you both ?

Bob Oct 19th 2005 4:09 am

Bloomin' hard getting to the US onless one is married to a USC, or gets a company transfer out here....

have a look at the faq to see where you'd fit visa wise...no point in looking if you don't have a chance and all that...

as for education, that wildly depends on which state you settle in, and even then, where within that state.

WHEEZY Oct 19th 2005 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
what nationality are you both ?

British, Birmingham actually!!

dbj1000 Oct 19th 2005 4:22 am

Are you aware of how difficult it is to get a visa to work here in the US if you're not American?

It's certainly the first think you need to think about, before any other consideration as to whether you'd want to live here!

WHEEZY Oct 19th 2005 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Bloomin' hard getting to the US onless one is married to a USC, or gets a company transfer out here....

have a look at the faq to see where you'd fit visa wise...no point in looking if you don't have a chance and all that...

as for education, that wildly depends on which state you settle in, and even then, where within that state.

We are on temporary visas in Oz at the mo', husband's firm sponsoring us etc, would it not be the same for us in the US, ie, if he had a job offer would the visa application be similar?

Regarding the states to settle in, my great love is New York!

Thanks for the reply

Louise

TouristTrap Oct 19th 2005 4:23 am

Want to list your dislikes with Australia?

WHEEZY Oct 19th 2005 4:30 am

Originally Posted by izibear
Want to list your dislikes with Australia?

Mainly, the fact that it is so remote from the rest of the world. There are others but would hate to offend anybody, and need to go and collect my daughter from school now. Back soon. x

dbj1000 Oct 19th 2005 4:34 am

We are on temporary visas in Oz at the mo', husband's firm sponsoring us etc, would it not be the same for us in the US, ie, if he had a job offer would the visa application be similar?

Thanks for the reply

Louise

No, it would not be similar. Firstly, he would only stand a chance at a visa if we has some particularly scarce job skill. Perhaps more importantly, all the "skilled professional" H1B visas for this year went a long time ago. The earliest you would be able to apply for the 2006 quota of 65,000 H1B visas is October 1st 2005, and if this year is anything like recent years, most (if not all) of those visas will be assigned on the first day to applications that have already been prepared.

...if, on the other hand, your husband's company has a branch in the US and wants to transfer him, and he is a sufficiently senior manager or equivalent, then he maybe qualifies for an L1 visa.

You really need to check out the visa forums before you go any further. Chances are, you're not likely to get a visa any time soon, and should perhaps consider other options.

Ray Oct 19th 2005 4:41 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
time ago. The earliest you would be able to apply for the 2006 quota of 65,000 H1B visas is October 1st 2005, and if this year is anything like recent years, most (if not all) of those visas will be assigned on the first day to applications that have already been prepared.

No No No..... First date of application is April 1st 2006 for an Oct issue
this year they run out Aug 14 or 17th can't remember whick ...

dbj1000 Oct 19th 2005 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Ray
No No No..... First date of application is April 1st 2006 for an Oct issue
this year they run out Aug 14 or 17th can't remember whick ...

Ah, Ray, you're so polite... but you're right :)

This year they ran out on August 10th, the earliest date in H1B history, according to Murthy.com.

So, to the OP, I'd say that coming over here to work on an H1B visa is out of the question unless you can wait a year or so.

Eskimo Oct 19th 2005 4:59 am

well you're sorted... then no probs... there's a special visa for people who pronounce like as "loike" :D

Actually I asked cos I was going ask how you intended on getting here .. but everyone else has now asked that ! L1a (company sponsorship) is how we are here (awaiting Green card) but I work for a US company, who does he work for and what does he do ?

dbj1000 Oct 19th 2005 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
well you're sorted... then no probs... there's a special visa for people who pronounce like as "loike" :D

Actually I asked cos I was going ask how you intended on getting here .. but everyone else has now asked that ! L1a (company sponsorship) is how we are here (awaiting Green card) but I work for a US company, who does he work for and what does he do ?

...and before you answer, do remember that "My husband's a brickie, and I'm a child minder and we LUV Disney World and we're really determined to live in America and nothing you spoil-sports can say will stop us" tends to be the all-too-frequent response around here, so any deviations from that plot in your reply will be greatly appreciated by all! :D

Ray Oct 19th 2005 5:13 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah, Ray, you're so polite... but you're right :)

This year they ran out on August 10th, the earliest date in H1B history, according to Murthy.com.

I am always right this time of night ..she is already asleep ...
We are both wrong on the date ..it was the 12th
http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...ap_12Aug05.pdf

Bob Oct 19th 2005 5:19 am

bloomin' expensive to live, bloomin' tough to get a job out there....
best bet would be to do a student visa and study over here....unless you work in research or somin' uni related.