British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ambrosia Creamed Rice - sell by dates question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ambrosia-creamed-rice-sell-dates-question-761379/)

HarryTheSpider Jun 11th 2012 2:17 pm

Ambrosia Creamed Rice - sell by dates question

I have a couple of tins of the good stuff. came at Christmas. I discovered last night that one is dated Sep 2011, the other Dec 2011 - these are not dates of manufacture!

So is it safe to eat? I only ask because the tins claim not to use preservatives etc and we can't afford too many stays in hospital before exceeding the national debt of Argentina!!

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Ambrosia Creamed Rice - sell by dates question

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10112681)
I have a couple of tins of the good stuff. came at Christmas. I discovered last night that one is dated Sep 2011, the other Dec 2011 - these are not dates of manufacture!

So is it safe to eat? I only ask because the tins claim not to use preservatives etc and we can't afford too many stays in hospital before exceeding the national debt of Argentina!!

a) It's probably dead, because it's tinned but

b) Cooked rice can actually harbour salmonella (a fact learned fairly recently) so why risk it

c) Cost Plus World Market usually carries Ambrosia, so you can restock

d) Make your own rice pudding - make it with condensed or evaporated milk in it to get that creamy thing - and much cheaper than a stay in hospital.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...e-pudding.html

Brat1 Jun 11th 2012 2:28 pm

I wouldn't risk it either, not worth getting sick for so I'd bin them if it was me :)

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 10112696)
I wouldn't risk it either, not worth getting sick for so I'd bin them if it was me :)

And rice pudding is incredibly easy to make. It's one of the few things I can actually cook.

Measure, mix, stick in oven, forget for a long time, eat.

Brat1 Jun 11th 2012 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10112702)
And rice pudding is incredibly easy to make. It's one of the few things I can actually cook.

Measure, mix, stick in oven, forget for a long time, eat.

I can't stand it myself, my mum used to make it with raisins in it and even the smell of it makes me want to :sick:

Although my kids used to like the individual pots of Ambrosia, but sorry, not for me. I love Ambrosia custard though, really miss that.... :(

Nutek Jun 11th 2012 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10112681)

Its Ambrosia... You can't throw it out.

Really... What could go wrong? ;)

Nutmegger Jun 11th 2012 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 10112717)
I can't stand it myself, my mum used to make it with raisins in it and even the smell of it makes me want to :sick:

(

Ditto -- though my aversion comes from the gross muck that was served at school lunch. And that smiley (if I can call it that) -- you've just ruined my day!!! Disgusting!!! LOL :eek:

sir_eccles Jun 11th 2012 4:27 pm

Repressed memories of school dinners resurfacing. Need to find the phone number of my therapist.

Sally Redux Jun 11th 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10112692)
a) It's probably dead, because it's tinned but

b) Cooked rice can actually harbour salmonella (a fact learned fairly recently) so why risk it

c) Cost Plus World Market usually carries Ambrosia, so you can restock

d) Make your own rice pudding - make it with condensed or evaporated milk in it to get that creamy thing - and much cheaper than a stay in hospital.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...e-pudding.html

I love rice pudding but I haven't made it here - what's the equivalent of pudding rice?

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10112915)
I love rice pudding but I haven't made it here - what's the equivalent of pudding rice?

I've been struggling with that one. In England it used to be called Carolina rice, which was very deceptive because you can't seem to get it here at all, in the Carolinas or anywhere else.

I settled on arborio rice but you have to play around with the recipe because it doesn't seem to behave quite the same way.

ChocolateBabz Jun 11th 2012 6:07 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I can buy this stuff at our supermarket:

Sally Redux Jun 11th 2012 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10113032)
I've been struggling with that one. In England it used to be called Carolina rice, which was very deceptive because you can't seem to get it here at all, in the Carolinas or anywhere else.

I settled on arborio rice but you have to play around with the recipe because it doesn't seem to behave quite the same way.

Seems like it would be the closest.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10113059)
I can buy this stuff at our supermarket:

:unsure: have you tried it?

ChocolateBabz Jun 11th 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10113089)
Seems like it would be the closest.

:unsure: have you tried it?

Not yet, but have tried a few of their other products and they are pretty good. I'll pick some up today and be the guinea pig!

I have never had much luck with rice pudding, my rice never gets soft enough. Maybe I am just used to Ambrosia, the great thing is hubby and son can't stand it so I get the whole can to myself. It was my 'craving' when preggers - used to send hubby out for Ambrosia Creamed Rice and a tin of pears :o

Sally Redux Jun 11th 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10113117)
Not yet, but have tried a few of their other products and they are pretty good. I'll pick some up today and be the guinea pig!

I have never had much luck with rice pudding, my rice never gets soft enough. Maybe I am just used to Ambrosia, the great thing is hubby and son can't stand it so I get the whole can to myself. It was my 'craving' when preggers - used to send hubby out for Ambrosia Creamed Rice and a tin of pears :o

Ah I don't like it too creamy. Let us know how it turns out.

Nutek Jun 11th 2012 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10113117)
Maybe I am just used to Ambrosia, the great thing is hubby and son can't stand it so I get the whole can to myself.

Serving Suggestion... Serves one. :lol: