Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
I haven't seen much input from the OP on culture in the USA and thoughts on that.

Obviously the USA is a large diverse nation, but the original Puritan attitudes along with American Individualism prevail. Some people like that. It's just not for me.

These attitudes allow for a lot of enormous social problems that can be swept under the carpet. The individualism allows for high gun ownership and when a Sandy Hook massacre occurs it can be written off as the work of a lone gun man until the next one happens.

Prosperity preaching allows the God Squad to believe that poverty is the fault of the impoverished. During the 2008 financial crisis I couldn't believe how many ordinary people lost their jobs and homes and received no help at all, yet there was help available for those who caused the crisis. Though the God Squad mainly reside in the Deep South you will find them in all 50 states.

There is an incessant drive to cut any and all funding for social programs including food stamps which apparently 1 in 7 Americans now need due to wages being ever driven down. Ordinary people do have to declare bankruptcy over medical bills in the five or six figure price range

Any minor infraction, including drug possession crimes will never be forgotten. If that had happened here you may have lost your eligibility to vote. Such crimes will never be erased from a persons criminal record. Most jobs on the lower end of the spectrum demand criminal background checks and drug testing. The USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world

There is never a day that goes by in the media where some moral bully is not spouting off about abortion and demanding that women have no control over their own reproduction.

That said, I do not associate with people who think like this. I have some absolutely wonderful neighbors, friends and coworkers. It's been great to be able to spend a day hiking in a national park that is only an hours drive away. I've loved all the trips I've been able to take to the Grand Canyon Yellowstone, southern Utah and Colorado. Yes I have a bigger house than I would have been able to afford in the UK.

I think I may have thought a little harder about moving to the USA if I knew then what I know now.
You have to be able to compartmentalise in order to live in the US successfully. I always felt a mental conflict over exactly the issues you have outlined.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You have to be able to compartmentalise in order to live in the US successfully. .....
Only if you don't like it the way it is! I knew what I was "buying into" and have no wish to see much change.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:14 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Only if you don't like it the way it is! I knew what I was "buying into" and have no wish to see much change.
I thought I knew what I was buying into. Truth is until you actually live here you don't know.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought I knew what I was buying into. Truth is until you actually live here you don't know.
Someone with a path to get here can come and try it out for themselves. OP is going to expend a great deal of energy (and money) chasing a combination of Big Country and Baywatch, both of which are works of fiction.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Someone with a path to get here can come and try it out for themselves. OP is going to expend a great deal of energy (and money) chasing a combination of Big Country and Baywatch, both of which are works of fiction.
Maybe Miami Vice or given his previous "interests" Breaking Bad?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Cheech and Chong 'Up in Smoke'?

Soundtrack: 'It Wasn't Me' (Shaggy)
Old Sep 28th 2014, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

A plethora of paths...
Land of opportunity and all that.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
My dream about America is; after a hard day at work if I want to get home and have a BBQ and jump into my own pool any day of the year I can. Working on American trucks/lorries. Driving around in my 4.8 litre V8 pick-up. Being able to watch NFL, NASCAR, NBA, NHL etc at normal times of the day or even live at the arena. Being able to jump into my car and go hiking in places like Sedona and the Grand Canyon at the weekend. The food. Being close to the mountains so I can go snowboarding in the winter even just for the weekend.

I know I've got the easy route in but that's just some of the reasons I want to call America (Arizona) home.
Well America would be the place for you then.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What about the Dukes of Hazzard and the Beverly Hillbillies.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:05 am
Just Joined

BanePage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
My dream about America is; after a hard day at work if I want to get home and have a BBQ and jump into my own pool any day of the year I can. Working on American trucks/lorries. Driving around in my 4.8 litre V8 pick-up. Being able to watch NFL, NASCAR, NBA, NHL etc at normal times of the day or even live at the arena. Being able to jump into my car and go hiking in places like Sedona and the Grand Canyon at the weekend. The food. Being close to the mountains so I can go snowboarding in the winter even just for the weekend.

I know I've got the easy route in but that's just some of the reasons I want to call America (Arizona) home.
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” ~ Calvin Coolidge

My Family Immigrated From England around 1850. Stone Mason. We made it in Texas before the turn of the century. Our Family Architectural firm's name is all over buildings in Austin Texas. You can do it too if you have the guts and determination to fight for what you want in life. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you cannot do it. Come to Texas if you have the attitude. <<<snip>>> Everyone here is from somewhere else. (if you're single, the girls will love you for your accent)

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 8th 2014 at 2:19 am. Reason: Suggesting people should break the law is against BE site Rules
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by BanePage
[I]..... Come to Texas if you have the attitude. <<<snip>>>. Everyone here is from somewhere else. (if you're single, the girls will love you for your accent)
You are a troll, or an idiot, .... or both. Being an illegal is a route to nothing but misery and huge legal problems, so please take your idiocy elsewhere.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 8th 2014 at 2:20 am. Reason: Edit to quote