Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Wikiposts

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

The point of these kinds of threads, which always go the same way, is to point out that everyday life is still going to be a grind in most places, especially if you are not coming as a highly-skilled professional. By all means look at emigrating, but don't wish your life away if it's very unlikely to happen.

Asbestos jacket on.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 26th 2014 at 12:10 pm. Reason: Drunk
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tom12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The point of these kinds of threads, which always go the same way, is to point out that everyday life is still going to be a grind in most places, especially if you are not coming as a highly-skilled professional. By all means look at emigrating, but don't wish your life away if it's very unlikely to happen.

Asbestos jacket on.
I expected this kind of reaction when I began explaining why I was keen to move even though I have barely scratched the surface as to why. I am not so stupid as to think the majority of my time will be spent frolicking around on road trips and swanning on the beach. I am fully aware, and not one bit deterred, by the American work culture and its difference to the UK work culture. I know that everyone is giving their opinion and its appreciated but my desire will not be dampened. I'm afraid it's not as easy as to stop wishing your life away when you want this more than anything else in life and have done for a long time (even though there's a 99.999% chance I am inadmissible even if I get the opportunity for a work visa or at least the money together for an MA).

I would really appreciate some advice on what would someone in my position should do to get them in the best position to become highly skilled professional with the best chance of moving over.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom12

I love the wide open space, vastness and variation that the country offers.

You love something that you've never even experienced! People don't just jump on planes and go places for the fun of it here -- you have more opportunity to jump on a plane and go to a really wonderful city, like Paris, Amsterdam, or Rome, as a resident of London. When I first moved here I met a lovely, educated person in upstate NY who admitted that her kids had never been to the coast and seen the ocean! And I can promise you that the onset of winter can be just as depressing here as in any other country, when you wonder how many feet of snow are going to get dumped on you this time around, and if it will take the power lines with it and leave you freezing your rear end off for days on end.

How do you become a highly skilled professional? Work towards and obtain an advanced degree, develop a good resume, get a job with a company with a US presence, work hard and move up the ladder, and hope for an eventual transfer to the US.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
When I first moved here I met a lovely, educated person in upstate NY who admitted that her kids had never been to the coast and seen the ocean!
Is that really typical though? This is purely anecdotal of course but I'm always quite surprised living in MA by how well traveled a lot of people seem to be here - and i'm talking about blue collar folks here rather than white collar execs. Certainly know a fair number of people who get on planes for the hell of it (firefighters, landscapers and the like) - albeit they're mainly going to Caribbean resorts rather than on European style city breaks.

The living in upstate and not going to the coast thing - it's a long drive to the sea certainly from the more remote parts but surely a trip is do-able even with a miserly vacation allowance if you really want to go.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:11 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Is that really typical though? This is purely anecdotal of course but I'm always quite surprised living in MA by how well traveled a lot of people seem to be here - and i'm talking about blue collar folks here rather than white collar execs. Certainly know a fair number of people who get on planes for the hell of it (firefighters, landscapers and the like) - albeit they're mainly going to Caribbean resorts rather than on European style city breaks.

The living in upstate and not going to the coast thing - it's a long drive to the sea certainly from the more remote parts but surely a trip is do-able even with a miserly vacation allowance if you really want to go.

How much of the US have you spent time in outside of MA? MA and CT -- and of course NYC, LA, SF, etc. -- are not at all typical of the US. If you haven't visited the heartland, you possibly can't imagine how insular people can be.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
How much of the US have you spent time in outside of MA? MA and CT -- and of course NYC, LA, SF, etc. -- are not at all typical of the US. If you haven't visited the heartland, you possibly can't imagine how insular people can be.
I go to Detroit a fair bit on business but I dunno if that counts as heartland. The people I meet there are well traveled but that's because I'm in Dearborn where the Muslim community is & there are a lot of links to Pakistan etc.. I imagine outside of that it's a different story.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"How do you become a highly skilled professional? Work towards and obtain an advanced degree, develop a good resume, get a job with a company with a US presence, work hard and move up the ladder, and hope for an eventual transfer to the US."

Worth repeating.

Nutmegger in a Nutshell...
Old Sep 27th 2014, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

when you want this more than anything else in life and have done for a long time
Just seems a mite unhealthy obsession based on little basis. Better to work towards a happy, healthy life wherever you are, making the most of it. This doesn't arise from a geographic location.

It's just a bit different over here, but not fantastically so.

However it may be more fruitful for you to move the conversation to realistic career plans? You'll get lots of good advice.

Which advanced degree for an in-demand area could you go for?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I would really appreciate some advice on what would someone in my position should do to get them in the best position to become highly skilled professional with the best chance of moving over.
Honestly, for you, I would start with a legal consultation. If your controlled substance violation is a show-stopper, would it not be better to work toward an interesting and fulfilling career in a country to which you could relocate permanently? Given even a non-immigrant US visa will be heavy going, it seems like a particularly painful path to nowhere to cling to the US dream if it's not actually viable.

As is often mentioned around here, choosing a career based on immigration potential is a fool's errand. Look at the areas where you have an interest and ability; by all means use international portability as a means to select from that list, but don't use it to construct it in the first place.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
"How do you become a highly skilled professional? Work towards and obtain an advanced degree, develop a good resume, get a job with a company with a US presence, work hard and move up the ladder, and hope for an eventual transfer to the US."

Worth repeating.

Nutmegger in a Nutshell...
What exactly is considered an advanced degree and highly skilled professional? These mean different things to different people, so examples might be helpful.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
What exactly is considered an advanced degree and highly skilled professional? These mean different things to different people, so examples might be helpful.
Well... I don't have anything more than an advanced degree from the university of life but many people have called me highly skilled (meh ), I tinker with bespoke woodwork, boats of all sizes, vehicle mechanics/engines and have a bit of a reputation as a problem solver - so people call me in when the 'professionals' say it can't be done!!! Not that any of that will help in obtaining a visa but it does mean that I can usually find work wherever I rock up.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Well... I don't have anything more than an advanced degree from the university of life but many people have called me highly skilled (meh ), I tinker with bespoke woodwork, boats of all sizes, vehicle mechanics/engines and have a bit of a reputation as a problem solver - so people call me in when the 'professionals' say it can't be done!!! Not that any of that will help in obtaining a visa but it does mean that I can usually find work wherever I rock up.
Unless you plan to work in a yachting community in the Hamptons and/or find a wealthy millionaire who appreciates your bespoke carpentry skills, I am not sure that will qualify you for even a basic office job here. It is the practicality of applying for a job that may not pay that well, but demands a degree; even retail jobs are asking for an associates ...
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Just seems a mite unhealthy obsession based on little basis. Better to work towards a happy, healthy life wherever you are, making the most of it. This doesn't arise from a geographic location.

It's just a bit different over here, but not fantastically so.

However it may be more fruitful for you to move the conversation to realistic career plans? You'll get lots of good advice.

Which advanced degree for an in-demand area could you go for?
Well seeing as I have done a mickey mouse humanities degree in many ways I am worse off than a person with no degree. I'm really open to anything but most STEM based MA/PHDs and other advanced degrees that will allow for immigration need a STEM undergraduate degree.

Does the USA actually have any skills shortages?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by retzie
Honestly, for you, I would start with a legal consultation. If your controlled substance violation is a show-stopper, would it not be better to work toward an interesting and fulfilling career in a country to which you could relocate permanently? Given even a non-immigrant US visa will be heavy going, it seems like a particularly painful path to nowhere to cling to the US dream if it's not actually viable.

As is often mentioned around here, choosing a career based on immigration potential is a fool's errand. Look at the areas where you have an interest and ability; by all means use international portability as a means to select from that list, but don't use it to construct it in the first place.
Well I know that it is virtually a certainty I will be lucky to ever travel to the USA, and living there is about as likely walking on the sun. I know that its not a sprint but a marathon crawling through broken glass on my knees.

Currently I have no ability and but great interest in becoming highly skilled ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.