Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Against all odds...

Originally Posted by bewildering
Hmmm. These meta studies of 'health', or 'quality of life', or 'education', or 'happiness' are all flawed; especially when dealing with the USA. They are more a measure of the diversity of your country.

The USA is a diverse place. More diverse than any other country in these lists. When the authors of these studies take averages of their values they combine values of professionals that live in New York along with values from people that live in rural Alabama. This results in meaningless data. This happens for other countries, but the result for the USA is skewed by the large inequalities and geographic disparities that exist.

The lesson from these, and every other study, is that if you are a college educated then your life will be similar in any country. The results for professionals are essentially the same across all countries.

If Tom moves to the USA he will do well, just as well as in the UK, or Finland, or Australia.
I worry a bit more about my son living in the US than I would if he lived in a country with more employment protection and universal healthcare provision.

I don't think that we can guarantee that Tom12 will do well, although of course we would hope so.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

If Tom moves to the USA he will do well..
With a Mickey Mouse degree and a c level education?
You really think that?
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You really think that?
To say nothing of the controlled substance issue to overcome to start with . . .
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I worry a bit more about my son living in the US than I would if he lived in a country with more employment protection and universal healthcare provision.

I don't think that we can guarantee that Tom12 will do well, although of course we would hope so.
Employment protection exists as much in the USA as the UK, Ireland or even Germany. The key to employment protection is to choose a career were you preform a valuable function. Any business can collapse and even government jobs can be lost.

I am confused by people saying the US has no universal healthcare. If you have no income or saving you qualify for medicaid. The previous lack of coverage problem applied to the working poor, but Obamacare has fixed that problem.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

You really think that?
Yes. From the census:

No GED $18,900-$22,000.
High School Diploma $26,000-$30,400.
Associates; $33-$38,000
Bachelors; $45,400-$52,000
Master's; $54,500-$62,300
Professional degree $99,300-$109,600
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Employment protection exists as much in the USA as the UK, Ireland or even Germany. The key to employment protection is to choose a career were you preform a valuable function. Any business can collapse and even government jobs can be lost.

I am confused by people saying the US has no universal healthcare. If you have no income or saving you qualify for medicaid. The previous lack of coverage problem applied to the working poor, but Obamacare has fixed that problem.
Go for it.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Employment protection exists as much in the USA as the UK, Ireland or even Germany. The key to employment protection is to choose a career were you preform a valuable function.
Have you heard of At Will Employment?

and

as regards career choice...valuable employees get laid off all the time for reasons beyond their control and not necessarily related to their performance or function.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Go for it.
Your diplomacy, as always, speaks volumes.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you heard of At Will Employment?

and

as regards career choice...valuable employees get laid off all the time for reasons beyond their control and not necessarily related to their performance or function.
For sure. But dress up 'employment security' any way want and it comes down to two questions: is the business making money, and are you performing your task to an adequate level. A negative to either of these questions and you will not a have a job. Ask the Phones-4U employees about job security.

If you are poor and uneducated then your opportunities will be lacking in any country. Tom appears to educated and he will be fine in any country. He also appears to have a bit of 'get up and go', which is rewarded in the US. Moreso than the UK in my opinion.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For sure. But dress up 'employment security' any way want and it comes down to two questions: is the business making money, and are you performing your task to an adequate level. A negative to either of these questions and you will not a have a job.
A yes to both those questions doesn't assure security.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<SNIP> The previous lack of coverage problem applied to the working poor, but Obamacare has fixed that problem.
You can't eat Obamacare.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. From the census:

No GED $18,900-$22,000.
High School Diploma $26,000-$30,400.
Associates; $33-$38,000
Bachelors; $45,400-$52,000
Master's; $54,500-$62,300
Professional degree $99,300-$109,600
Sounds wonderful! The catch is to actually secure the job, then hope it has adequate benefits.

And no you do not automatically get medicaid if you are unemployed. So living in the US means you have a lot more to worry about if you become jobless
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I am confused by people saying the US has no universal healthcare. If you have no income or saving you qualify for medicaid. The previous lack of coverage problem applied to the working poor, but Obamacare has fixed that problem.
Go Google <medicaid expansion> to find out how wrong that assertion is.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

I always had the dream myself, looking back I am not so sure why. I actually made a bet with two friends when I was 12 for £10 that I would be living in the US by the time I was 30.

On the face of it is a great country and some of the lifestyles the US can offer are second to none. However drill down on a benefits levels and many of those are no where near as comparable to the UK. I feel I can't comment too much as I have been very lucky with the benefits offered by my employer.

Would you not consider returning to Australia?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Originally Posted by unique_boy
I always had the dream myself, looking back I am not so sure why. I actually made a bet with two friends when I was 12 for £10 that I would be living in the US by the time I was 30.

On the face of it is a great country and some of the lifestyles the US can offer are second to none. However drill down on a benefits levels and many of those are no where near as comparable to the UK. I feel I can't comment too much as I have been very lucky with the benefits offered by my employer.

Would you not consider returning to Australia?
What makes you think he's eligible to live in Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.