British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Amazon customer service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/amazon-customer-service-773755/)

Bink Oct 8th 2012 12:14 am

Re: Amazon customer service

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10315987)
Love Amazon for their customer service. Always find them so helpful.

Me too. Never had issue with them.

UPS on the other hand... When did they decide that actually delivering was unimportant?! I've had many things go missing here. They don't even wait to see if you're home they just leave them out front in full view. They have also frequently delivered to the wrong address even though the parcel was addressed correctly. They just don't care.

NatashaB Oct 8th 2012 3:31 pm

I must have bought thousands of items from Amazon. I go there for pretty much everything we need - foreign foods, DIY stuff, electronics, books, baby stuff. I have only ever had one issue, when they sent me Hersheys instead of M&Ms - and they refunded me, let me keep the Hersheys and sent me a replacement, couldn't ask for better than that. They even sold me a new Kindle for $40, even though it was a) out of warranty and b) originally came from Best Buy, not amazon. I did pay out for prime membership though so don't have the issue with slow shipping. Given how much I order from there it has paid for itself multiple times, and the Amazon instant video is pretty good too (free with prime).

I have the Chase Amazon visa card so i rack up lots of points which can be redeemed on Amazon, I have about $100 in points which I'll use to buy Christmas presents.

GeoffM Oct 8th 2012 4:13 pm

One of the parcels did indeed arrive on the Saturday morning (Fedex), and the other is due this week I think.

Guindalf Oct 8th 2012 7:15 pm

I've always had good luck with Amazon customer service. One thing that p'ed me off recently though was when I bought a receiver and then, a day later, it was available locally for $100 less. I had to return it and re-buy it locally and they charged me $22 return shipping!

Apart from that, everything's always been good. I've had Prime for the last two years (first year free and second for $39 due to my wife working in a college) and the renewal is now $79. I am happy to pay it for the streaming and two-day delivery. I ordered the Avengers last week and it arrived the next day - and I'm nowhere near a distribution center!

GeoffM Oct 8th 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10320305)
One thing that p'ed me off recently though was when I bought a receiver and then, a day later, it was available locally for $100 less. I had to return it and re-buy it locally and they charged me $22 return shipping!

That sounds reasonable though - after all, you changed your mind after it was shipped and Amazon fulfilled the contract you agreed to. You're still $78 better off! Next time though, apparently you can refuse delivery (if you catch the delivery driver before he dumps it on a doorstep!) and it'll go back to the sender - at no cost to you.

Michael Oct 8th 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10320305)
I've always had good luck with Amazon customer service. One thing that p'ed me off recently though was when I bought a receiver and then, a day later, it was available locally for $100 less. I had to return it and re-buy it locally and they charged me $22 return shipping!

Apart from that, everything's always been good. I've had Prime for the last two years (first year free and second for $39 due to my wife working in a college) and the renewal is now $79. I am happy to pay it for the streaming and two-day delivery. I ordered the Avengers last week and it arrived the next day - and I'm nowhere near a distribution center!

If you would have lied and said it didn't work correctly, they would have refunded the full amount and paid for the shipping. B&H Photo has the same policy.

GeoffM Oct 8th 2012 10:05 pm

And the second one arrived today.

Guindalf Oct 9th 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10320341)
That sounds reasonable though - after all, you changed your mind after it was shipped and Amazon fulfilled the contract you agreed to. You're still $78 better off! Next time though, apparently you can refuse delivery (if you catch the delivery driver before he dumps it on a doorstep!) and it'll go back to the sender - at no cost to you.

Unfortunately, I saw the ad AFTER it was delivered, so this was not an option.

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10320508)
If you would have lied and said it didn't work correctly, they would have refunded the full amount and paid for the shipping. B&H Photo has the same policy.

Yes, Michael, but that involves LYING, which I would not do!

Weeze Oct 9th 2012 12:55 pm

Was it amazon or amazon marketplace? I've never been charged for my returns with amazon, even just changing my mind. They even gave me the money back for a 2 year old toy because I complained it had broken and a nail was exposed.

Guindalf Oct 9th 2012 2:46 pm

Returns are always free for faulty merchandise. They only charge if you return something that's not their fault (or not defective).

I was told, however, that I would get a FULL refund, but was charged the return shipping anyway.