Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race

The Amazing Race

Old Dec 9th 2012, 5:45 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Amazing Race

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
That was uncalled for. This was supposed to be a light hearted thread about an entertainment show.
Sorry to hurt your feelings, but I was just pointing out that stealing has no levels - active or passive, it's about intent of depriving someone of what you know to be theirs without the intent to return it.
(and my comparison example was a recent example that cause an uproar from a political campaign)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/steal

I'll also add, that the people of Bangladesh were wonderful in donating money to the men, but they could ill afford to, and in my book, the twins may have stolen directly from those people. I wrote to the production team to see if those people were reimbursed. I have yet to receive an answer.

Last edited by Trixie_b; Dec 9th 2012 at 5:48 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Sorry to hurt your feelings, but I was just pointing out that stealing has no levels - active or passive, it's about intent of depriving someone of what you know to be theirs without the intent to return it.
(and my comparison example was a recent example that cause an uproar from a political campaign)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/steal

I'll also add, that the people of Bangladesh were wonderful in donating money to the men, but they could ill afford to, and in my book, the twins may have stolen directly from those people. I wrote to the production team to see if those people were reimbursed. I have yet to receive an answer.
I agree with you Trixie, although I have continued watching the show. I was shocked nothing happened to them when they kept the money.

My daughter also wants to go on TAR with my husband when she's 18.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 6:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I like TAR when I see it, but do not get to see it regular. I did not see the stealing episode. I think Trixie has raised an excellent question, and what do we turn a blind eye to, just because it is on TV and the sort of authority that gives to the producers.

Kudos to Trixie for taking a personal stand.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:11 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I like TAR when I see it, but do not get to see it regular. I did not see the stealing episode. I think Trixie has raised an excellent question, and what do we turn a blind eye to, just because it is on TV and the sort of authority that gives to the producers.

Kudos to Trixie for taking a personal stand.
(Thanks for the Kudos.)
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I'll also add, that the people of Bangladesh were wonderful in donating money to the men, but they could ill afford to, and in my book, the twins may have stolen directly from those people.
I understand the rest of your comments but I think the notion that they also stole from the Bangladeshis is a bit strong. The Bangladeshis chose to help: they weren't forced to. And IIRC the vast majority came from an obviously rich lady, complete with personal driver.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:41 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I understand the rest of your comments but I think the notion that they also stole from the Bangladeshis is a bit strong. The Bangladeshis chose to help: they weren't forced to. And IIRC the vast majority came from an obviously rich lady, complete with personal driver.
One of the comments made by one man, was "you are my guest in this country", and with the TV cameras there, I think there was an element of wanting to show their country in the best light.
Their generosity was great, but it wouldn't have been needed if the theft hadn't have occurred. As I say, I'm waiting for the production team to respond to my question of if they were reimbursed or not.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Wahoo! We actually cheered when the twins got knocked out.

Good to see the nicest team won for a change, even though they were incredibly wet. It was nice that he stopped to make sure Lexi was ok after smacking herself on the head.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Where were the twins from? every time I heard them speak it sounded like a different place.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:16 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Where were the twins from? every time I heard them speak it sounded like a different place.
Sri Lanka originally
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:18 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by N1cky
Sri Lanka originally
thanks. (Sri Lanka was not one of the places I had thought)
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:17 am
He/him

Just watched the Bangladesh to Turkey episode.

My guess is that the donors were given the money by the production company.
Something that they will not be able to admit if it I true.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the finale. Great result!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:40 am
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Just watched the finale. Great result!
I know the result from twitter...........
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I know the result from twitter...........
I had to ignore this thread until after watching the recording tonight!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:41 am
He/him

I just got around to watching the final. Glad they won.