Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Yes I'm right but not for the reason you say.

I made a similar change, from High Energy physicist working at CERN to Adobe Systems.

That sort of career change especially in your 40's is atypical. ie. not very common or routine.

And to re-train enough, when approaching 50, to be attractive enough to an employer while living outside the US, is tall order.
You are right for the reasons you say but they are atypical.
Just go to any nursing school and see how many of the student nurses are in their 40's.
The nursing schools are full of people wanting to re-train.
Not applicable in the OP's case maybe, but it shows how people wanting to re-train or change careers are willing and easily able to do so.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jkuk
Thank you, this is the sort of post I was hoping for, some great advice and help.
This was what i was going to suggest. I know a British couple (no kids) who used the E2 investments visa (kids would be able to go to college) to purchase a Cold Stone Creamery franchise just around the corner from where i live. They work there at the weekends and hire kids to run it during the week.

The job just involves scooping various different flavours of ice cream onto a chilled slab and then mixing in crappy america candy. Anyone can do it. Apparently lots of Americans are prepared to pay $5 for a small cup or cone of this stuff.

The drawback is you never actually immigrate on an E2 you can reapply but only if your business is making more than enough to support you and your family. As others have said you would be taking on a huge gamble. Poor health and retirement savings would be major issues long term. You would never qualify for any kind of medicare/medicaid as far as i'm aware.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

mwdake: I'm too tired to split hairs.

I am saying that your specific example, getting in to the software industry, is unusual at your age.

And generally, with some exceptions, training for a completely different career change in a professional area is more difficult as you reach your 40's and 50's.

Let's not pretend otherwise.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

mwdake: I'm too tired to split hairs.

I am saying that your specific example, getting in to the software industry, is unusual at your age.

And generally, with some exceptions, training for a completely different career change in a professional area is more difficult as you reach your 40's and 50's.

Let's not pretend otherwise.
I never said it was not difficult, I was using an example to say it was possible and share my experience.

I forgot to apply rule #1 before posting.

So, no need to tire yourself any further splitting hairs; my input for this post is complete.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
This was what i was going to suggest. I know a British couple (no kids) who used the E2 investments visa (kids would be able to go to college) to purchase a Cold Stone Creamery franchise just around the corner from where i live. They work there at the weekends and hire kids to run it during the week.

The job just involves scooping various different flavours of ice cream onto a chilled slab and then mixing in crappy america candy. Anyone can do it. Apparently lots of Americans are prepared to pay $5 for a small cup or cone of this stuff.
Not enough people apparently. Cold Stone has a terrible reputation for failed franchises and terrible business practice. (I just hope we don't end up with Doucey as our next governor)
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jkuk
OK one will be employed by an American organization so no worry there the other would need to find or do something.
I would like to know the details on this one. How do you know he'll be employed by an American company at a certain point in the future? Does he have that in writing from the company? How do you know for sure that company will sponsor him fora work visa?

Rene
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwdake
I never said it was not difficult, I was using an example to say it was possible and share my experience.
"and easily able to do so."

But ok, never mind, peace and all that...
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not enough people apparently. Cold Stone has a terrible reputation for failed franchises and terrible business practice. (I just hope we don't end up with Doucey as our next governor)
That's true. Good product but rather expensive and they now have a lot of competition by supermarket brands with their own novel recipes.

(Salted Caramel Gelato for Mrs H.)

I've noticed more than one shuttered in my travels.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
"and easily able to do so."

But ok, never mind, peace and all that...
Plus the small matter of "Of course I am already here in the US..."
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Plus the small matter of "Of course I am already here in the US..."
Oh that small thing? piffle..

How's your head?
How's the wall?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwdake
Of course I am already here in the US but as an answer to if you are too old to re-train you are not.
And that's the biggest hurdle.

Chances of someone getting a employer sponsored visa is already fairly small. One with no experience means it is realistically a no goer, unless they do the university route and perhaps a internship, but I have no idea if there is a age restriction for a J1. Skipping that and doing the study/experience in the UK and you're still looking at a 10 year plan and hitting the 50's, not that age should get in the way, but it does, unfortunately.

The OP's most realistic option is being willing to toss all his life's savings down the pan if he wants to go for it and hope it works out, or if not willing to gamble, to just get on with life.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
unless they do the university route and perhaps a internship, but I have no idea if there is a age restriction for a J1.
I really don't understand J1's. I know 2 people who moved here on J1 visa's, but were fully employed in high positions for a company.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I really don't understand J1's. I know 2 people who moved here on J1 visa's, but were fully employed in high positions for a company.
It comes in many flavours.

Internship after being a recent graduate is the common one, along with coming over in a training role to get some experience for a couple years. Also come over via an agency as a au-pair.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:08 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It comes in many flavours.

Internship after being a recent graduate is the common one, along with coming over in a training role to get some experience for a couple years. Also come over via an agency as a au-pair.
Both these were men in their 40s, highly specialized, recruited from another company where they held similar positions, vast experience. Both earning a minimum of $150k a year, and I know one of them sold his bonus shares for $250k as a down payment on a house.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That seems really strange then...are you in a position to clarify with them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.