Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Originally Posted by Twigstar
E2 visa is a non immigrant investor visa, so it is the visa you would apply for if buying a business or doing a start up business.
Our E2 visa is 100% in my name with my spouse as a dependent.
This does mean he has been able to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) which enables him to work outside of my business. If he wanted to he could find a job and it could ultimately lead to a company sponsoring him and therefore could lead to a green card. We have not chosen that route and we work together in the business.

The issue of children aging out has happened to us as our daughter was 11 when we first arrived in the USA. At 21 when she was no longer eligible to be on the E2 visa we applied and was successful in getting her a F1 student visa so there are ways around aging out.

I just wanted to say it is not all negative and if you really want to make the move there are options out there.
Thank you, this is the sort of post I was hoping for, some great advice and help.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
They have to leave the country, unless they are in continuing higher education, in which case they can obtain a visa to cover them until the conclusion of the course.
OK one will be employed by an American organization so no worry there the other would need to find or do something.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jkuk
Thank you, this is the sort of post I was hoping for, some great advice and help.
Oh my god, so what have you been doing for the past two years?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

No it wasn't

"Am i Too Old To Re-Train" Hence a lot of responses focused on getting a job.

But that's ok.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

OK one will be employed by an American organization so no worry there the other would need to find or do something.
On what visa would that child be employed? He can't work without a visa, and it is often a problem with E2 kids that all their friends start weekend jobs at age 16 and they are prohibited from doing so.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But again, what visa would they get?

F1, student visa is a option, but would mean pretty much paying international rates. It does depend on the institution, but you'd also not be eligible for most forms of financial aid and will have to pay up front.

Also, students on F1 are limited to 20 hours work, on campus, after the first semester of study. Not a problem for everyone, but it can be for some when it comes to independence and settling in.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

But they would still need visas to be employed, so would still need the employing company to jump through hoops to hire them - which no company is likely to be willing do unless there is something special about them.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Am i Too Old To Re-Train
No you are not too old to re-train.

At 44 and after a 20 year career in healthcare I wanted to change careers.
Using my experience in healthcare and learning some programming skills I got a job in software development at a small company that ended becoming part of one of the largest companies in the world. I am now a manager of software development all because of a desire to change careers.

Of course I am already here in the US but as an answer to if you are too old to re-train you are not.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody ban me.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwdake
No you are not too old to re-train.

At 44 and after a 20 year career in healthcare I wanted to change careers.
Using my experience in healthcare and learning some programming skills I got a job in software development at a small company that ended becoming part of one of the largest companies in the world. I am now a manager of software development all because of a desire to change careers.

Of course I am already here in the US but as an answer to if you are too old to re-train you are not.
Well done but atypical example.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Somebody ban me.
No walls handy Sally?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

One other point to stress, living somewhere on any "temporary" visa (H1B,L1,E2 etc)is no good way to lead a normal family life. It comes as a real kick in the teeth, to say the least, when your visa unexpectedly does not get renewed for whatever reason and you have to abandon your life over there and return to the UK at pretty short notice.

I would be extremely wary of any visa route which does not lead to a greencard, if you plan to actually make your lives there, rather than just stay for a few years.

Last edited by fozzyb; Oct 22nd 2014 at 10:59 pm. Reason: Added some punctuation
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Well done but atypical example.
Yes you are right, the USA is famous for people staying in 1 career for all of their life.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:00 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
One other point to stress, living somewhere on any "temporary" visa (H1B,L1,E2 etc)is no good way to lead a normal family life. It comes as a real kick in the teeth to say the least when your visa unexpectedly does not get renewed for whatever reason and you have to abandon your life over there and return to the UK at pretty short notice.

I would be extremely wary of any visa route which does not lead to a greencard, if you plan to actually make your lives there, rather than just stay for a few years.

And until you've lived under these circumstances, you can't imagine how stressful, and all consuming this is.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mwdake
Yes you are right, the USA is famous for people staying in 1 career for all of their life.

Yes I'm right but not for the reason you say.

I made a similar change, from High Energy physicist working at CERN to Adobe Systems.

That sort of career change especially in your 40's is atypical. ie. not very common or routine.

And to re-train enough, when approaching 50, to be attractive enough to an employer while living outside the US, is tall order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.