Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am I Entitled To Medicare or Similar?

Wikiposts

Am I Entitled To Medicare or Similar?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:59 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I Entitled To Medicare or Similar?

waiting for the in laws to die is also a bit odd - (ignoring the moral oddity side of it) they may well live to a ripe old age and keep you waiting a long long time. Is the OP prepared for a potentially very long wait?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
waiting for the in laws to die is also a bit odd - (ignoring the moral oddity side of it) they may well live to a ripe old age and keep you waiting a long long time. Is the OP prepared for a potentially very long wait?
Or spend it, or use it up in medical expenses.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents tried really hard when we were growing up, but we never had any money for "extras". Like many others we had clothes from the jumble sales and new clothes were given as Xmas and Birthday pressies. My husband reminded me of this when, many moons ago now, we were first married and I was desperate to have a baby. We lived in a very small house in the middle of a large city and my husband knew that if we had a baby then we would never get out of that situation and persuaded me to wait.
I'm so glad we did. We continued to work and save until we could afford a better house.
We have a great lifestyle now and I'm not ashamed to say that my kids are not growing up like I did as we have worked bl**dy hard to get where we are.
It all boils down to "are you willing to live with the consequences of your actions"?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:55 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
She doesn't seem to have - he knew that because he read all of her posts:

Did you click the link I posted above? She explains more about her background there.
I did read the other posts before I answered but I still think the comments were unwarranted. (I know the OP flew off the handle too but she had come under seige from everyone.)

I felt sorry that she was being looked on as a freeloader. Her family pay their taxes and perhaps they won't mind their bit being spent on her pregnancy. She probably worked in the UK and her taxes are now being spent on others, that's the way it works.

Anyway..not my argument. I'm off to eat my dinner.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
.......It all boils down to "are you willing to live with the consequences of your actions"?
Indeed.

And, to my mind, this goes much deeper than "can they 'afford' a baby or not?"

The lady is unhappy and homesick. What if, having had a child, the marriage falls apart under all the pressure, and the husband refuses to let her take the child back to the UK?

Then she'd be well and truly stuck.

Until she has sorted out in her own mind where she can/wants to live, having a baby would (IMHO) be an extremely bad idea.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:25 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
My parents tried really hard when we were growing up, but we never had any money for "extras". Like many others we had clothes from the jumble sales and new clothes were given as Xmas and Birthday pressies. My husband reminded me of this when, many moons ago now, we were first married and I was desperate to have a baby. We lived in a very small house in the middle of a large city and my husband knew that if we had a baby then we would never get out of that situation and persuaded me to wait.
I'm so glad we did. We continued to work and save until we could afford a better house.
We have a great lifestyle now and I'm not ashamed to say that my kids are not growing up like I did as we have worked bl**dy hard to get where we are.
It all boils down to "are you willing to live with the consequences of your actions"?
Hat's off.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Even if her and her hubby had a well paid job and good insurance it would do little to change the fact that she is depressed/depressive. I am sure just about every mother on this site would agree with me that even when you are not suffering from depression young babies/children can be mentally wearing.

I personally would recommend the OP getting her depression taken care of, some decent health coverage and a little bit of money set aside 'just in case' before trying to start a family.

Ash
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
The lady is unhappy and homesick. What if, having had a child, the marriage falls apart under all the pressure, and the husband refuses to let her take the child back to the UK?

Then she'd be well and truly stuck.

Until she has sorted out in her own mind where she can/wants to live, having a baby would (IMHO) be an extremely bad idea.
This is a really good point. Too often we see (mostly) women posting on BE, but sometimes men, who find themselves in this exact situation. It really is a heart breaking one.

I think given all the pressure and struggles this woman is facing right now, it is one to really consider.

Last edited by auntie_wolf; Oct 16th 2008 at 3:58 pm. Reason: for clarification
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Homesick English Girl
Oh for god's sakes, listen to yourself, waving the effing martyr flag. Firstly, you have ZERO idea about me OR as to how much "consideration" I've put into it. And to suggest I'm, "Jumping into things" - yet another incorrect assumption. Being 32 years old, I would hardly consider myself young and uneducated, and to accuse me of trying to claim something that other people foot the bill for... you mean like my family and my husband who all PAY THEIR TAXES?
You are ignorant, you are rude, and I DO hope my response offends you, because yours sure as HELL offends ME.
Now shove this question up your do-gooder ass and forget I ever asked the damned thing.
Wow...I think you are unhinged and emotionally unstable. Adopt a dog instead.

Last edited by AlienUk; Oct 17th 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:09 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Wow...I think you are unhinged and emotionally unstable. Adopt a dog instead.
Are we going to continue to batter this poor girl? She's already done the huge climb-down if you can be bothered to go and look.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are we going to continue to batter this poor girl? She's already done the huge climb-down if you can be bothered to go and look.

Ok, I'll behave....no battering!!

I did actually go read AFTER posting.....she does sound quite sweet actually
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:16 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=567251&page=2

actually now she sounds like a complete loony.

And the saddest part of it all - she probably will go and get pregnant to spite us and can you imagine the life the poor baby will have with a mother as comfused and aggressive as that? not to mention having no money. very sad.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP is not here to defend herself, this thread is now closed.