British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Am I eligible for I-I30 ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/am-i-eligible-i-i30-727640/)

nimmiboy Aug 6th 2011 11:29 am

Am I eligible for I-I30 ??

Hi guys,

I am Pakistani citizen and working in Saudi Arabia on work visa. I just want to know that my sister has recently got her GC while living in New Jersey, USA now she wants to file petition I-I30 for me and my family. I am 30 years old, married and having 2 kids age 6 and 2. So please let me know whether I am eligible or not? If I am eligible so what is the processing time for granting the GC to US? As I am living in Saudi Arabia so which will be my processing consulate office would it be US Consulate Pakistan or US Consulate Saudi Arabia ?

Waiting for your reply ..

ian-mstm Aug 6th 2011 1:44 pm

Re: Am I eligible for I-I30 ??

Originally Posted by nimmiboy (Post 9541313)
I just want to know that my sister has recently got her GC while living in New Jersey, USA now she wants to file petition I-I30 for me and my family.

Sorry, but she can not file. Only a US citizen can petition for a brother/sister. In 5 years, she can apply to become a US citizen. Once she becomes a US citizen she can petition for you. In about 10-12 years after that, you'll get the visa.

Ian

S Folinsky Aug 6th 2011 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9541481)
Sorry, but she can not file. Only a US citizen can petition for a brother/sister. In 5 years, she can apply to become a US citizen. Once she becomes a US citizen she can petition for you. In about 10-12 years after that, you'll get the visa.

Ian

Ian, Ian -- are you assuming that sis did not obtain LPR status via marriage to a USC? There are other fact scenarios that might apply -- in fact there was an article in today's L.A. Times on such a scenario. [BTW, the article caused a tear in my eye].

:)

ian-mstm Aug 6th 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9541528)
Ian, Ian -- are you assuming that sis did not obtain LPR status via marriage to a USC?

:) Indeed, that was my assumption.

Nimmiboy - if your sister got her green card as the result of marriage to a US citizen, she can file for naturalization in 3 years... not 5 - assuming she remains married to her US citizen husband.

Ian

nimmiboy Aug 6th 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks for your input. Ok, please let me know can she file petition for her mother (outside USA) while holding GC ??

Noorah101 Aug 6th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by nimmiboy (Post 9542043)
Thanks for your input. Ok, please let me know can she file petition for her mother (outside USA) while holding GC ??

She cannot. Only a USC can file for a parent to immigrate. So, once again, your sister needs to become a USC before she can file for either you or her mother.

Rene

ian-mstm Aug 6th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by nimmiboy (Post 9542043)
Ok, please let me know can she file petition for her mother (outside USA) while holding GC ??

No, she can't. Someone with a GC can only file for a spouse, for an unmarried child under age 21, or an unmarried son/daughter over age 21. No one else. No one.

Ian

nimmiboy Aug 7th 2011 6:43 am

Thanks you guys ..