Reload this Page >

Am I eligible?

Am I eligible?

Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Nikkii55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Am I eligible?

Hi all,

I've searched high and low for information relevant to me but can not find it anywhere!

My fiancée and I currently live in London and are looking to move to New York for 6 to 12 months. While this is relatively easy for my fiancée (she works for an organisation who are happy to transfer her to their New York office), I'm not entirely sure what I would need to do.

In some cases I have read that by being her spouse (we would be married before moving) I would be entitled to work under her L1 (I presume) visa. Elsewhere I have read that I would need one myself.

I currently work as a PA to a senior executive team and would be looking to do something similar over in New York. I do not hold a degree.

Can anyone please offer advise in to whether I would be covered to work under my fiancées visa, and if not, would I be eligible for one myself? Remember this is for a temporary working visa as we are not looking to emigrate permanently.

Also, if anyone has advice on best areas to live in or average monthly living costs, this would also be useful.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible?

You could look here for some info:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

If she gets an L1 then you would be entitled to an L2 which means you can work although the employment authorisation can take a couple of months to come through.

There have been quite a few threads recently about living in New York so you could try the searching the forum (top right on the list of threads page).
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikkii55
Hi all,

I currently work as a PA to a senior executive team and would be looking to do something similar over in New York. I do not hold a degree.
Most PAs in NYC do hold a degree. If you are looking at no more than a year in the US, by the time you receive authorization to seek employment, you will have perhaps nine to ten months left, and I don't see anyone wanting to give you a position when they know you are soon going to be gone.

As to living expenses, where do you live now? If in London, it could be comparable, if you are in the country, far more expensive.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you petitefrancaise. Just had a read and already feel a little more informed. I am assuming you can only apply for EAD once in the U.S. which helps us plan how much to save to take with us initially. Thankfully we can move out of London and live with the in-laws until we have enough saved for apartment deposit, flights, basic starter cash etc.

We know a few people in NYC already which helps with general advice on location, and viewing property before going over.

I don't suppose anyone has advice re medical costs? My other half is on anxiety medication - can't find advice on wether this is covered by medical insurance through employer, how much medical insurance/prescription would cost, etc if we need to do it ourselves...

So many questions! :/
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My other half is on anxiety medication
I'm not sure that NYC is an appropriate living/working place for a person with anxiety issues.

PS Sorry, missed London in your first post!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Most PAs in NYC do hold a degree. If you are looking at no more than a year in the US, by the time you receive authorization to seek employment, you will have perhaps nine to ten months left, and I don't see anyone wanting to give you a position when they know you are soon going to be gone.

As to living expenses, where do you live now? If in London, it could be comparable, if you are in the country, far more expensive.

Thanks for this, to be fair I would be happy to do any job as long as we experience life in NY for a year -I'd just prefer to be doing what I know and love, although understand I can't be too picky! There may also be a chance I could be taken on at my partners place, but this would be our last resort as we'd like to have our own things too while we're there.

I live in London now, in Islington, so pay over £1,100 PCM for a flat not much bigger than a studio, and we are both on approx 25k salaries at the moment. We get by OK but are expecting NY to be more expensive.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure that NYC is an appropriate living/working place for a person with anxiety issues.

That's a fair assumption but after over 10 years of medication and therapy, and having grown up in central London, she knows (and I know) that NYC is the only other place she could settle. Appreciate the concern though
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

There may also be a chance I could be taken on at my partners place, but this would be our last resort as we'd like to have our own things too while we're there.
It would certainly make life a lot simpler if you didn't have to start a job hunt -- don't rule this out!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

It would certainly make life a lot simpler if you didn't have to start a job hunt -- don't rule this out!
I could work with her easily, it's just a matter of if she could work with me
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I could work with her easily, it's just a matter of if she could work with me
Separate floors of the building, perhaps?!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be married for an L2 visa. Do you plan on marrying before you go?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

we are both on approx 25k salaries at the moment. We get by OK but are expecting NY to be more expensive.
Red flag. If she is only on 25k now what is she expecting to be paid in NYC?

Yes, NYC is more expensive.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NatashaB
You need to be married for an L2 visa. Do you plan on marrying before you go?
Yes, we would be marrying Jan 2016 with a view to going maybe Sep 2016
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Red flag. If she is only on 25k now what is she expecting to be paid in NYC?

Yes, NYC is more expensive.
Technically she is on 27.5k, I on 25k. She would receive the same salary, for the same role, only in dollars I imagine.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we would be marrying Jan 2016 with a view to going maybe Sep 2016
Just checking sometimes people don't realise you can't use the L2 as a partner rather than a spouse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.