Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am I delusional?

Am I delusional?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I delusional?

Originally Posted by RICH
You are not delusional. You are just not seeing clearly
Tee Hee
We're just takin the piss OP...don't take it the wrong way

Last edited by MMcD; Mar 15th 2014 at 5:14 am. Reason: added Rich's quote....
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speedwell
this Yank thought that the term for an "eye doctor" was ophthalmologist. I go to an optometrist when I want glasses.
Yup I think you are. Ophthalmologists are physicians. They have to go to med school. After medical school they do a residency of 3-4 yrs. They offer complete eye care services.

Optometrists on the other hand are medical professionals but not physicians. After college (4 yr college) they spend a few years in a program and upon completion get a degree in optometry.

Personally I prefer to go to an Ophthalmologist rather than an Optometrist.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Yup I think you are. Ophthalmologists are physicians. They have to go to med school. After medical school they do a residency of 3-4 yrs. They offer complete eye care services.

Optometrists on the other hand are medical professionals but not physicians. After college (4 yr college) they spend a few years in a program and upon completion get a degree in optometry.

Personally I prefer to go to an Ophthalmologist rather than an Optometrist.
Bit of a waste of time just to then say, "which one is clearer?" and puff air into your eye.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Bit of a waste of time just to then say, "which one is clearer?" and puff air into your eye.
Perhaps for what you mentioned of course, but for eye surgery etc not so much
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Perhaps for what you mentioned of course, but for eye surgery etc not so much
Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
this Yank thought that the term for an "eye doctor" was ophthalmologist. I go to an optometrist when I want glasses.
An optometrist is where I go to get my eyes checked and then a prescription for glasses. A basic exam is done and if they see problems then off to the ophthalmologist I would go.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
An optometrist is where I go to get my eyes checked and then a prescription for glasses. A basic exam is done and if they see problems then off to the ophthalmologist I would go.
Unless you don't have eye ball insurance and you get your PCP to refer you for a eye test because of those "headaches" you've been having...then insurance would cough up for seeing a ophthalmologist, but they do need to be a MD.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
I am wanting to move to the states, but everywhere I read it says there's little chance and I'm delusional.

I have a 4 year bachelor of science degree, with honours, in optometry and work as an Optometrist in Scotland and have done for the last 7 years. I am looking into becoming qualified in America and I have been given sponsorship to sit the exams. This is going to cost a fair amount and I am wondering even with the US qualification will I be able to find a job? I have read that US employers are unwilling to go to the trouble and expense for a foreign employee, it's rather disheartening. How did you guys do it? Any help/info is much appreciated.
I'm going to say it... "you are delusional for even wanting to live in the US"

Every man and their dog in the US has a 4 year Bachelors. Many have Masters (of questionable quality) others have PhDs and many of those I wouldn't trust to change a toilet roll quite frankly.

Plus remember that the US is currently looking East (no, not the 6pm news programme for Norfolk and Suffolk) and there are thousands "self-importing" with MSc, PhD and possibly deity-ness that come and do any job for a 1/3 of what you would think of as reasonable, including in what we think of as professions such as yours and mine (except K-12 teaching, which does appear to be the last bastion of common-sense in the US until some right-wing, home-schooling nut-case breaks that one down).

And you will be competing with those people with no safety net at all. Assuming that you can get in at all as you will be competing for entry as well. I really wouldn't do it.....
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, me too. There's no point in paying for white linen service when all you are ordering is a burger.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
I'm going to say it... "you are delusional for even wanting to live in the US" I really wouldn't do it.....
Strawberry Fields Forever Lyric

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

No one I think is in my tree
I mean it must be high or low
That is you can't, you know, tune in
But it's all right
That is I think it's not too bad

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

Always, no sometimes, think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know I mean a yes
But it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly, me too. There's no point in paying for white linen service when all you are ordering is a burger.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dlake02
I'm going to say it... "you are delusional for even wanting to live in the US"

Every man and their dog in the US has a 4 year Bachelors. Many have Masters (of questionable quality) others have PhDs and many of those I wouldn't trust to change a toilet roll quite frankly.

Plus remember that the US is currently looking East (no, not the 6pm news programme for Norfolk and Suffolk) and there are thousands "self-importing" with MSc, PhD and possibly deity-ness that come and do any job for a 1/3 of what you would think of as reasonable, including in what we think of as professions such as yours and mine (except K-12 teaching, which does appear to be the last bastion of common-sense in the US until some right-wing, home-schooling nut-case breaks that one down).

And you will be competing with those people with no safety net at all. Assuming that you can get in at all as you will be competing for entry as well. I really wouldn't do it.....
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of his nicer posts about the US.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My insurance covers me going to an Ophthalmologist. Where I live too many mistakes made by Optometrists have cost consumers over the years. The white linen service gives me peace of mind.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

No you're not delusional, people do it all the time. You need to go where the jobs are, each state is different. There are states where they probably have a shortage of optometrists. Instead of a forum like this you may have to contact the optometry professional societies in each state. With the internet that's not as hard as it looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.