Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am I a British citizen? (Or could I easily become one?)

Am I a British citizen? (Or could I easily become one?)

Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Re: Am I a British citizen? (Or could I easily become one?)

My understanding is that usually it would be by Birth. What were your great-grandparents doing in South Africa? Were they permanent residents at the time of the birth?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcraik
That didn't come up when I spoke to them, but from what I've gathered from various websites is that your RSA citizenship seems to expire if you voluntarily adopt citizenship of another country after the age of 18 (if you didn't apply for dual citizenship prior to you receiving foreign citizenship). Since I received my US citizenship before 18 and it wasn't voluntary, I assume I am eligible. I have to call them again and ask I guess. The time difference is horrendous though.
Yes, this seems to be right from what I can tell.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

jcraik is an unknown quantity at this point

My great-grandfather was born in the UK and was in the British military. He got stationed in RSA. My grandfather also joined the armed forces, which is why they stayed there.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcraik
My great-grandfather was born in the UK and was in the British military. He got stationed in RSA. My grandfather also joined the armed forces, which is why they stayed there.
My cousin (my mother's sister's son) who has been living and working in the UK after graduating from Canterbury University got his citizenship in the UK based on the fact that his paternal great-grandmother was Scottish i.e. a citizen of the UK. So I would look into it if I were you.

Last edited by Desdemona; Jan 9th 2013 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:29 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I seem to remember South African friends of mine saying that South Africa does not permit dual citizenship. They make you choose.
That is somewhat incorrect. The South African embassy needs to be informed that you are taking on US citizenship and wish to keep your South African passport. If you are born in South Africa, you are still entitled to your South African passport and when entering or leaving SA, they claim you MUST use your SA passport or they can give you a lot of problems. The SA government may give you problems anyway but it is very clear in their constitution that you cannot be denied citizenship because it is the country of your birth. If you became a naturalized SA citizen, you will lose your citizenship when you become a US citizen.

Anyone dealing with SA governmental affairs knows it is great fun and most of us know it depends on who you speak to in the immigration department simply because the answers from the general staff is challenging and constantly contradictory at best. Please go to the SA forum on this site and chat with Ed. He has invaluable info he can share with you. I am also linked to another SA expat site so if you would like some info from them, please pm me.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:11 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
My cousin (my mother's sister's son) who has been living and working in the UK after graduating from Canterbury University got his citizenship in the UK based on the fact that his paternal great-grandmother was Scottish i.e. a citizen of the UK. So I would look into it if I were you.
This is all I could find on citizenship based on ancestry:

http://www.migrate-uk.com/immigration/uk-ancestry.php

So it looks like my cousin's grandmother was also born in the UK. A fact I wasn't aware of. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
That is somewhat incorrect. The South African embassy needs to be informed that you are taking on US citizenship and wish to keep your South African passport. If you are born in South Africa, you are still entitled to your South African passport and when entering or leaving SA, they claim you MUST use your SA passport or they can give you a lot of problems. The SA government may give you problems anyway but it is very clear in their constitution that you cannot be denied citizenship because it is the country of your birth. If you became a naturalized SA citizen, you will lose your citizenship when you become a US citizen.

Anyone dealing with SA governmental affairs knows it is great fun and most of us know it depends on who you speak to in the immigration department simply because the answers from the general staff is challenging and constantly contradictory at best. Please go to the SA forum on this site and chat with Ed. He has invaluable info he can share with you. I am also linked to another SA expat site so if you would like some info from them, please pm me.

Here is the link to the SA forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=171
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Desdemona
This is all I could find on citizenship based on ancestry:

http://www.migrate-uk.com/immigration/uk-ancestry.php

So it looks like my cousin's grandmother was also born in the UK. A fact I wasn't aware of. Hope this helps.

The above link allows you only the "indefinite right to remain" But the link below will leads to the next step, the actual granting of Citizenship itself:

http://www.migrate-uk.com/immigratio...ationality.php

Last edited by Desdemona; Jan 10th 2013 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Ancestry visa requires the applicant (ie the grandchild of the UK-born citizen) to have been born in a Commonwealth country. eg Canada, Oz, NZ etc.
It's not currently permitted to USA-born people.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ancestry visa requires the applicant (ie the grandchild of the UK-born citizen) to have been born in a Commonwealth country. eg Canada, Oz, NZ etc.
It's not currently permitted to USA-born people.
I think the requirement is that you are a "Commonwealth citizen" - which means you are a citizen of any country in the Commonwealth. You don't necessarily have to have been born in a Commonwealth country to be a Commonwealth citizen (e.g. you can be a citizen of a country by descent through a parent).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...g/uk-ancestry/

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 12th 2013 at 3:31 am.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I think the requirement is that you are a "Commonwealth citizen" - which means you are a citizen of any country in the Commonwealth. You don't necessarily have to have been born in a Commonwealth country to be a Commonwealth citizen (e.g. you can be a citizen of a country by descent through a parent).

Spot on! That's a great link btw!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Thanks. It's been a while since I looked at the regs.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

chop007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Am I a British citizen? (Or could I easily become one?)

Wow, interesting indeed. All these regulations, dealing with South African Immigration etc, it would be easier to pull teeth with a pair of pliers.

The other day we celebrated my grandfathers 90th Birthday!!!He was a Mosquito fighter pilot during WW2. He was part of the commonwealth obviously and had South African citizenship. Some of the stories and pictures he showed me where truly amazing. I was just wondering if there is some way I can obtain full U.K citizenship based on my grandfathers heroic efforts for Queen, Country and ....the world?

You know, he risked his life numerous times and even met with Churchill, I even have a letter Churchill wrote to him to thank him for his help in transporting a couple of dignitaries at a moments notice, when they where in a 'pickle'.

I would not be surprised if I was told the U.K is not handing out residency permits anymore since I see it has become overrun with half of Africa taking up residency in that small but great nation. I just thought, before I go through the mission, I would just post a quick reply here and find out if any of you distinguished citizens/expats perhaps know of a loophole. It would be a pity if there was no way to get back to my ancestral roots after all my grandfather and those like him did for the U.K during that horrific time.

Anyways, thanks all for your time and patience. I have lots of funds and a few legit qualifications, so money, work etc etc is no problem at all. If anyone knows please let me know your views.