British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Alternative to Toyota Corolla (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/alternative-toyota-corolla-819822/)

trumee Dec 31st 2013 8:14 pm

Alternative to Toyota Corolla

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a car. With zero knowledge about cars, I thought of going with a safe option with either Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Unfortunately, either of them are not available through international autosource.
Will be grateful for recommendations of car in the same league. The car will be mainly used for commuting short distance to work.
Thanks

dunroving Dec 31st 2013 8:22 pm

Re: Alternative to Toyota Corolla

Originally Posted by trumee (Post 11057655)
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a car. With zero knowledge about cars, I thought of going with a safe option with either Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Unfortunately, either of them are not available through international autosource.
Will be grateful for recommendations of car in the same league. The car will be mainly used for commuting short distance to work.
Thanks

A friend of mine in the US drives a Prius and loves it.

trumee Dec 31st 2013 8:27 pm

Prius unfortunately is in a different price bracket to Corolla and Civic.

Pulaski Dec 31st 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by trumee (Post 11057672)
Prius unfortunately is in a different price bracket to Corolla and Civic.

Ford Focus. Ford is by far the best domestic brand, and is (re)building a good reputation for mechanical reliability. Demand for Fords is growing rapidly and they are in the process of their biggest manufacturing expansion in over 50 years. I have two Fords myself and I have never had a mechanical failure in over 100,000 miles! :)

lansbury Dec 31st 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by trumee (Post 11057655)
Hi,

Thanks

I see IA do Nissan, how about something similar from their range. They are on a par with Toyota or Honda.

Noorah101 Dec 31st 2013 8:35 pm

How about a Nissan Sentra?

Rene

Duncan Roberts Dec 31st 2013 9:15 pm

Mazda3, better than all of the other suggestions. I also hate Nissan, had nothing but trouble with ours. It seems to be made of cheap junk and put together by blind monkeys.

Noorah101 Dec 31st 2013 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 11057722)
Mazda3, better than all of the other suggestions. I also hate Nissan, had nothing but trouble with ours. It seems to be made of cheap junk and put together by blind monkeys.

I actually hate Nissan, too. I used to be a fan of Nissan and always had a Nissan Altima, but when I needed a new car in 2004 I didn't like the way Nissan had remodeled the interior dashboard, so I bought a Honda Accord instead. OMG. Love love love my Honda! Ended up buying another new one in 2011, and this is the one I'll keep for the next decade or so.

Rene

_Clueless$y$t€m_ Dec 31st 2013 9:31 pm

Mazda 3 is a great option but Hyundai Elantra is worth considering.. bit plasticcy interior wise but slightly more powerful engine than the corolla.

AdobePinon Dec 31st 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 11057722)
Mazda3, better than all of the other suggestions.

I've had a few Mazda 3s as rentals. They always seem like fun little cars.

lansbury Dec 31st 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by KTBFFH12 (Post 11057733)
Mazda 3 is a great option but Hyundai Elantra is worth considering.. bit plasticcy interior wise but slightly more powerful engine than the corolla.

Neither of which are on the list of vehicles International Autosource supply.

_Clueless$y$t€m_ Dec 31st 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11057746)
Neither of which are on the list of vehicles International Autosource supply.

With hindsight I probably should of checked their list before commenting..I appreciate the gentle correction!

Michael Dec 31st 2013 9:57 pm

In my opinion, neither Nissan or Mazda are comparable to Toyota or Honda.

Pulaski Dec 31st 2013 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11057764)
In my opinion, neither Nissan or Mazda are comparable to Toyota or Honda.

I agree. (Dämn! That's the second time this week. :o) .... and Fords are much better than anyone seems to want to give them credit for. :nod:

lansbury Dec 31st 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11057794)
Dagenham Dustbins are much better than anyone seems to want to give them credit for. :nod:

That makes more sense