Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alternative to cellphone?

Alternative to cellphone?

Old Jun 27th 2005, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternative to cellphone?

Originally Posted by Ray
No licence is required for your standard CB ...
A licence is required for the GMRS, the General Mobile Radio Service
Not that anybody actually gets one ...
And a big 10-4 good buddy ...
Thats' probably what it is...wouldn't have a clue, but the ariel on the top of his pickup is about as tall as me..okay maybe that isn't saying much...but anyway, they need it in the woods...that and saterlite radio *lol*
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hope that's not cockney rhyming slang for anything!!!
Not many truckers know much cockney rhyming slang.

I introduced my eldest to the joys of Smokey And The Bandit the other day. Not too much cussin and very little violence and no sex. Of course, a huge amount of disrespect for the law but....

My brother and I always sing "East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'" when we drive cos we're usually headed east out of here!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Cheap communications where two of these (about $60) could take our communications across Houston. Only problem is state of play with the FCC!?
Just keep changing your handle and your 10-20 good buddy and hope the po-lice don't get you as a 10-15.

--Candy Apple Red

(yes, I had a handle)
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:20 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Just keep changing your handle and your 10-20 good buddy and hope the po-lice don't get you as a 10-15.

--Candy Apple Red

(yes, I had a handle)
And don't call yourself the Bandit as that would be too cheesy
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
Ann, I cast a vote for Tracphone, as well. I've used it in the past with no real problems. Bear in mind that coverage in some "remote areas" - whether on a Tracphone or regular mobile - can be non-existent.

Denise

Thanks everyone!

Hi Denise - nice to see ya! I've ordered a Tracfone on-line as I don't have much confidence in the shops in this town. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

We've got to accept that in some wilderness areas there will be no help forthcoming from anywhere...LOL! We'll just have live on seeds and insects and hope that somebody will send out a search party eventually
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:22 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Two baked bean cans and a long piece of string
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:30 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by rincewind
And don't call yourself the Bandit as that would be too cheesy
10-4 rincewind.

My dad actually had a licence -- five letters/numbers long as I recall. I just borrowed it.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Is anyone using a Tracfone in MA? Im just wondering about the coverage. At the moment Im using my hubbies Verizon mobile which is supposed to work here, but we cant get a signal in the apartment or at his work, which is annoying since obviously those are the places we spend most time!! May have something to do with the handset I suppose.

I cant wait until the contract expires so that I can get a pay-as-you-go phone, and from what I have seen Tracfone seems to be the only one which doesn't have a time limit on the minutes expiring. Just wanted to check if anyone has experience of coverage in MA though...

cheers

MB
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:03 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Hi all

Is anyone using a Tracfone in MA? Im just wondering about the coverage. At the moment Im using my hubbies Verizon mobile which is supposed to work here, but we cant get a signal in the apartment or at his work, which is annoying since obviously those are the places we spend most time!! May have something to do with the handset I suppose.

I cant wait until the contract expires so that I can get a pay-as-you-go phone, and from what I have seen Tracfone seems to be the only one which doesn't have a time limit on the minutes expiring. Just wanted to check if anyone has experience of coverage in MA though...

cheers

MB
Check here for coverage: TracFone Coverage Maps
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:36 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternative to cellphone?

Denise, Heading your way on the 11th for my final finger printing session (hopefully) for my AOS interview. Got to go to the Charleston office this time. Gonna make me a cuppa
Cool. I'm glad you're coming to Charleston for an AOS interview and not coming to Charleston to look for a job 'cause there ain't any around these parts.

We were already married when my husband entered the US so we don't have to mess with AOS.

Where is/was "home" in the UK for you? Maybe we can all get together for a cuppa. [ Or a pint at the local Irish-wanna-be pub. :-) ]

D.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by DDL
Cool. I'm glad you're coming to Charleston for an AOS interview and not coming to Charleston to look for a job 'cause there ain't any around these parts.

We were already married when my husband entered the US so we don't have to mess with AOS.

Where is/was "home" in the UK for you? Maybe we can all get together for a cuppa. [ Or a pint at the local Irish-wanna-be pub. :-) ]

D.
Hi Denise,

The actual AOS interview is in Atlanta, I'm just in Charleston to renew my finger prints. Coz apparently, finger prints expire

I'm orginally from Midhurst in West Sussex. I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I could convince my wife that there's money in the UK and not here

Irish pub? Cool. Although you did say "wanna-be"

Get the kettle on. I prefer PG Tips, lol
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:27 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Denise, The actual AOS interview is in Atlanta, I'm just in Charleston to renew my finger prints. Coz apparently, finger prints expire I'm orginally from Midhurst in West Sussex. I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I could convince my wife that there's money in the UK and not here Irish pub? Cool. Although you did say "wanna-be"
Get the kettle on. I prefer PG Tips, lol

Sounds good. I'll pm you later with some phone numbers and maybe it'll work out for a cuppa together.

My husband was born in Chelsea (don't read anything in to that - LOL - it was just where his folks happened to be renting at the time) and was raised in and around Greater (west) London. He married and moved to Plymouth and lived down there for a number of years before returning to London. I lived with him in London for a couple of years, and then we came back here in November. Now we're probably (hopefully) going to return to the UK. Whereabouts is still undecided. We could go anywhere, really, which doesn't make the decision any easier! West Sussex is a possibility; we love Devon. And, of course, there's sooooo much to do in London and salaries are great up there, but so is cost of accomodation. I'm a Legal Secretary. Could easily pull in 25-30K in London; same jobs in the Southeast and Southwest appear to pay between 13-18K. Bummer.

I love reading these threads on what the "best places" are to live in the UK. In the end, I suppose it's all relative.

Cheers.

)
(
)
___
\__/o
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:30 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm a Legal Secretary.
Which country do you prefer to work in? Glad to know that the skills transfer.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:34 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by DDL
Sounds good. I'll pm you later with some phone numbers and maybe it'll work out for a cuppa together.
Better make room for two. ILuvAbrit will probably be with me. I'll bring an extra mug if you're short

You're right about where you live. It's all relative as to where you live. I was born in Cambridge and lived there for a while along with Aldershot, Fleet and Chichester. Midhurst was my favorite place and I was there for about 9 years. Love it. It was such a quiet town in the South. The only time it was busy was when Goodwood had a show/race going on. Then you would have a traffic jam with some real nice cars in it
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:38 pm
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Hi all

cheers

MB
I haven't used a Tracfone in MA but have used most cellular services. Given that Tracfone uses the existing cellular networks it may pay to research who provides their underlying network in your area. Since they are renting space of the local carrier networks I'm not sure how they can offer better coverage.

I had no problems with Nextel coverage in MA although their prices are high. I had Cingular but hated their customer service. I just switched to t-Mobile using their Sidekick phone and have everything I need in one device (phone/email/web browser/address book/calendar/AOLIM/text msg/camera etc and a great screen size with full qwerty keyboard) - After rebates we'll have got $100 in our pocket (i.e. cost = minus $100) for two. Can't do better than that! (Purchased through Amazon - one year contract).

Downside - coverage is spotty in some areas and great in others. If you have a weak signal it'll drop calls. Check the coverage map for our town - the map is very detailed.

http://www.t-mobile.com/locator.asp

As far as I can tell, tracfone minutes do expire unless you purchase additional minutes every 60 days, which is the same as some of the wireless providers:
http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/defaul...tab=payasyougo

Watch for higher per-minute rates than you get with pre-paid family plans that allow you to call each other for free.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.