Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Almost too good to be true tax calculation.

Almost too good to be true tax calculation.

Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:35 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default Almost too good to be true tax calculation.

Hi all

This is my first time dealing with taxes in the US. I'm a permanent resident and I moved here on a CR1 in May 2014. Me and my wife have decided to file jointly.

I completed h&r blocks tax calculator and to our surprise it said we were entitled to a $1000 refund! I only earned $3500 last year (It took me 5 months to find a job) and my wife earned $60000. I included all the correct Wages and taxes withheld.

The calculator did not do into the detail of my new immigrant status and I was wondering how, if at all, this would affect the above calculation? For example, would it be prorated etc.

I read somewhere that I have to declare the earnings I made in the uk but I understand that this won't be taxable.

If there is anyone who knows their taxes and can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Last edited by GarethB789; Mar 10th 2015 at 7:00 am.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost too good to be true tax calculation.

If you are both electing under 6013(g) or (h) to file a joint return you cannot do this unless you include your pre-arrival income.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
..... I read somewhere that I have to declare the earnings I made in the uk but I understand that this won't be taxable. .....
That is incorrect. By filing jointly you are accepting the rules as a permanent resident, meaning tax on all your income during the tax (calendar) year. You can get a credit for the tax paid in the UK, so, because of the offset in the tax years and the different way that deductions and allowances work, it is not certain whether you will be better off filing jointly, or filing separately, with you filing a dual status return.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you try filing both ways and see which comes out the most advantageous, single or joint?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Can't you try filing both ways and see which comes out the most advantageous, single or joint?
That's exactly what a tax professional would do - calculate the taxes due under different permitted methods of filing, and then file the one with the lowest bill/ highest refund.