British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Almost a Comedy! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/almost-comedy-682420/)

ian-mstm Aug 23rd 2010 3:06 pm

Almost a Comedy!

True story:

The fellow next door to us wanted to buy some of our land so he can build a swimming pool for his wife. Sheila and I were happy to sell the land to him, so we had a guy come and survey the land, and decided to sell a 40 ft x 150 ft parcel that adjoins his property! All good... until it came time to settle on a price.

We suggested that $6,000 was reasonable - about $1/sq ft (which is well below average for our area)... after all - he's been a good neighbor for many years, we weren't using the land, and we're not hurting for money! :)

He said, he'd been thinking we'd want $10,000... so he'd like to pay us $7,000! We said we'd be quite happy with $6,000 to which he responded: okay, how about $8,000? Sheila and I looked at each other, both a bit puzzled, and said: Okay... $8,000.

I don't think you could have scripted something funnier!

Ian

Sherlock Holmes Aug 23rd 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Almost a Comedy!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8796831)
True story:

The fellow next door to us wanted to buy some of our land so he can build a swimming pool for his wife. Sheila and I were happy to sell the land to him, so we had a guy come and survey the land, and decided to sell a 40 ft x 150 ft parcel that adjoins his property! All good... until it came time to settle on a price.

We suggested that $6,000 was reasonable - about $1/sq ft (which is well below average for our area)... after all - he's been a good neighbor for many years, we weren't using the land, and we're not hurting for money! :)

He said, he'd been thinking we'd want $10,000... so he'd like to pay us $7,000! We said we'd be quite happy with $6,000 to which he responded: okay, how about $8,000? Sheila and I looked at each other, both a bit puzzled, and said: Okay... $8,000.

Ian

He must have watched Life of Brian. "Come on, haggle!"

robin1234 Aug 23rd 2010 3:17 pm

I hope you retained the mineral rights though.. there might be a potential gusher right in that little parcel! Seriously, it's nice to have good neighbors.

Duncan Roberts Aug 23rd 2010 3:26 pm

I'll take the extra $2000 if you don't want it!

lisa67 Aug 23rd 2010 3:29 pm

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

traceym Aug 23rd 2010 3:40 pm

True story:

Ian

:rofl:

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 23rd 2010 3:42 pm

Did you include the rights for use of the new pool?

WARPed Aug 23rd 2010 4:25 pm

:confused:

Sweet deal!

hobbes79 Aug 23rd 2010 4:39 pm

Well done! Probably a little smart for him too. With all the will in the world, you'll probably have a little noise and disruption during the building of the pool.

It's funny how $2000 works even better than ear plugs :)

chrisbeale Aug 23rd 2010 5:36 pm

So much better than the usual neighbour issues over land/building/proerty divides. "He pruned some of my wisteria that was hanging over the fence, you shouldn't prune a wisteria this time of year! I shall be contacting the Council."

Nice to hear :)

Burn1911 Aug 23rd 2010 5:40 pm

True story:

Ian

:rofl: - I second getting some pool usage rights with that deal!!!

ian-mstm Aug 23rd 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 8796914)
Did you include the rights for use of the new pool?

No... neither Sheila nor I are all that interested in having others see our old, saggy bods! :D

Ian

robin1234 Aug 23rd 2010 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8797287)
No... neither Sheila nor I are all that interested in having others see our old, saggy bods! :D

Ian

I don't like seeing it myself. I sometimes I feel like removing the mirrors from the bathrooms :(

dunroving Aug 23rd 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8796853)
I hope you retained the mineral rights though.. there might be a potential gusher right in that little parcel! Seriously, it's nice to have good neighbors.

He obviously hasn't watched "There Will be Blood".

Rete Aug 23rd 2010 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8797324)
I don't like seeing it myself. I sometimes I feel like removing the mirrors from the bathrooms :(

I've removed all mirrors that show anything from the waist down. I live quite nicely that way in my imaginary world of youth and slimness.