Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

All U need is Love?? NOT

Wikiposts

All U need is Love?? NOT

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All U need is Love?? NOT

Originally Posted by QDilly
hes far from being rich..He just quit his job working in a shit factory... I make ok living enough to pay the bills and so on.... Marriage is a big step, But if it means keeping him with me YES.. I would do it.......
Not trying to be sexist or anything, but what are his chances of finding work here? If you marry a non-citizen, you are promising to keep him off public assistance and pay his bills for, the last time I checked, ten years. What will your kids say about you supporting him indefinitely? What about university for them?

If you were disabled, could he work to support the both of you? Do you live in a community property state, where half of the assets you acquire during the marriage will usually belong to him if there is a divorce?

How long have you known him? Who's footing the bill for his three-month holiday?

He may be a lovely bloke, but you would not be the first to be taken advantage of in this situation.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:42 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Help!!!
Im 38 and met the man of my dreams on the Internet.. Im from the States hes from the UK...... Hes been to the states and we know we want to spend each night going to sleep in each others arms and wake up to bad breath... I have been to alot of the "gov" sites on how to do this and how to do that....But damn it confuses me......Anyone out there have any advice on how to start all of this? He will be here again in a few days for a much longer visit 88 days we are hoping...as long as the port authority dont give him any shit when he gets to the airport..he dont have a visa just comes over on a VWP......So i guess what i am asking for is any assistance from real people that have been threw this or have a good understanding of how to go about me keeping him here.... Cuz as i see it the phrase "All U need is LOVE...just aint gonna cut it, with all the laws.... Thanks
Your post is a visa related question. Please read and search through the US Marriage Based Visas and US Immigration forums on British Expats. If you don't find information relating to your situation, please post on the Marriage Based Visas forum.

I'm closing this thread due to its topic.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:53 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Not trying to be sexist or anything, but what are his chances of finding work here?
couple of things here.............

I doubt he'd be supported by her for the full 10 years. eventually through marriage he'd get his own EAD and get a job.
The I-825 affidavit of Support is for 10 years only, but rarely ever needed to be enforced.

Secondly...........
Kelle, I can grasp that you don't want to leave the USA, my wife has kids too, however you seem to want your cake and eat it. You can't expect him to just leave everything and not get committment from you re: marriage.

Marriage to a USC is the 'safest bet' into the USA legally, so he needs to know that you intend to marry him so he isn't under threat of being deported and looking over his shoulder for the USCIS all the time.
(I know you said if it took marriage you would........but it is that important if you want to be together)

You need to file for a K-1 fiance visa to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by Manc; Mar 29th 2005 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
couple of things here.............

I doubt he'd be supported by her for the full 10 years. eventually through marriage he'd get his own EAD and get a job.
The I-825 affidavit of Support is for 10 years only, but rarely ever needed to be enforced.

That is incorrect. The I-864 can be for the lifetime of the beneficiary. These are the only ways that the I-864 can be terminated:

1. Beneficiary dies
2. Sponsor dies and the estate is settled
3. Beneficiary becomes a US Citizen
4. Beneficiary leaves the US and voluntarily gives up their PR states
5. Beneficiary is removed from the US and their PR status is rescinded
6. Beneficiary earns 40 quarters of acceptable Social Security Admin income, i.e. working part time for Mickie D's for 10 years isn't acceptable.

True, the I-864 is to date rarely enforced. But there is no way to know that it won't start being enforced vigorously in the future.

Also it should be noted even if you divorce you are still on the hook for the I-864 until one of the above conditions is met.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but saying that Rete, it's not some special thing.

all whom have married USC's have one of these.
It's just another form to fill in at the end of the day.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

but saying that Rete, it's not some special thing.

all whom have married USC's have one of these.
It's just another form to fill in at the end of the day.

Yes, it is another form to be completed.

However, there is also the fact that if you divorce your divorce attorney can ask for alimony in the form of 125% of the poverty guidelines and get it simply because you completed the I-864 and signed and notarized and if you read the fine print, promised to support them to that level.

So is it really just another form to complete?

Think what you want, Manc. I really don't give a hoot. But signers of this "not some special thing" should be aware of all the consequences if the US Government and/or a private attorney and court decide to hold them to it.

Not everyone marries for love. Some people many for the perks, i.e. green card, nice home, future alimony payments, diamonds and furs, social status and to eventually have a way to get their true love and family into the US.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:47 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, it is another form to be completed.

However, there is also the fact that if you divorce your divorce attorney can ask for alimony in the form of 125% of the poverty guidelines and get it simply because you completed the I-864 and signed and notarized and if you read the fine print, promised to support them to that level.

So is it really just another form to complete?

Think what you want, Manc. I really don't give a hoot. But signers of this "not some special thing" should be aware of all the consequences if the US Government and/or a private attorney and court decide to hold them to it.

Not everyone marries for love. Some people many for the perks, i.e. green card, nice home, future alimony payments, diamonds and furs, social status and to eventually have a way to get their true love and family into the US.
I understand wht you're saying, but the UK isn't Haiti, we have running water and inside Lavs..............
I don't think too many Brits marry for convenience tbh.

then again, maybe I have too much faith in my fellow man.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:11 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who got severely fecked over when this process went awry and ended up broke, I just want people to be careful. Like the OP, I too have kids, and since they are far younger, I am stuck in the US in order to custody-share. However, if I had sole custody or older children, and I married a foreign citizen, I'd need to be fully prepared to live in the other country.

What happens if he doesn't like it here and is miserable? Or for some reason gets deported (it can happen even if you are married). Or a family member falls ill and he wants to move back to take care of them?

The food isn't crap, it depends on what and where you eat. Cottage pie is yummy and it's beef which Americans are used to -- shepherd's pie is lamb. There's actually quite a lot to like about the UK -- have you been there?

Manc, I have known someone who married an American in order to try to get a green card. The story has an extremely unpleasant ending for both parties.

To be honest when I read the post it came across as "I have this passionate flame who I can't bear to be away from, but oh bother he's British so I can't just keep him here indefinitely. Oh, marriage is the only way? Huh. Well, I guess I'll do it, even though I would never want to live or marry in the UK myself, but isn't there like, a fast way to do this?"

The commitment the OP and potential fiance would in reality be making is huge. They both need to know that going in.

My take on things, worth what you paid for the advice
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:13 am
@matthewb76

And

And

and....................

WTF is wrong with Black Pudding?

wimps
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:15 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

And

And

and....................

wimps
My sentiments exactly
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:25 am
Just Joined

QDilly is on a distinguished road

And

And

and....................

wimps
Nothing if your in the mood for blood.... But would I would give my left nut if i had one for some sayers pastys!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:35 am
Lapine Member

Nothing if your in the mood for blood.... But would I would give my left nut if i had one for some sayers pastys!!!
You have a left nut?!
:scared:

(you do know that if you have a left nut you'll be needing surgery before you could legally marry a man in the US)

I'm totally confused now. You like pastys but not cottage pie?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You have a left nut?!

(you do know that if you have a left nut you'll be needing surgery before you could legally marry a man in the US)

I'm just as confused as you now; left nut?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:45 am
Just Joined

QDilly is on a distinguished road

You have a left nut?!

I said IF i had a left nut!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:48 am
@matthewb76

I said IF i had a left nut!!
well I do, but I don't need a pasty that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.