Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The all singing and all dancing one and only Presidential election thread.

The all singing and all dancing one and only Presidential election thread.

Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The all singing and all dancing one and only Presidential election thread.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yup I'm rooting for a Romney victory, and a tea-party sweep in Senate and House. That'll make it easy to convince the wife to move to the UK sooner rather than.. never.
Aye, I suppose when you put it that way.

But then, what if she doesn't move and then we're stuck here
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The all singing and all dancing one and only Presidential election thread.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Aye, I suppose when you put it that way.

But then, what if she doesn't move and then we're stuck here
I'd buy a few more Pevsners Guides to the Buildings of England, and sit at home and read them..
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

When Mittens loses, he can star in the next season of "an idiot abroad" with Gervais. His audition went beautifully!
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Jesus, it's times like this I'm glad I've dual citizenship, that's for sure.
It is reassuring when things get a little more crazy than usual. If there was someone like Romney in the UK, he'd get the comedy segment at the end of the news.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
It is reassuring when things get a little more crazy than usual. If there was someone like Romney in the UK, he'd get the comedy segment at the end of the news.
What makes it better is we're actually thinking about it anyway. My wife's even been citing the NHS as one reason why it might be a good idea (our daughter has long-term health issues and we both have high blood pressure).
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
So it seems like you lot are behaving like a bunch of politician and debating whether to create a Presidential election thread. Well here it is...

So, I'll start. Obama must be pissing himself that Romney is making this so easy for him. So long as the economy doesn't go tits up in the next couple of months it's in the bag.
You must be posting from atop your dressage horse. The economy is tits up.

The question is, will it improve any before the election?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
You must be posting from atop your dressage horse. The economy is tits up.

The question is, will it improve any before the election?
How are things playing out in the swing states, oh sage one? You seem to be one of the few people around with a keen eye on the things that matter - those marginal states populated by people I know so little about ...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
How are things playing out in the swing states, oh sage one? You seem to be one of the few people around with a keen eye on the things that matter - those marginal states populated by people I know so little about ...
Obama is leading in Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, which is majorly wow. If the election were held today he would probably win. There are a lot of variables though so here's a few that I think will matter ....

The numbers may be temporarily inflated because Obama is presently outspending Romney in the swing states. That will all change drastically after the Republican convention. This is due to some campaign funding restriction thingy about Romney needing to be the official nominee before he can access certain funds. I won't even pretend to understand all that - cue a pedant to copy paste something (that nobody will read) explaining it all. So, look for Romney to absolutely carpet bomb the swing states in September. The Republicans are outraising the Democrats in every way. Obama needs more money. End of.

The fact that Obama is leading in Florida is a good sign though. They are a swing state in name only - Florida is extremely conservative. I don't know if this current trend is down to the Latino vote or not, I haven't been following Florida that closely, tbh. I was pretty much of the mind that Romney was a shoe-in for Florida so, much like Texas, I've been ignoring it. The recent polling is interesting though so it might be fun to watch how it all plays out. The fact that the Republican convention is in Tampa isn't at all helpful to the Dems though.

If the economy improves, even slowly, Obama stands a pretty damn good chance of winning. But the economy is faltering and there's noise about more setbacks in the jobs numbers and other financial indicators.

As far as the swing states go, it looks like it will all come down to Ohio. A state in which, at least right now, Obama is doing well. It's going to be difficult for people from Ohio to vote for a guy with a Swiss bank account and a dancing horse, they're just not that kind of folks. HOWEVER, and this is a big HOWEVER, if Romney chooses Portman as his VP pick, it could be a game changer. It's hard to say if he could actually take Ohio, even with Portman on the ticket, but it would significantly improve his chances.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:07 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm staying out of the online fray, I think I've offended enough people already

But I live to serve While Mittie may be currently outriasing Obie:

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012...g-numbers.html

Obie is far far ahead overall:

Obie-
Contributions
Individual $223,934,590
PAC $0
Party $0
Candidate $0
Federal Funds $0
Transfers-In $76,150,000
Disbursements $204,474,285
Cash On Hand $97,536,739

Mittie-
Summary
Contributions
Individual $136,567,483
PAC $811,381
Party $0
Candidate $0
Federal Funds $0
Transfers-In $15,766,494
Disbursements $130,640,151
Cash On Hand $22,505,830

Interesting website btw. http://www.fec.gov/disclosurep/pnational.do

Living in Ohio with the barrage of negative ads, I'm about ready to rip my eyeballs out of my head and stuff them in my ears. If it was practically anyone but Mittie the economy would've beaten Obie. Ohio is still on the fence. I expect turnout in Obie's key Dem strongholds, the rust belt cities of the northeast and Toledo, will be down, and the traditional Dem fortresses of Ohio Appalachia are pissed at him for being (rightly or wrongly) perceived as anti-coal.

Agreed though, Mittie as a rich liberal GOPer ain't doing him any favors. Interesting race.

Pete
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:37 pm
WTF?

Does that include the $50 million pledged by American Crossroads?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:56 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno. I'm sure there'll be boatloads more money overall before the end. I don't see anything on 50 mil though?

The sheer volume of money is astounding. I know a lot of folks don't like the citizens united decision but I don't mind money being outside the control of the political elite. And heck, it's not like they make ads any worse than the two candidates. Just my 02.

On the plus side race won't be an issue because you can't tell - both of them are covered in mud

Pete
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

There's a PAC called "Restore our Future"? Sounds like they don't know what the words mean, the name is complete nonsense. How can you restore something that hasn't happened yet?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:59 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
How can you restore something that hasn't happened yet?
88 mph....
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
88 mph....
BTTF -

Jim.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Pinky29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently he raised over $2 million at a fundraiser in London and further other fundraisers abroad! Living in a swing state too and fed up with the ads.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.