Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

All inclusive holidays

All inclusive holidays

Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All inclusive holidays

Originally Posted by missblackstar
It is but the prices of holiday packages tend to go up each month drastically.
Really? On what are you basing this assumption?

Sure, prices vary, but to say they 'go up each month drastically' is not only a figment of your imagination, but completely wrong!

We like to cruise and I've seen offers change on a monthly basis. As you can cancel without penalty up to 90 days before you sail, I've seen prices increase and decrease in 24 hours, let alone by the month. In fact, in January last year, we were able to book a suite on Norwegian with free specialty dining, a free drinks package and $150 on-board credit for less than $1000 each. The brochure price was $2500!

So, if you're going to invent 'facts', at lease make them ones that won't be shot down in flames in an instant!
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So... You save your money... in someone else's account?

Why would you do that?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is but the prices of holiday packages tend to go up each month drastically.

You can usually get some great last minute deals...flights, hotels, cruises.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The only travel company I can think of offering packages is:

Http://www.applevacations.com

If you have an American Express card I think they also offer some package holidays, but I imagine that they are likely to be expensive. Come to think of it, are you a member of Costco? I've often spotted their travel promotions in their warehouses but I guess you can also see them online.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK you have millions of people living on an island or two, all within easy reach of a specific airport. The holidaymakers can group together, board a flight, and get flown to a hotel in Spain, with a 1-1/2 hour flight. Quite easy for travel agents to organize.

In the US, their market of holidaymakers would be hundreds or thousand of miles away from each other. Airports are spread all over the country. There isn't Spain, Italy, Portugal just 1-1/2 hours away. There just isn't the density of people all living close to one another, that all want to go to the same resort, from the same airport.

Most people aren't chasing the sun in summer, as they are in the UK - they live mostly in sunny weather. Many people have swimming pools in their back yard, and don't need a hotel to swim. You can plan a trip to the beach, and not wonder if it's going to be freezing cold and raining for two weeks.

I believe if you book a cruise, you can make a down payment, and pay in installments, if you book early enough.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:30 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used a travel agent in years but I know a lot of family back home still do. Our recent vacation, we booked and paid for our flights way in advance, put down a deposit on a vrbo rental, booked all the other bits and pieces as we got closer to the date.

If we had waited until the last minute we would have paid a lot more for flights, 3 x the amount for car hire and wouldn't have had the choice available for rental properties. I certainly understand why you would want to put down a deposit and pay it up.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Costco Travel a few years ago for a trip to Maui, and it was fantastic! Highly recommend Costco.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Travel agents are slowly disappearing in the UK too.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:40 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I used Costco Travel a few years ago for a trip to Maui, and it was fantastic! Highly recommend Costco.

Rene
We went to St Maarten, in the Caribbean, last year with a Costco vacation. Daughter and BF went on a Christmas Caribbean cruise with Costco. Very enjoyable.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
We like to cruise and I've seen offers change on a monthly basis. As you can cancel without penalty up to 90 days before you sail, I've seen prices increase and decrease in 24 hours, let alone by the month. In fact, in January last year, we were able to book a suite on Norwegian with free specialty dining, a free drinks package and $150 on-board credit for less than $1000 each. The brochure price was $2500!
My sister and her hubby cruise a minimum of 3 times a year. This is the way that they do it. They wait for those special offers and last cruise they went for 10 days, balcony room for $250 each. They are going again just after Thanksgiving for another 10 day cruise for under $1000 each with the perks you mentioned. They would never sail unless it was either a suite or at the very least a balcony room.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's what I do too - tbh I don't think 90% of the UK population will use travel agents, I don't know a single person that's used one for years! I always book my own holiday independently, and tend to do flights, accommodation etc separately.

I'd imagine that those using travel agents are in the minority these days, their prices seem much more expensive to me than those I can book myself.
Thats what I thought! If your concern is buying and locking in your price then consider DIY with a credit card. There a plenty of 0% cards out there giving youon average 12/18 months to pay off. true you will pay a small fee to transfer the money but its likely the same as a service charge buried in the coast of a holiday elsewhere. And then you would be free to shop

Expedia, Kayak, vacationstogo etc etc the list is endless on the web.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 2:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I moved to Texas 2 months ago but I've been struggling to find travel agents similar to Thomas Cook, First choice etc where you can book your holiday with a deposit and then just pay it off. Is anyone aware of anything like this in the states? I love planning vacations in advance and paying them off monthly rather than having to pay all at once.
I just have one thing to say.

You're in Texas so why do you need to go somewhere else on vacation?

Spoiler:
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the UK there may be some consumer protection benefit in having a package holiday. Similar to that of booking a flight straight through with one airline compare to booking the legs separately. If one part of the deal fails, the tour company is responsible for the cost of finding a new hotel, new flight etc.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 6:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I just have one thing to say.

You're in Texas so why do you need to go somewhere else on vacation?
S]
his is very true. I was recently in Ozona, Texas, and there were several gas stations and convenience stores there to visit. It was raining very hard when I was there, but given more settled weather, I suspect I could have seen cacti and assorted reptiles in some of the abandoned lots in and around Ozona.

F
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:25 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I moved to Texas 2 months ago but I've been struggling to find travel agents similar to Thomas Cook, First choice etc where you can book your holiday with a deposit and then just pay it off. Is anyone aware of anything like this in the states? I love planning vacations in advance and paying them off monthly rather than having to pay all at once.
http://pleasantholidays.com/

There are lots of benefits of booking with a travel agent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.