Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

ymclauch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Just an example, but up in Maine, when we got our bed, local furniture store price matched Sams Club, actually worked out $400 cheaper and they delivered it and set it up for free, the next morning, though they offered to deliver it that evening if we wanted.

It was a similar mattress too, but much nicer.
Thanks everyone - I've found a local furniture shop that Im going to visit in the next day or two - they also do living room furniture as well. Prices are comparable with IKEA but it is local - want to help the local businesses:-)

Yvonne
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
Go to Ikea at least you'll know what your looking at, just like home.
Or look on craigslist.com and buy a used bed frame really cheap (headboard foot board and rails) then go buy a mattress and box spring cheap and new locally
Jesus - Ikea - don't do it!!!!

They're ok for small stuff but you get what you pay for and for a big thing like a bed it's a false economy.

We foolishly bought Ikea beds for both the main bedroom and the spare when we moved here 5 years ago. You can't move in either of them without wobbling and sqeaking, and no amount of re-tightening with allen keys can fix it. Beds should last more than five years, despite the hammering that we've been giving them, if you know what I'm saying.

And their customer service is shite. Ikea hates you, and don't you forget it. Bastards.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Beds should last more than five years, despite the hammering that we've been giving them, if you know what I'm saying.
Once you put them together, you shouldn't need to hammer your beds. Maybe you're doin' it wrong?

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 8th 2010 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

And their customer service is shite. Ikea hates you, and don't you forget it. Bastards.
As I said a couple of weeks ago as I was being dragged there: Ikea is to furniture as Ryan Air is the flying...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:37 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - Ikea - don't do it!!!!

They're ok for small stuff but you get what you pay for and for a big thing like a bed it's a false economy.

We foolishly bought Ikea beds for both the main bedroom and the spare when we moved here 5 years ago. You can't move in either of them without wobbling and sqeaking, and no amount of re-tightening with allen keys can fix it. Beds should last more than five years, despite the hammering that we've been giving them, if you know what I'm saying.

To be fair, I don't think any bed could survive five years of sprout farts.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
The comforters I've seen are not like a fluffy duvet. They are no where near as thick and you can't take the cover off.
Agree, a comforter is not the same as a duvet. Duvets are more popular here than they were even 10 years ago though, if the OP wants a duvet it shouldn't be hard to find one.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
Agree, a comforter is not the same as a duvet. Duvets are more popular here than they were even 10 years ago though, if the OP wants a duvet it shouldn't be hard to find one.
I've seen some people refer to duvet covers as just duvets. They therefore might put a duvet on a comforter or they might just use a comforter like a quilt on top of the sheets.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
I've seen some people refer to duvet covers as just duvets. They therefore might put a duvet on a comforter or they might just use a comforter like a quilt on top of the sheets.
I can see why they might want to do it, cleaning comforters is a pain and it's nice to be able to change things up, but a duvet cover is not a duvet! They're relatively new over here (I went to buy one in 1998 and had a much harder time finding one).
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:09 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Quilt is made by hand, a comforter is a quilt that is machine machine, including a sewing machine.

Neither are a duvet.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a local mattress place, and they had floor stock beds that were less than half price. I figured I could turn the mattress over and put linen on it anyhow, so I didn't care if a few customers had had a test drive. Ended up less than $500 for a very good mattress and box spring and base. Then I bought a thick fluffy mattress topper and it's heavenly!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Best quality, best prices - overstock.com.

High thread count sheets at decent prices. Mattress pads you can order via Walmart, they have great ones with 300 count cotton for online only.

We bought tempurpedics here in UK and are bringing to USA. About 2 years ago, I had difficulty to find slat beds (not platform, which are solid) - but now that Tempur has FINALLY taken off in USA, slat beds are easier to find, albeit online.

We Americans are brought up with mattress/box spring systems. Just like all beds, you get what you pay for, so that suggestion of $250 at Sears is...$1000s in chiropractic bills. A decent queen-sized (yes, called 'king' here) is about $800-1000 in the USA. Denver Mattress Company - best beds out there.
High end and last you what you expect a mattress set should.

As for California Kings (cal kings or Cali king) - watch out for these - the sheets are harder to come buy and the prices for them are steep. The nice thing with King beds in the USA is for smaller stairs - two twin box springs can get up a stairwell without issue, whereas a queen box spring cannot fit. I once bought a queen sized bed and the delivery folk couldn't get the box spring up the stairwell. It was returned for a king-sized.

We only do duvet covers for down duvets New England-style. Bedspreads in USA are very 80s to me! For SW USA, I used only cotton blankets when needed; never bedspreads.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When we came here 14 yrs ago the only place I could get a duvet and cover from was the dreaded Ikea. Like most other things they sell it was crap...as soon as I saw a replacement I bought it.

That is true they do refer to duvet covers as duvets. A comforter has blankets (depending on the weather) and a sheet underneath. Reminds me of the old fashioned UK bedspread.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Quilt is made by hand, a comforter is a quilt that is machine machine, including a sewing machine.

Neither are a duvet.
100% correct.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
When we came here 14 yrs ago the only place I could get a duvet and cover from was the dreaded Ikea. Like most other things they sell it was crap...as soon as I saw a replacement I bought it.

That is true they do refer to duvet covers as duvets. A comforter has blankets (depending on the weather) and a sheet underneath. Reminds me of the old fashioned UK bedspread.
I suspect people just don't know the difference when they call duvet covers duvets. I remember buying a duvet cover at Bed, Bath & Beyond in 1998, but all they had was white.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:45 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ymclauch View Post
Jeez - so confusing!!!

Last year me and hubby spent quite a bit of money on a new bedroom suite. Before that we had a bed from The Bed Shed (classy) and before that Argos. (The bedroom suite was our gift to ourselves when we were financially stable enough to do so....) Then he got a job transfer to LA and we sold the bedroom suite with the house.

So all I want to do is buy a cheap, functional bed - because we don't know how long we are staying (here on L1 so three years minimum).

And I'm confused.

- first of all the sizes - Queen, King, Eastern King, Californian King. (Just discovered Queen is equivalent of King back home)
- then - you have to buy a bed base? What, like the slats? ? or Box Spring?
- then you choose your mattress - I get that bit.

However - then there is the bedding.
- Comforter.
- Shams.
- Quilts.

I just wanna real easy way of buying a bed........

Yvonne
Take a drive down to temecula..they have a lovely place called "Amish Furniture", where you can get drop dead gorgeous well made wood bed frames, queen should be fine. Then pop over the 15 to mattress discounters (5 mins close) and get the mattress...sorted...

You can fit it all in a full size truck...lovely...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:02 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen some people refer to duvet covers as just duvets.
drives me bloody mental!!!!
They do that in our hotel. They call the covers the duvets, and they call the actual duvet, a "duvet insert" :curse::curse::curse:

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.