Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

ymclauch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

Jeez - so confusing!!!

Last year me and hubby spent quite a bit of money on a new bedroom suite. Before that we had a bed from The Bed Shed (classy) and before that Argos. (The bedroom suite was our gift to ourselves when we were financially stable enough to do so....) Then he got a job transfer to LA and we sold the bedroom suite with the house.

So all I want to do is buy a cheap, functional bed - because we don't know how long we are staying (here on L1 so three years minimum).

And I'm confused.

- first of all the sizes - Queen, King, Eastern King, Californian King. (Just discovered Queen is equivalent of King back home)
- then - you have to buy a bed base? What, like the slats? ? or Box Spring?
- then you choose your mattress - I get that bit.

However - then there is the bedding.
- Comforter.
- Shams.
- Quilts.

I just wanna real easy way of buying a bed........

Yvonne
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:22 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All I want to do is buy a bed!!!!!!!

Dial a Mattress
Mattress Factory / Barn / Box, whatever.

There are tons of mattress places where you can go and try out different mattresses and their associated box springs. Often times they'll include a free 'stand' that will hold it all up (just some metal bits). Many more even have a 30 day return policy, which is quite nice if it just doesn't feel right.

I'd go into the Yellow Pages of your phone book and look up mattresses. You'll find a bunch of places, usually in strip malls, that have a wide selection. Delivery is usually 24-72 hours.

Once you get that, you can then go about sorting if you want a nice bed frame (headboards, side tables, etc) and go about buying your sheets, pillows, etc (Bed Bath and Beyond is a good place to start).
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'd stay away from places like Mancini's Sleepworld. When you go in they'll likely direct you to mattress sets that are $2,000 or more. If you ask for something cheaper, they show you one for about $1,500. If you again ask for something cheaper, they'll tell you it is bad to sleep on anything cheaper (high pressure salesmen).

To get a cheap mattress set (mattress, box spring, and metal frame), go to some place like Sears. Generally when they list the price, that includes the price of the set. You should be able to find a queen set for about $250 on up. While at Sears, look for complete comforter sets (look for ones on sale) which should contain everything you need (except for sheets, pillows, pillow cases, and blanket). You could also go to Bed Bath and Beyond and see if you can find a set on sale.

If you want to splurge and purchase an inexpensive bedroom set (headboard, dresser with mirror, and 2 night stands but not the mattress set), you might go to Ashley Furniture. You should be able to find a complete set for less than $1,000. The sets look pretty decent but aren't of the highest quality.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

I used to live in OC, get the LA times this Sunday all the good deals should be in there, the frame is 4 folding metal arms with a place to attach the wheels, so it's worth about $50 - 100 max lot's of places throw it in as part of the deal. Although as mentioned, it sounds like Sears is where you should go but they have lots of sales, if it's not on sale at Sears don't buy anything there, go back in a couple of weeks and watch the newspaper ad, and you will save money. Sears works in 1-2 month cycles
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrSensical
I used to live in OC, get the LA times this Sunday all the good deals should be in there, the frame is 4 folding metal arms with a place to attach the wheels, so it's worth about $50 - 100 max lot's of places throw it in as part of the deal. Although as mentioned, it sounds like Sears is where you should go but they have lots of sales, if it's not on sale at Sears don't buy anything there, go back in a couple of weeks and watch the newspaper ad, and you will save money. Sears works in 1-2 month cycles
Sears will price match. I didn't even have to show proof of the competitors price...they took my word for it.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Ikea at least you'll know what your looking at, just like home.
Or look on craigslist.com and buy a used bed frame really cheap (headboard foot board and rails) then go buy a mattress and box spring cheap and new locally
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ymclauch
Jeez - so confusing!!!

However - then there is the bedding.
- Comforter.
- Shams.
- Quilts.

I just wanna real easy way of buying a bed........

Yvonne
Comforter = nice fluffy duvet
Shams = fancy pillow cases
Quilts = padded blanket like an eiderdown

Edited to add - Tempurpedic, best $3000 ever spent
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

flnycus is an unknown quantity at this point

It is really weird isnt it!

Anyway first you need a bed frame. On top of this sits the Box spring. Then on top of the box spring sits the matress.

Now sometimes you dont need a box spring, but it depends on the frame and matress. If the frame has big gaps in it, something like this:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11500517/Bed_Frame.jpg

you need a box spring otherwise when you lie on it the matress will fall in the gap.

Now if your bed frame is solid something like this:
http://www.finewebstores.com/zoomify...ga-k-sbase.jpg

then you can get away with just putting a "firmish" matress on it to save some cash.

Basically their version of a duvet is a comforter. Hope that helps a little.

ps. we just went to sleepy's and had a look at the different types of matresses, they have alot on dispay, from firm to very soft "pillow tops" - it helped alot.

Last edited by flnycus; Jun 8th 2010 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Comforter = nice fluffy duvet
Shams = fancy pillow cases
Quilts = padded blanket like an eiderdown

Edited to add - Tempurpedic, best $3000 ever spent
The comforters I've seen are not like a fluffy duvet. They are no where near as thick and you can't take the cover off.

To the Tempurpedic...we've had one for about 5 years now. A good second best is a 3" memory foam mattress topper from Costco.

ymclauch...get a cheap mattress and put a memory foam mattress topper on top.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flnycus
It is really weird isnt it!

Anyway first you need a bed frame. On top of this sits the Box spring. Then on top of the box spring sits the matress.

Now sometimes you dont need a box spring, but it depends on the frame and matress. If the frame has big gaps in it, something like this:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11500517/Bed_Frame.jpg

you need a box spring otherwise when you lie on it the matress will fall in the gap.
It's certainly possible to buy a bed frame with wooden slats, obviating the need for a box spring. They'll often be a wooden rather than metal frame, and often they'll be imported.

Personally, I hate box springs as i don't like the "bulk" they make a bed appear. When I moved to the US I thought I'd moved back in time a couple of decades when I saw such beds.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Sams Club have good pricing on beds.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ymclauch
So all I want to do is buy a cheap, functional bed - because we don't know how long we are staying (here on L1 so three years minimum).
FWIW, I believe you'll actually feel better for every hour of those 3 years if you get a good quality bed from the start. Don't go cheap... your back will thank you!

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I bet Costco are bigger, better and cheaper.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can get a cheap metal frame anywhere, often with poncey bits added on, then a box spring, and mattress on top.

Still won't be cheap even for rubbish.

Thing worth doing, find a local place, usually have better quality gear for similar money and you'll be able to haggle a better price from them and get it delivered pretty quickly.

Delivery is something to check into as well, some places are really quick, but some places may take weeks, or charge a fortune on top to deliver, or just deliver to the door.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Just an example, but up in Maine, when we got our bed, local furniture store price matched Sams Club, actually worked out $400 cheaper and they delivered it and set it up for free, the next morning, though they offered to deliver it that evening if we wanted.

It was a similar mattress too, but much nicer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.