Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To all Brits - Americans understand you?

To all Brits - Americans understand you?

Old Jul 21st 2015, 3:54 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all Brits - Americans understand you?

I once met a Scottish kid who was quite obviously distraught because he had difficulty being understood during his travels. "I tried to order a foosh supper and they couldn't understand me. Can you understand me???"

I understood him, and I'm a Yank. But he had quite a bit of difficulty being understood during his holiday in the north of England, just a couple of hours from his hometown.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:10 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I just write it down and show them.
Probably best not to do that in a bank.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Someone asked me the other day, if I was from Alabama. So that's new.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Someone asked me the other day, if I was from Alabama. So that's new.
I had someone suggest the same many years ago

"You're not from around here are you. Alabama ?"

I think he was taking the piss though
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I had someone suggest the same many years ago

"You're not from around here are you. Alabama ?"

I think he was taking the piss though

I spent 10 years living in Birmingham (Alabama). As a native of Birmingham England, I took extreme pleasure whenever asked where I was from... Nobody wanted to believe me.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by username.exe
Went through the drive thru at St Arbucks this morning.

All I wanted was a tall Americano (iced). It turned into one of those backwards-and-forwards things where you end up leaning out of the window and try to clearly pronounce each word directly into the speaker.

In the end, the girl says: 'So let me recap your order: you want two tall iced Americanos.'

I turned to the missus and ask her to drink the extra coffee just so I can be released from Drive Thru Hell lol.
I will never order at the drive through. We only do it on road trips though, when the whole family is in the car. I'm driving and I make hubby, who is sitting in the passenger seat, shout across me to put in the order.

I typically put it down to the fact that the reception in those speakers isn't great plus often the order taker isn't a native English speaker in the first place.

It's a bonus because it stops me from having sneaky drive through meals when out and about!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kodokan
I grew up in Hertfordshire, and probably have as close to a 'standard Brit accent overseas folk know from the BBC' as it's possible to have. I mostly don't have a problem, although it still helps to make some accommodations.
Slightly OT, but still relevant to accents. And the Herts reference made me remember. I too, have the standard news reader BBC accent. Herts born and bred. No discernible accent.

Ten or so years ago, I was traveling in wine country, California with my American fiancee and his parents. Hubby and I had just got engaged and we were announcing this to his parents plus told them that we were going to get married in small Herts town where I grew up (they'd never heard of Hertfordshire before let alone this small town).

Anyway, about to eat lunch, our server at small restaurant came out and took our drinks order. He was a Brit. When he went inside to get our drinks, I told my in-laws "that guy's accent sounds just like mine". When he delivered our order they asked him "where are you from?" He said England, and when pressed for more detail he said Herts and then even better - the SAME town. My in-laws jaws hit the floor (mine too, to be honest). We then had the classic English conversation about which school we went to and which pubs we used to drink at.

When faced with conversations like that, I'm not surprised that many Americans think that everyone in the UK knows or is related to each other!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I once met a Scottish kid who was quite obviously distraught because he had difficulty being understood during his travels. "I tried to order a foosh supper and they couldn't understand me. Can you understand me???"

I understood him, and I'm a Yank. But he had quite a bit of difficulty being understood during his holiday in the north of England, just a couple of hours from his hometown.
I'm going to guess from Glasgow, not just "Scotland". ..... Glaswegians often have difficulty been understood outside the Glasgow city limits. In fact I knew someone from Edinburgh who complained that they had difficulty understanding Glaswegians!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rab C!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is English but my Norn Iron accent must have had an effect on her as she has been "accused" (her word) of being Irish and Scottish. Although she has also been accused of being Swedish, German, Australian and South African.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine being understood 99% of the time, but for some reason nobody can understand me when I say 'eight', or the letter 'H'. I just took five goes spelling my last name on the phone to my doctor's office, because it has an 'h' in it.

I can't explain how the Northern Ireland (and some Scottish) accents pronounce the 'eɪ'(IPA) sound (like 'place', 'make') - it's more like how the word 'real' is said by everyone. Even when I say 'eight' and 'H' in a closer approximation of how an English or American person would pronounce it, they still take a few goes to understand me.

Everything else (even when I say 'zed' instead of 'zee', or say 'garridge' instead of 'gar-ahh-ge') nobody has issues with, just those two.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Also from NI but I have "anglicized" my '8' and 'H' and don't have a problem. I do have a problem with 'how', 'now', 'brown' and 'cow' though. Basically any word with that same 'ow' sound in it - 'town' is another one.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm fine being understood 99% of the time, but for some reason nobody can understand me when I say 'eight', or the letter 'H'. I just took five goes spelling my last name on the phone to my doctor's office, because it has an 'h' in it.
S. M. E. G. H. E. A.... No... H... H.... Yes... for horse.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Also from NI but I have "anglicized" my '8' and 'H' and don't have a problem. I do have a problem with 'how', 'now', 'brown' and 'cow' though. Basically any word with that same 'ow' sound in it - 'town' is another one.
Even when I 'anglicize' my '8' and 'H', they still don't get it. I think I end up coming somewhere in between and sounding like a bloody Newsline anchor or something. You know, the 'BBC NI' accent .

The -ow sound is the same for me. Also 'towel' comes out as 'toul' and short of speaking in an English accent (can't do American to save my life, I sound like a drunk Canadian), I just have to grin and bear it as I attempt to translate.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm going to guess from Glasgow, not just "Scotland". ..... Glaswegians often have difficulty been understood outside the Glasgow city limits. In fact I knew someone from Edinburgh who complained that they had difficulty understanding Glaswegians!
My guess would be a Doric speaker, thats what I have had most difficulty with in Scotland, from up around Aberdeen in the North East.. You know those times when you just nod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.