Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It all boils down to this...

It all boils down to this...

Old May 2nd 2012, 2:56 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It all boils down to this...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You seem to miss it though, emotionally and culturally. Don't underestimate that. And the door's never closed , btw. No, you can't go back to the way you saw things before you left, but I've found that doesn't matter. You haven't stood still and nor has the country - you both have changed, and it all works.

Having said that, if you miss the UK I think you will fit in culturally better at the edges of this country than the middle. You might like the Pacific Northwest.
I miss football, the countryside, pubs and the NHS. Nostalgia mate. We all idealize places we used to live in. If i grew some balls, I could find people here who are into the same stuff. There are plenty of "liberal" Americans who share my views on healthcare and the poor, etc. The more I look at it, going back would solve nothing. I have to accept this former colony as my home, warts and all.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:00 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I miss football, the countryside, pubs and the NHS. Nostalgia mate. We all idealize places we used to live in. If i grew some balls, I could find people here who are into the same stuff. There are plenty of "liberal" Americans who share my views on healthcare and the poor, etc. The more I look at it, going back would solve nothing. I have to accept this former colony as my home, warts and all.
Well it sounds as though you can do what you want. So consider that seriously.

And if you stay here, I would seriously consider Portland, Oregon.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:05 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well it's your call, but from your posts you seem to have a struggle with the US.

It seems unlikely that there are 'ghosts' in every part of the UK
Sally, you are right - I have been struggling, but I have also been in a bad marriage for many years. I at least have to wait it out before I chuck in the towel and go running back to blighty with tail lodged between legs. This is a big country and perhaps I can be happy here. I left a lot of emotional baggage back in the UK, most of which didn't follow me over here.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:06 am
Banned

Well it sounds as though you can do what you want. So consider that seriously.

And if you stay here, I would seriously consider Portland, Oregon.
The west coast seems very appealing. It seems that in the US, the further west you go, the warmer people are.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, you are right - I have been struggling, but I have also been in a bad marriage for many years. I at least have to wait it out before I chuck in the towel and go running back to blighty with tail lodged between legs. This is a big country and perhaps I can be happy here. I left a lot of emotional baggage back in the UK, most of which didn't follow me over here.
Yes that makes sense.
The west coast seems very appealing. It seems that in the US, the further west you go, the warmer people are.
Bit nutty in LA. I hear it's better up north.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes that makes sense.

Bit nutty in LA. I hear it's better up north.
Seattle. I have a good feeling about the place. Home of grunge & all.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:14 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle. I have a good feeling about the place. Home of grunge & all.
And they had a good riot there today, which is always a plus. Shows life signs.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:18 am
Banned

And they had a good riot there today, which is always a plus. Shows life signs.
So I heard. Actually the PNW has always appealed. I loved northern CA when I was there. I think it the part of America that I was *meant* to move to, rather than end up on various parts of the eastern seaboard.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

I live in the Pacific North West and I love it here. My husband is a native of Washington state. I go to college in Portland and live just across the state line in Washington. Weather is similar to UK but, and it's a big but, it actually gets lovely and sunny and warm in the summer There is a Brits group here too, I've only been once and they went to a tea room, but they go to pubs as well. Still have the problem of having to drive home from pubs as opposed to jumping in cabs, they do have them, but you have to order them in advance. Public transit not too bad if you actually live in Portland.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:48 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Pending divorce? Was that hyperbole or is that actually on the cards? If so, I'm sorry it went in that direction. You may very well be able to find somewhere here you can fit in, though. There's elsewhere in Europe as well, if the UK isn't an option for you. Don't forget though, the UK isn't just one island - I can recommend a few nice corners of blighty for you to check out ...

Got me thinking though, if the straw ever breaks the camels back and my wife and I end up separated, it will be a case of 'I can't go back' for me to, lest I want to end up never seeing my children again. I'd not even be able to leave the state, it'd amount to the same thing in a place this big. Not that it's on the cards but it's not always all sunshine and kittens at home either.

Bollocks, that went all depressing there, it's nice to see you back. If you do decide to head west on I90, make a brief detour onto 94 and stop in for a pint ...
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it a good job I'm not vindictive?
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Isn't it a good job I'm not vindictive?
We all know you're a big soft bastard at heart

I think you can cut him a break on this one, though.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:09 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We all know you're a big soft bastard at heart

I think you can cut him a break on this one, though.
I think I just did.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I think I just did.
I'm running half a step behind today, just to annoy everyone.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:13 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm running half a step behind today, just to annoy everyone.
Why tax yourself, constantly coming up with different ways?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.