Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are all Americans shallow?

Wikiposts

Are all Americans shallow?

Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Yes, 500 lb shallow people lol
Old Mar 6th 2004, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Hermotimus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are all Americans shallow?

Originally posted by dunroving
Yes, Houston was the "fattest city" last year, I believe, but they lost the title this year...
Men's Fitness magazine made that declaration for a couple of years, then awarded the title this year to Detroit. They didn't go around measuring waistlines, however; they concocted a 'formula' to determine the fatness of inhabitants: examining 14 categories, such as air quality, climate, commute time, total number of fast-food and pizza restaurants, and number of health clubs and sporting goods stores. A lot of Houston's bad points were due to the nature of the city influencing two of those factors: commute time and numbers of fast food and pizza places.

Houston takes sprawl to new extremes - the city proper has about the same area as London - roughly 600 square miles - but with only two million people to London's (six?). The Houston metropolitan statistical area covers more area than the entire state of New Jersey (more than 8,700 square miles, with 4.7 million people). That spread out design means long commute times, and people living so spread out means a larger number of fast food and pizza joints to serve a given population than in a compact city like New York or Boston.

That's not to say that Houstonians aren't awfully fond of their food and drink.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dunroving
This is a more complex question than you might think. Being more fcoused on appearance doesn't necessarily equate to shallowness. That being said, here's what I think:

Brits are far more "fashion-conscious" than Americans, in terms of what the typical person wears I think that is especially true of people over 30-40 - most American guys in particular have been walking around in button-down shirts and pleated chinos for the last 50 years. Brits and Europeans are far more cutting-edge fashion-wise (again, I'm talking about "real people" fashion, not high fashion, which is really more of an art form than reflecting what real people wear).

As for bodily appearance, body image disorders (unhealthy obession with how you look) is a greater problem in the States I think (or maybe it's just recognized more). Anyone know figures on cosmetic surgery? I'd bet that there's more per capita in the States than UK.
And yet, when my partner spent time in the UK, he thought that British people were far less fashion/appearance conscious than Americans!

I think that Britain is following America when it comes to cosmetic surgery. Women are having just about everything redesigned (I guess we have all heard of the *designer vagina* by now!), and I also read that men are becoming just as obsessed as women.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Steff
I thought that British girls about my age seemed more concerned about getting dressed up & stuff than here, but maybe thats just me!

One of my friends who went to California said they are more concerned with appearance there, but I've never been there.

I wouldn't include Texas on that list though!! I think that Houston is one of the fattest cities.

My partner in California has four children, and the two eldest girls (12 & 14) seem to be far more aware of fashion/appearance than the average British girl of that age. I have noticed that the women in CA seem to spend a lot of time and money on their hair, make up and nails! Mind you, I have also noticed that Nail Salons are beginning to appear in every shopping area in the UK too!

Despite the fact that California is often portrayed as being home to Barbie type women, my experience is that the majority seem to be grossly overweight. I have nothing against people of all sizes, but when you regularly see people who are having trouble just moving their own bulk around, well that is a bit scary!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:55 am
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

Of course they are! They pay 1/3 the price for everything and have twice the annual wastage of all the European countries put together!

>> Yup, apparently Americans are happier in general and more satisfied with their lives than their European counterparts.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Expat_Wannabe
In your experience, do you find that Americans are much more centered on physical appearance than (the cliched) sense of humour? Bearing in mind that I'm moving to Southern California and have had limited exposure to other areas, I wondered whether it was just certain states that seemed to be focused on this, like it is England. (There was a thread in The Lounge talking about Hull having a large amount of larger-than-life people, whilst London and the South has the highest proportion of skinny bints!)
As an outsider, I would reckon on California, NY, Florida and Texas being the most shallow, but think that may be a sterotyped view from watching too much TV!
I will say in TX if you walk on foot on the pavement or stand outside people seem to think you are poor. Which explains why so many people over here in this state are overweight.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:20 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by GJB
Of course they are! They pay 1/3 the price for everything and have twice the annual wastage of all the European countries put together!

>> Yup, apparently Americans are happier in general and more satisfied with their lives than their European counterparts.
Yeah but has anyone noticed the amount of PACKAGING things come with here in the U.S.?

Lord, talk about everyday is Christmas!

It takes me longer to unpack the stuff and dispose of the garbage than to buy it!

A society of consumption - that's for sure.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:25 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by veryfunny
I will say in TX if you walk on foot on the pavement or stand outside people seem to think you are poor. Which explains why so many people over here in this state are overweight.
I didn't know that.

Living at altitude with not a lot to do excepting outdoor sporting activities people here are skinnier and fitter than most Brits I know.

The local college is stuffed full of Olympic athletes and has a world class winter sports team. They come from all over the world to study here so they can ski whilst they study...lol

Down in Reno is a different cup of tea though, I'm surprised the floor in Costco doesn't have craters in it...........
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Lairdside, what brought you to Tahoe? And isn't Reno known as the "Biggest Little City in the World"?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:06 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by Caligirl4ever
Lairdside, what brought you to Tahoe? And isn't Reno known as the "Biggest Little City in the World"?
It happened to be where my husband was living, although he offered to move if I didn't like it here.

As it happens I do.

Yes, Reno does have that title. They have a couple of signs downtown to that effect. I'm not sure to be honest of the history behind it.........
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I didn't know that.

Living at altitude with not a lot to do excepting outdoor sporting activities people here are skinnier and fitter than most Brits I know.

The local college is stuffed full of Olympic athletes and has a world class winter sports team. They come from all over the world to study here so they can ski whilst they study...lol

Down in Reno is a different cup of tea though, I'm surprised the floor in Costco doesn't have craters in it...........
I live in Houston, and from talking to people, the perception over here is that if you are walking around you are classified as a bumb or loser as they call it here.

The funny thing is that when I got here I tried walking about like I used to in London but you should of seen the looks I got, even the young kids give you funny looks.

There are some joggers but very few. I am not saying every single person has this attitude but it does appear to be very common.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:26 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Maybe us brits just like to label everyone as something. We're all this and they're all that... brits like to place you in a group and are less likely to accept you into the group as Americans.

I've lived here 17 years and have always been welcomed by Americans and not so by Brits (long story). This thread went right to a discussion about who takes more care about their appearance and who weighs the most.

It kinda shows us up as being the shallow ones.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Maybe us brits just like to label everyone as something. We're all this and they're all that... brits like to place you in a group and are less likely to accept you into the group as Americans.

I've lived here 17 years and have always been welcomed by Americans and not so by Brits (long story). This thread went right to a discussion about who takes more care about their appearance and who weighs the most.

It kinda shows us up as being the shallow ones.
You will find shallow people almost everywhere in the world. I would not say most Brits are shallow however but I have seen the differences in attitudes towards the poor over here than in the UK.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally posted by veryfunny

It's the same where I live, you are basically treated like a second class citizen as a pedestrian. And as for crossing the road...forget it..you take your life in your hands each time, pedestrian crossing lights don't seem to mean a thing here!
My wife and I share a car (we only have one car anyway) because we work close to each other. People seem to find it amazing that we don't have a car each (even though I say we can't afford 2 cars - this doesn't seem to be a good enough excuse).
I also find it funny watching people in parking lots drive around for 15 minutes looking for a space close to the Mall when they could park a few rows down and walk the small distance in about 2 minutes.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by RChappo
It's the same where I live, you are basically treated like a second class citizen as a pedestrian. And as for crossing the road...forget it..you take your life in your hands each time, pedestrian crossing lights don't seem to mean a thing here!
My wife and I share a car (we only have one car anyway) because we work close to each other. People seem to find it amazing that we don't have a car each (even though I say we can't afford 2 cars - this doesn't seem to be a good enough excuse).
I also find it funny watching people in parking lots drive around for 15 minutes looking for a space close to the Mall when they could park a few rows down and walk the small distance in about 2 minutes.
Same situation about the car, cannot drive over here yet to take my test.

There just seems to be an attitude here about just for show. I rather cut my financial coat according to my size than spiral in debt.