British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ali G actor narrowly avoids lynching by rednecks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ali-g-actor-narrowly-avoids-lynching-rednecks-277311/)

elfman Jan 13th 2005 5:19 pm

Ali G actor narrowly avoids lynching by rednecks

No sense of humour, some people:

Ali G’ character causes near riot at rodeo
Crowd turns ‘downright nasty’ after ‘Borat’ garbles national anthem

British comedian Sasha Baron Cohen escaped a near-riot at an American rodeo while filming his satirical “Da Ali G Show.�

A man who was introduced as Boraq Sagdiyev from Kazakhstan — in reality a Cohen character named Borat — appeared at the rodeo over the weekend after organizers agreed to have him sing the national anthem.

After telling the crowd he supported America’s war on terrorism, he said, “I hope you kill every man, woman and child in Iraq, down to the lizards ... And may George W. Bush drink the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq.� He then sang a garbled version of “The Star-Spangled Banner.�

The Roanoke Times reported that the crowd turned “downright nasty.� One observer said “If he had been out there a minute longer, I think somebody would have shot him.�

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6821600/

sibsie Jan 13th 2005 5:25 pm

Re: Ali G actor narrowly avoids lynching by rednecks

What a stupid prick.

rogerpenycate Jan 13th 2005 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
What a stupid prick.

Sibsie, you're language. And I thought you were a nice irish lass !!!

sibsie Jan 13th 2005 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
Sibsie, you're language. And I thought you were a nice irish lass !!!

I was restraining myself. Mr Sibsie tells me that the C word isn't nice and I'm not to say it anymore. ;)

Bob Jan 13th 2005 5:43 pm

Read that yesterday, don't know about it really, apparantly he wasn't filming or anything according to the production company, so it could be some one taking the mick...

rogerpenycate Jan 13th 2005 5:46 pm

I was restraining myself. Mr Sibsie tells me that the C word isn't nice and I'm not to say it anymore. ;)

What you mean Chelsea.

Brit'n'TX Jan 13th 2005 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by elfman

British comedian Sasha Baron Cohen escaped a near-riot at an American rodeo while filming his satirical “Da Ali G Show.�

A man who was introduced as Boraq Sagdiyev from Kazakhstan — in reality a Cohen character named Borat — appeared at the rodeo over the weekend after organizers agreed to have him sing the national anthem.

After telling the crowd he supported America’s war on terrorism, he said, “I hope you kill every man, woman and child in Iraq, down to the lizards ... And may George W. Bush drink the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq.� He then sang a garbled version of “The Star-Spangled Banner.�

The Roanoke Times reported that the crowd turned “downright nasty.� One observer said “If he had been out there a minute longer, I think somebody would have shot him.�

wow ... that would have been such a loss ...

doctor scrumpy Jan 13th 2005 6:07 pm

Maybe he and Rosanne could do a double act singing the song.

antjen Jan 13th 2005 8:54 pm

he is funny though, but i can understand that people there in person, not knowing what he is about - would find him offensive!!

Ant

Bob Jan 13th 2005 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by antjen
he is funny though, but i can understand that people there in person, not knowing what he is about - would find him offensive!!

found he was a bit of a tit, but some of the stuff is amusing, and more so since I went to uni and staines was down the road, it really is like that and all...

tony126 Jan 13th 2005 11:10 pm

No wonder we say Americans don't understand British humour. Good job that lady from Florida wasn't in the crowd, the one who won the 'ball' race, I bet he would have won an Olympic sprint medal if he knew what she was capable of.

Pulaski Jan 14th 2005 1:59 am

What a stupid prick.

Quite! He had his moments when he started out a few years ago, but to go to a public event in the USA, (and post 9/11 for heaven's sake! :rolleyes: ) where there are lots of big tough cowboys and then ****-around with the American National Anthem, well, ..... Sibsie got it right! :D .... And he's d@mn lucky that someone didn't give him a good hiding.

rincewind Jan 14th 2005 3:06 am

No sense of humour these rednecks :D