Algernon

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Algernon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algernon

First post . Wondering if anyone can help.
I was born in the UK and Moved to the usa 20 yrs ago as PR. Eventually got US citizenship. My Uk passport expired December 2019 .

Will I have any issues renewing it. Is it worth paying a reputable company to complete the paperwork or should I just do the legwork myself.

Re state pension any issues having it paid into an American bank account and will my us citizenship affect my eligibility for state pension.

Thoughts advice comments greatly appreciated

Thank You all
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algernon

Originally Posted by Algernon
First post . Wondering if anyone can help.
I was born in the UK and Moved to the usa 20 yrs ago as PR. Eventually got US citizenship. My Uk passport expired December 2019 .

Will I have any issues renewing it. Is it worth paying a reputable company to complete the paperwork or should I just do the legwork myself.

Re state pension any issues having it paid into an American bank account and will my us citizenship affect my eligibility for state pension.

Thoughts advice comments greatly appreciated

Thank You all
Hi and welcome to BE.

Renewing your British passport is something you can easily do yourself, answer a couple of questions on this UK government website and you'll be given clear instructions https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Your UK State pension can be paid directly into your US bank account. Your dual citizenship won't affect your entitlement to a UK basic State pension, which is solely based on your NI contributions.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Algernon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You for taking the time to reply Very helpful
Old Mar 4th 2020, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Algernon, welcome to BE

Everything Spouse of Scouse said is correct - renewing a British passport is very easy, and using a courier each way you should get your new passport back less than 14 days after sending the application and your old passport to the UK.

A UK pension is pretty much contingent only on you have paid in enough years, which is a minimum of ten, and in fact as a US resident you are better off than pensioners living in the countries where most British expats live - in Canada, Australia, NZ, India and a number of other countries (most Commonwealth countries), British pensioners in those countries don't get the annual pension increase - it is fixed for life, or until they return permanently to the UK. Whereas if you live in the US you get the annual increase.