Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alcohol Volume in US ?????

Alcohol Volume in US ?????

Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:41 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alcohol Volume in US ?????

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I think it varies State-to-State if they have to put the ABV on.

Here in Indiana some beers have it on - others don't.

Sites like this are handy for looking up beer strength:
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

I'm sure a quick search will turn up the ABV for any bottle of wine that doesn't have it on the label.
That's a useful link. When we first moved here I resorted to googling beers, to find out the ABV, as none of the ones round here have it on the can.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
White Zinfandel is not white - despite the name
Thanks Geoff. Live and learn huh.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skiboy
I try to learn a lot about wine... by drinking it, of course! No, it's just that WZ is one I particularly like (along with Marlborough Sauvignon Plonk).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skiboy
Although Zinfandel is the most common white wine made from a red grape in the US, it is not all that uncommon to make a variety of white wines from red grapes.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Michael
Although Zinfandel is the most common white wine made from a red grape in the US, it is not all that uncommon to make a variety of white wines from red grapes.
Would a white Châteauneuf du Pap be an example of that? I've had it twice, in NYC and Seattle, but it's rare as rocking horse manure everywhere else I've asked for it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
That's true. I believe that removing the pressed liquid from the (red grape) skins earlier is how it's done.

According to Wikipedia, white CNdP is made from just the white grapes permitted in that AOC. I got a few bottles earlier this year. Very nice, but definitely not cheap.

Paul
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Would a white Châteauneuf du Pap be an example of that? I've had it twice, in NYC and Seattle, but it's rare as rocking horse manure everywhere else I've asked for it.
That would be an example just like a white Pinot Noir or white Merlot. However most of the time I believe it is the generic wines (blend of grapes that have a similar taste to the real thing) that produce both red and white wines from red grapes.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't beat Yellow Tail in my opinion. Can pick it up round here for $5 to $6 a bottle if you judge the sales right. The Shiraz is superb.

A great wine for the money. Better wine is out there of course, but I don't find anything superior until getting up to the $25 a bottle mark, which is just daft most of the time.

Oh, and always says the alcohol content on it.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:14 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I think it varies State-to-State if they have to put the ABV on.
Correct - it's a State thing. Although I'm not sure whether it's as much have to put the ABV on as are allowed to put the ABV on.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
Correct - it's a State thing. Although I'm not sure whether it's as much have to put the ABV on as are allowed to put the ABV on.
Yeah some States don't want it on as they think it will encourage people to drink the stronger stuff. Not sure about that logic really. I think what it would actually do is get people off of the light beers (especially the new 'extra light' ones) as they now know there is not so much alcohol in them.

Generally speaking I'd say a lot of Americans are a little bit clueless when it comes to alcohol content. A lot think Bud & Bud Light have the same alcohol - just that Light has less calories.

The strangest one for me is that they will have a couple of ie Newcastles or Bass's and then say they best get on something weaker and go on the Bud. They think that dark beer = stronger beer.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Can't beat Yellow Tail in my opinion. Can pick it up round here for $5 to $6 a bottle if you judge the sales right. The Shiraz is superb.

A great wine for the money. Better wine is out there of course, but I don't find anything superior until getting up to the $25 a bottle mark, which is just daft most of the time.

Oh, and always says the alcohol content on it.
Love the yellow tail, though I do have a wine that I get that's $32 it's a zinfindel that's 16%
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:43 pm

The strangest one for me is that they will have a couple of ie Newcastles or Bass's and then say they best get on something weaker and go on the Bud. They think that dark beer = stronger beer.
That may be because, with US beers, it often does.

I had some quite decent IPA, from CO, the other day. Woke up with a thicker head than expected, checked the label and it was 7%...