Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in the US

Alcohol in the US

Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol in the US

Originally Posted by Ridski
I'd love to do something like that - converting my basement into a British Pub. Unfortunately I don't know enough 17 year old girls willing to get munted on Diamond White and throw up outside my backdoor to make it authentic.
Aaahhh! Diamond White. Those were the days.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:43 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Karma worthy!!!
*bows*

Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to do something like that - converting my basement into a British Pub. Unfortunately I don't know enough 17 year old girls willing to get munted on Diamond White and throw up outside my backdoor to make it authentic.
lol, this one was good too, but you'd shot your karma wad already.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, this one was good too, but you'd shot your karma wad already.
It's OK, I karma'd him for it.

It was good.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here are some comparative international statistics for road deaths. It looks like they are derived from OECD data. Apparently, in the UK there were 5.34 road accident deaths per 100,000 population in 2004, in the USA there were 14.53. ...
I wonder what the stats are if normalized to miles driven, rather than population? I would guess that people here drive more than 3x the number of miles than folks in UK, so a 3x increase in deaths may not be so surprising.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Please don't think all 'Mericuns are so stupid to drive drunk. Even when I was at uni, none of us drove drunk. If we had a party at a friends' house, the first thing we did was take people's keys away as soon as they arrived. If we were all going out, we all made sure everyone had a DD. It wasn't always fun for the DD's, but it was worth knowing everyone would make it home ok.
You know, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I wonder if younger Americans are less likely to drive drunk.

My husband is six years older than I am, and talks about how if you were pulled over as a teenager and had alcohol, the cops would just confiscate it and send you home. (in your car, with you driving!) No penalty beyond that.

He said that once MADD came around things changed dramatically. Now when I went to high school, drinking was taken pretty seriously, and like you, my friends and I don't drive drunk. There's always a DD.

I will say that I saw two men over the weekend (in their 50's I'd guess) who were bombed out of their mind and promptly got behind the wheel. I should have called the police on them.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wonder what the stats are if normalized to miles driven, rather than population? I would guess that people here drive more than 3x the number of miles than folks in UK, so a 3x increase in deaths may not be so surprising.
Actually, the graph does show the number of fatalities per billion kilometers driven. The U. K. is listed as 7.7 and the U. S. at 9.4 (the footnote says 9.07). This would place the U. S. in the mid-range of western European countries. I imagine the most significant difference is the rural road fatality figure. The site says that most U. S. fatalities occur on rural roads. How big a percentage of the total road mileage in the U. K. can be classified as rural and what proportion of total miles are driven on them? Also, does anyone have any idea why Belgium's rate is about twice that of other western European countries? It makes me wonder about the general reliability of the figures.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okachickima
Also, does anyone have any idea why Belgium's rate is about twice that of other western European countries? It makes me wonder about the general reliability of the figures.
I had a glass of beer in Bruges once with an alcohol content of 16%
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I once spent a day trying to ride my bike into a headwind before eventually grinding to a halt in Ghent. (Yeah I know, who goes on a cycling holiday in a sceneryless country like Belgium?). Anyway, I was absolutely wiped so decided a quick beer would hit the spot before finding somewhere for dinner.

There was just me and the barman and he asked me if I wanted a light or a dark beer. "I dunno" I said. "Dark I suppose." I didn't know that in Belgium, "dark" is a euphemism for "So strong, it would knock out an elephant." It came in a goldfish bowl sized glass and the fumes alone were enough to give me a buzz. It took about an hour to drink the thing and by then I'd decided that I could probably skip dinner and just go for a lie down.

Fortunately, my hotel wasn't far away because all the way back, the walls of each building I passed leapt out and punched me. Apparently I made it home because I woke up the next morning fully dressed, but half off the bed.

If the Belgians drive after drinking that stuff then it's a wonder there are any left.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:24 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Diamond White..omg...that almost hurts to remember!!!

I also remember the cheap imitation you could buy at "Iceland" that only cost a couple of quid for a huge bottle.

I'm suprised I have any stomach lining left!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here are some comparative international statistics for road deaths. It looks like they are derived from OECD data. Apparently, in the UK there were 5.34 road accident deaths per 100,000 population in 2004, in the USA there were 14.53. I suspect that living in a rural area, the carnage is much worse than in cities... everyone complains about Boston drivers, but probably most of their collisions are at low speed and not fatal.
most of the accidents are side swipes and usually at speed....people don't realise "yeild" means stop if you can't make it because no one stops and the crazy exit/entrance ramps interweave everywhere over here.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Funny you should mention that! I was out for dinner in some fancy restaurant the other night and they didn't have any 'recognizable' beers on the menu, just exotic imports I had never heard of, so I ordered a Belgian one at random. It tasted good. The next day, I had a lousy hangover - inconsistent with a couple of beers. I looked up the beer online, and it had some ridiculous alcohol content!

Personally I seek out lower-alcohol beers these days so I can drink more.

I hate restaurants that only carry 'fancy' beers - I appreciate having a choice of beers, but carry some of the basics for those of us who really know what we want!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 21st 2009 at 6:24 am.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:08 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Funny you should mention that! I was out for dinner in some fancy restaurant the other night and they didn't have any 'recognizable' beers on the menu, just exotic imports I had never heard of, so I ordered a Belgian one at random. It tasted good. The next day, I had a lousy hangover - inconsistent with a couple of beers. I looked up the beer online, and it had some ridiculous alcohol content!

Personally I seek out lower-alcohol beers these days so I can drink more.

I hate restaurants that only carry 'fancy' beers - I appreciate having a choice of beers, but carry some of the basics for those of us who really know what we want!
Yup, those trappist beers will do that.

You're not alone, though. Back in England, the big thing last year was "Becks Vier" - supposed to taste the same as regular Becks, but 4% ABV instead of 5%.

Down here, I tend to drink Tecate. 4.5% and, unlike Bud, Coors etc, you can actually taste it.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stockton
I once spent a day trying to ride my bike into a headwind before eventually grinding to a halt in Ghent. (Yeah I know, who goes on a cycling holiday in a sceneryless country like Belgium?). Anyway, I was absolutely wiped so decided a quick beer would hit the spot before finding somewhere for dinner.

There was just me and the barman and he asked me if I wanted a light or a dark beer. "I dunno" I said. "Dark I suppose." I didn't know that in Belgium, "dark" is a euphemism for "So strong, it would knock out an elephant." It came in a goldfish bowl sized glass and the fumes alone were enough to give me a buzz. It took about an hour to drink the thing and by then I'd decided that I could probably skip dinner and just go for a lie down.

Fortunately, my hotel wasn't far away because all the way back, the walls of each building I passed leapt out and punched me. Apparently I made it home because I woke up the next morning fully dressed, but half off the bed.

If the Belgians drive after drinking that stuff then it's a wonder there are any left.
God, what a great story. I am peeing myself laughing at that one
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

val2val is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy to forget just how big America is compared to the UK. If you drink drive in the UK, the risk of passing a police car is always pretty high. But in the U.S, outside of the big cities, there is just so much road (or open highway as they like to call it). A lot of locals still drive to the local bar, have three or four beers, and then drive the short distance home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.