Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in the US

Alcohol in the US

Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol in the US

Please don't think all 'Mericuns are so stupid to drive drunk. Even when I was at uni, none of us drove drunk. If we had a party at a friends' house, the first thing we did was take people's keys away as soon as they arrived. If we were all going out, we all made sure everyone had a DD. It wasn't always fun for the DD's, but it was worth knowing everyone would make it home ok.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Please don't think all 'Mericuns are so stupid to drive drunk. Even when I was at uni, none of us drove drunk. If we had a party at a friends' house, the first thing we did was take people's keys away as soon as they arrived. If we were all going out, we all made sure everyone had a DD. It wasn't always fun for the DD's, but it was worth knowing everyone would make it home ok.
Uni's a bit different...generally you ain't allowed to drink and parents get annoyed when one gets kicked out of college

Things are better in bigger cities for sure though, but it doesn't extend very far out into the burbs
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:40 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

It's no different across the border here, seems to be socially acceptable and have personally seen cars weaving down the road.... Was a bit of an eye opener, I expected it to be at least as taboo as it is in the UK now....

They toughened the rules in Ontario recently, but not sure it will have much effect...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a large number of people who are very obviously under the influence while they are driving... Seriously, nobody could drive as badly if sober.

I've actually heard people where I work exchanging stories about their favorite method for getting away with drink driving when pulled over by the cops and some people go out to the bar for several hours straight from work and have no issue with drive home afterwards.

People don't seem to give it a second thought a lot of the time.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:22 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I've seen a large number of people who are very obviously under the influence while they are driving... Seriously, nobody could drive as badly if sober.

I've actually heard people where I work exchanging stories about their favorite method for getting away with drink driving when pulled over by the cops and some people go out to the bar for several hours straight from work and have no issue with drive home afterwards.

People don't seem to give it a second thought a lot of the time.
thats scary, I was amazed when I got here, when you think that our perception of Americans is they don't drink and think you are an alcoholic if you have more than one drinK! how wrong I was!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:33 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by made of kent
thats scary, I was amazed when I got here, when you think that our perception of Americans is they don't drink and think you are an alcoholic if you have more than one drinK! how wrong I was!
I think it depends on time and circumstance. IME, Americans don't drink at lunchtime, and will think you an alky if you have a swift half on your lunch break. The corollary to that is that whereas we'd go out for a few jars in the evening, an American drinker (and many are not) gets as bladdered as he can as quickly as possible. It's a bit Japanese, in that respect.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think it depends on time and circumstance. IME, Americans don't drink at lunchtime, and will think you an alky if you have a swift half on your lunch break. The corollary to that is that whereas we'd go out for a few jars in the evening, an American drinker (and many are not) gets as bladdered as he can as quickly as possible. It's a bit Japanese, in that respect.
This is one aspect of the US culture that I have yet to figure out! I associate almost 100% with local Americans. Not only do they not even consider a drink at lunchtime, they are not likely to want to go 'for a beer' at night either. They will go out for dinner and have a glass or two of wine, or a sociable beer or two with a meal, but no-one seems interested in drinking too much. This observation is primarily in the not-exactly-conservative Bay Area. But if I go to a sports-bar (not my personal favorite, but sometimes friends want to meet there), there seem to be plenty of baseball-cap wearing folks getting ripped. So - would it be fair to say this is a bit of a 'blue collar/white collar' thing?

I personally drink at home - I prefer it that way ... supposedly a sure sign of alcoholism!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:43 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
You are right -

"If convicted of a first offense DUI, there is a minimum mandatory jail requirement of one to ten days with a maximum jail term of six months. You can also be fined from $250.00 to $2,500.00 plus surcharges and placed on probation for up to five years."

You may also be compelled to install a device that checks your breath before and during driving.

The taxi is probably a good idea I don't fancy doing jailtime in PHX (or anywhere else!)
Christ, no wonder everyone out there is on meth.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This is one aspect of the US culture that I have yet to figure out! I associate almost 100% with local Americans. Not only do they not even consider a drink at lunchtime, they are not likely to want to go 'for a beer' at night either. They will go out for dinner and have a glass or two of wine, or a sociable beer or two with a meal, but no-one seems interested in drinking too much. This observation is primarily in the not-exactly-conservative Bay Area. But if I go to a sports-bar (not my personal favorite, but sometimes friends want to meet there), there seem to be plenty of baseball-cap wearing folks getting ripped. So - would it be fair to say this is a bit of a 'blue collar/white collar' thing?

I personally drink at home - I prefer it that way ... supposedly a sure sign of alcoholism!
This is true. Most Americans outside the Frat Boy groups are drinking a couple with meals. Where i live there are two bars within walking distance, which is actually one of the reasons we picked our town. There are tons of places in South Jersey, though, where there's a ton of bars on strip malls on a highway nowhere any civilization. Makes no sense...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Christ, no wonder everyone out there is on meth.
Karma worthy!!!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Same here. I've spent the last year converting my basement into a British pub. I mainly drink there, either with visitors or on my tod. I live in the burbs but there are no bars or anywhere I can get a drink within about 5 miles of my front door!

Once a month I meet with some friends in a bar in the middle of us all (about 30mins from my house). I'll have 2 drinks and drive home (back in UK i wouldn't drive if I'd had more than 1 pint). I feel bad about it because I'm sure I'm over the limit.

Back home my social life revolved around pubs. There was probably a dozen pubs within a 10 minute walk from my front door. It's so different here and it's by far the thing I miss the most but you just have to adjust. I know I could just move into the city more to be near bars, but I love the area I live and just wish it had a couple of bars nearby.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Glen Ellyn Service Crew will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Ohio has DUI plates and it's amazing to see the number of them around. If you're in OH, look out for yellow plates with red text. They are cars owned by somebody busted for DUI and on a limited license.
They are called party plates.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
I've spent the last year converting my basement into a British pub.
but I love the area I live and just wish it had a couple of bars nearby.

I see an opportunity here.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some comparative international statistics for road deaths. It looks like they are derived from OECD data. Apparently, in the UK there were 5.34 road accident deaths per 100,000 population in 2004, in the USA there were 14.53. I suspect that living in a rural area, the carnage is much worse than in cities... everyone complains about Boston drivers, but probably most of their collisions are at low speed and not fatal.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:16 pm
Diamond Geezer

Same here. I've spent the last year converting my basement into a British pub. I mainly drink there, either with visitors or on my tod. I live in the burbs but there are no bars or anywhere I can get a drink within about 5 miles of my front door!
I'd love to do something like that - converting my basement into a British Pub. Unfortunately I don't know enough 17 year old girls willing to get munted on Diamond White and throw up outside my backdoor to make it authentic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.