Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in the US

Wikiposts

Alcohol in the US

Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol in the US

Originally Posted by Juswus
Everyone drink drives around here :curse::curse::curse:
Had a mate lose his license because he was sleeping it off in the front seat of his car when a cop knocked on his window...had to do one of those classes to reduce the ban and the instructor couldn't say "alcoholic"

Anyway, one of the folks there walked out on the first day as he couldn't figure out how to tick some of the boxes and was drunk and another person was there for the fifth time
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyway, one of the folks there walked out on the first day as he couldn't figure out how to tick some of the boxes and was drunk and another person was there for the fifth time
Yes, and not to labour an old point, but it does piss me off the way that DPS people in TX regard folks like that as being somehow more deserving of a license than LPRs.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty certain that we do not have a taxi in my County. Which is bigger than the largest UK County.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

States out west have pretty large counties, some of them. The eastern ones not so much. GA is only second to TX for having the largest number of counties. Our counties are teeny... but I'm not sure how big they would be compared to a county in the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
States out west have pretty large counties, some of them. The eastern ones not so much. GA is only second to TX for having the largest number of counties. Our counties are teeny... but I'm not sure how big they would be compared to a county in the UK.
Round our way, it's not unusual for counties to subcontract most of the "being a county" stuff to neighbouring counties. On account of being a big square area on the map, comprised of dirt and a couple of people.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ohio has DUI plates and it's amazing to see the number of them around. If you're in OH, look out for yellow plates with red text. They are cars owned by somebody busted for DUI and on a limited license.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is a non-drinker he is not against it he just has never found a drink he likes so that works out perfect for me when we go out I get to drink and he drives. If I go out with friends he drives me then picks me up... he likes it when I have had a drink
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's pretty bad in general compared to UK, though it has improved somewhat over the decades. An old US buddy of mine told me a tale of how he was pulled over in the 80s, drunk as a skunk, and was 'banned from driving' -except he was allowed to drive to work, and also to the grocery store, since these were 'essentials of life' (this was Florida, circa 1980). He simply carried a bag of groceries on the back seat at all times and claimed he'd just been to the store ...

I think it depends largely on enforcement. If the cops aren't out pulling people over at midnight on Friday, then people are going to take the risk, sadly. I'm spending time in Scottsdale, AZ at the moment and downtown Scottsdale on a Friday night looks like an airport in terms of taxis - they are literally lining up by the dozen to take folks home, which is pretty darned good. I can only imagine this is due to heavy police enforcement.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:27 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'd say it's pretty bad in general compared to UK, though it has improved somewhat over the decades. An old US buddy of mine told me a tale of how he was pulled over in the 80s, drunk as a skunk, and was 'banned from driving' -except he was allowed to drive to work, and also to the grocery store, since these were 'essentials of life' (this was Florida, circa 1980). He simply carried a bag of groceries on the back seat at all times and claimed he'd just been to the store ...

I think it depends largely on enforcement. If the cops aren't out pulling people over at midnight on Friday, then people are going to take the risk, sadly. I'm spending time in Scottsdale, AZ at the moment and downtown Scottsdale on a Friday night looks like an airport in terms of taxis - they are literally lining up by the dozen to take folks home, which is pretty darned good. I can only imagine this is due to heavy police enforcement.
Warning, they have under-road speed traps in Scottsdale which I got caught with. Cost me a couple of hundred bucks. I had no idea they were there... I never really knew where I was though either... Confused btw, not drunk!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:13 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Had a mate lose his license because he was sleeping it off in the front seat of his car when a cop knocked on his window...had to do one of those classes to reduce the ban and the instructor couldn't say "alcoholic"

Yeah, we hold those DEEP courses in one of our meeting rooms every now and then.......the bins outside are full of booze bottles that weekend
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You are right -

"If convicted of a first offense DUI, there is a minimum mandatory jail requirement of one to ten days with a maximum jail term of six months. You can also be fined from $250.00 to $2,500.00 plus surcharges and placed on probation for up to five years."

You may also be compelled to install a device that checks your breath before and during driving.

The taxi is probably a good idea I don't fancy doing jailtime in PHX (or anywhere else!)
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:13 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

yes all our friends drink and drive! they think we are strange, because we don't
DH has taken to pretending to drink! just so he doesn't get shit about it!
we went out last week 11 adults, and we where the only ones apart from one women whos 17 yr old was driving, that had a non drinking driver! and even then she kept encouraging her daughter to have a drink (dispite illegal!)
one of the men was so drunk, he kept failing off his chair! he lives in our neighbourhood, so we kept offering a lift home! and to take him back in the morning to collect his car! no, he was going clubbing! and he drove home! I don't understand it? these are some of the nicest people you will ever meet, a couple of them are so christian they don't believe in evolution? but they will happily go out and drink drive!
and I understand about the lack of transport! but still! how difficult is it? to have a DD!
I was so struck by the differences when I had my birthday party in March, all the Brit couples had decided who was driving, the American couples just drank!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by made of kent
a couple of them are so christian they don't believe in evolution? but they will happily go out and drink drive!
Christ, yes! I encountered one the other day. Pisshead or felon or both. Really wanted to see some "British Currency". I had a tenner in my wallet, showed it to him and he got all pissy 'cos it had a pic of Charles Darwin on it.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:40 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Christ, yes! I encountered one the other day. Pisshead or felon or both. Really wanted to see some "British Currency". I had a tenner in my wallet, showed it to him and he got all pissy 'cos it had a pic of Charles Darwin on it.
maybe these type of people prove we are still apes?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:41 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I often see drunks on my way home from work at 5-ish. I see them pull out from one bar, swerve all over the road then pull in at another so they've probably been cut off. Just makes you a more cautious driver so you can avoid them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.