Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aladdins cave

Aladdins cave

Old May 14th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Aladdins cave

Yesterday afternoon I was stuck in Yonkers for 10 hours and decided to go and have my usual 'English Breakfast' at the raceway diner

After eating my grub I drove out of the parking lot to the right, through two sets of lights and saw a parking space outside 'Morleys' shop so I decided to check it out

What a paradise ..... Real Mars bars, real choclate, every sort of English biscuts you can think of, ever sort of English choclate you can think of

Came away with 10 crunchies, 4 Peppermint Aero's, 4 Flakes and 3 packs of Plain chocolate homewheat (McVitties of course)

Will return later this week for more goodies

Jaffa cakes me thinks to start !
Old May 14th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aladdins cave

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Yesterday afternoon I was stuck in Yonkers for 10 hours and decided to go and have my usual 'English Breakfast' at the raceway diner

After eating my grub I drove out of the parking lot to the right, through two sets of lights and saw a parking space outside 'Morleys' shop so I decided to check it out

What a paradise ..... Real Mars bars, real choclate, every sort of English biscuts you can think of, ever sort of English choclate you can think of

Came away with 10 crunchies, 4 Peppermint Aero's, 4 Flakes and 3 packs of Plain chocolate homewheat (McVitties of course)

Will return later this week for more goodies

Jaffa cakes me thinks to start !
Finally another plain chocolate Homewheat fan! Everyone usually wants the milk ones. Blech!
Old May 14th 2008, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Finally another plain chocolate Homewheat fan! Everyone usually wants the milk ones. Blech!
Dark choc digestives for me too and Bounty Bars...just doesn't taste the same with milk chocolate.

I had a dark choc Bounty at the weekend from my local UK goody store.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:59 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Dark choc digestives for me too and Bounty Bars...just doesn't taste the same with milk chocolate.

I had a dark choc Bounty at the weekend from my local UK goody store.
I always say, if you're gonna do chocolate, you have to do the proper stuff, not that namby-pamby milk chocolate.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I always say, if you're gonna do chocolate, you have to do the proper stuff, not that namby-pamby milk chocolate.
If you're ever on I-287 south...take the Bernardsville exit...Gary's Wine Store stocks a good selection of British goodies. Likewise the Irish Store at Bridgewater Mall...a little further south on I-287.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone thought of doing a POI file for sat-nav applications, for the places to get british food?

I think I may start a thread about this in The Lab.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting idea. And you have to have either John Cleese or the Queen as the voice for it to work. Although Mr T is still my favorite...
Old May 14th 2008, 5:48 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you're ever on I-287 south...take the Bernardsville exit...Gary's Wine Store stocks a good selection of British goodies. Likewise the Irish Store at Bridgewater Mall...a little further south on I-287.
Sometimes go to Bridgewater mall but never been in the "Irish" store; never looked like it had anything interesting in it. Is the selection better than you would find at Stop n shop and Wegmans?

Is that Gary's related to the one in Madison. I'm infrequently in Madison so would look into that (either way, it's not far from the one you mention anyway).
Old May 14th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Has anyone thought of doing a POI file for sat-nav applications, for the places to get british food?

SAT NAV ??????

F'kin whimps Buy a ****** road map

Directions to Morleys ;-

I 87 north from the I-95 cross bronx expressway or south from the Tappan Zee Bridge to exit for Yonkers ave, head west towards Downtown Yonkers and its about 100 yards on the right
Old May 14th 2008, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by neil
Sometimes go to Bridgewater mall but never been in the "Irish" store; never looked like it had anything interesting in it. Is the selection better than you would find at Stop n shop and Wegmans?

Is that Gary's related to the one in Madison. I'm infrequently in Madison so would look into that (either way, it's not far from the one you mention anyway).
It has a selection of British chocolate near the door...there are British grocery items towards the back. I would say it is better than Shop n Stop and Wegmans...although I haven't been in Wegmans for a couple of years.

Yes it's the same Gary's...I shopped in that one on Saturday. The Bernardsville store normally has a better selection IMO...hit and miss depends whether he's just had a delivery. If there's anything particular you want mention it to Gary and he'll do his best to get it.

If you're ever in Chester there is a little cafe that sells British goodies too. Think it's called Sally Lunn's Tea Room...it's down one of those little lanes off the main street.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=10861677

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 14th 2008 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:45 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

I've created one for the state of Iowa..... it's blank....
Old May 15th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL