British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Al Gore's 'Current TV' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/al-gores-current-tv-318656/)

anotherlimey Aug 7th 2005 8:31 pm

Al Gore's 'Current TV'

Al Gore has created a TV channel called 'Current TV', currently on channel 125 of my Comcast cable.

It's aimed at Internet savvy 18-34 year olds; I'm in the 'demographic range', but I'm a little lost as to what it's all supposed to be about. They have short segments where viewers have sent in their own news reports (called Pods), I just saw one about buying sneakers - before I turned it over to watch something far more interesting.

Cable TV is crammed with crap already and this doesn't seem to be anything different. There's a reason regular people don't make TV - because it would be crap.

TouristTrap Aug 7th 2005 10:45 pm

Re: Al Gore's 'Current TV'

It must be good though after all, he invented the internet........ :zzz:

Muswell Hill Aug 8th 2005 1:22 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Al Gore has created a TV channel called 'Current TV', currently on channel 125 of my Comcast cable.

It's aimed at Internet savvy 18-34 year olds; I'm in the 'demographic range', but I'm a little lost as to what it's all supposed to be about. They have short segments where viewers have sent in their own news reports (called Pods), I just saw one about buying sneakers - before I turned it over to watch something far more interesting.

Cable TV is crammed with crap already and this doesn't seem to be anything different. There's a reason regular people don't make TV - because it would be crap.

This shite has taken over the channel that used to be occupied by Newsworld international, the only decent newschannel on telly. It used to show the ITN news daily which I loved.
I am also in their demographic, but this channel is shite. I watched it for 5 minutes the other day, but a "pod" on finding Paris Hilton's phone number is not news.

Another complete load of crap.....

tony126 Aug 8th 2005 1:26 am

Not nice to speak about someone who almost became President of the USA. :)

elfman Aug 8th 2005 2:36 am

Originally Posted by tony126

You're right - it's much more fun to slag off the guy who actually did become president.

NJ_Dave Aug 8th 2005 2:59 am

Originally Posted by elfman
You're right - it's much more fun to slag off the guy who actually did become president.

The guy lost to Dubya FFS. If that's not grounds for taking the piss, I don't know what is :D

gruffbrown Aug 8th 2005 3:01 am

Originally Posted by tony126

Paris Hilton ran for President :eek: ...........when?

dbj1000 Aug 8th 2005 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
This shite has taken over the channel that used to be occupied by Newsworld international, the only decent newschannel on telly. It used to show the ITN news daily which I loved.
I am also in their demographic, but this channel is shite. I watched it for 5 minutes the other day, but a "pod" on finding Paris Hilton's phone number is not news.

Another complete load of crap.....

Yup, we're mourning the loss of ITV News too. Who would have guessed that we'd miss the tabloid journalism that passes for National News on ITV now? :D

The BBC World News just seems so... serious. All those wars and stuff, and in all those countries we're not interested in!

;)

TimFountain Aug 8th 2005 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yup, we're mourning the loss of ITV News too. Who would have guessed that we'd miss the tabloid journalism that passes for National News on ITV now? :D

The BBC World News just seems so... serious. All those wars and stuff, and in all those countries we're not interested in!

;)

Agreed,
NWI was the only news channel worth watching, and the ITV news was the only true UK news that I managed to find over here. My treat of an evening was the 1/2 hour catchup on what's happening in the UK.

BBC News 24 is a pile of poo. I get it on one of the PBS channels, but it has terrible quality (you know, green people strange colors etc). Have you noticed how they just take 1/2 hour of whatever was on News -24 and then just replay that? The other morning I went to watch the morning news, the whole 1/2 hour was something about Condelezza Rice (or however you spell her name). No news there then.

Is it just me or is Rice a very scary woman? There's just something about her that isn't quite right.

I really do not watch much TV any more (maybe 1 hour per week), and am considering cancelling my cable contract, it really is that bad....

- Tim

fatbrit Aug 8th 2005 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Is it just me or is Rice a very scary woman? There's just something about her that isn't quite right.

You're right! She's scary and not quite right but with brains = bloody dangerous. :scared: