Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Airport transit time query please

Airport transit time query please

Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of
Default Airport transit time query please

Dear all,

Am arriving into chicago o hare on a Saturday lunchtime. Is 2 hours gap enough to clear immigration collect bag and transfer to connecting flight?

I remember you cant check the bag through when coming from overseas and have to collect it and transfer to some other thing. Please could someone enlighten me on this if possible.

Anyhow just wanted to make sure 2 hours was enough overall

regards
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport transit time query please

Originally Posted by needle
Dear all,

Am arriving into chicago o hare on a Saturday lunchtime. Is 2 hours gap enough to clear immigration collect bag and transfer to connecting flight?

I remember you cant check the bag through when coming from overseas and have to collect it and transfer to some other thing. Please could someone enlighten me on this if possible.

Anyhow just wanted to make sure 2 hours was enough overall

regards
What visa are you entering on?

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of if you need to go through secondary or not, I think 2 hours at a major hub like ORD (O'Hare) is cutting it very fine.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd say two hours is plenty. The risk is that immigration is backed, but my experience has been that larger airports are better staffed and that immigration wait times are less than at smaller airports. Even IF you had to wait for half an hour, you should still be fine. ..... Now if you're immigrating with a visa that requires a trip to secondary for fingerprint and paperwork, then you should allow longer, .... at least three hours.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What visa are you entering on?

Rene
am on ESTA its just a 2 week visit never had any issues on entry i.e no secondary etc before just wanted to check 2 hours is enough

am not processing a visa or GC etc on this trip just straightforward 2 week trip my connecting flight is 2 hrs 5 mins after landing there

regards
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Are the international and domestic airline the same? I.e are they transferring your bag between aircraft or do you have to collect and recheck?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this just over a year ago at ORD, on an ESTA, same airline in and out.

I allowed 3 hours and only just made it. I think I was unlucky though. The time split was
  • 2 hours to clear immigration, there was at least 1 whole other flight already in the queue, at one point we were down to a single officer.
  • Got my bag, through customs and re-check, this took about 3 minutes.
  • Then about 20 minutes to get to a different terminal
  • 1/2 hour in the security queue there.
  • 10 minutes to run to the gate which they were closing at the time.

If immigration had even taken an hour I would have been in good shape. I know a lot of people missed connections and just got on later flights, so aside from the delay it didn't appear to be a big deal.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Are the international and domestic airline the same? I.e are they transferring your bag between aircraft or do you have to collect and recheck?
Doesn't have to be the same airline. As long as the airlines involved have an Interline agreement they can through check bags and issue boarding passes. All that needs to be done in the US is grab bags, go through customs, put bags back on the transfer belt.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
there is a terminal switch for my flight from terminal 5 to terminal 3 at o hare. i checked the timetable to see how many international flights arrive at the same time but have no idea how this guides the wait!

i just have no idea what is the ideal bench mark figure for times between flights? is 3 hrs a good rule of thumb??
Old Jun 29th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

there is a terminal switch for my flight from terminal 5 to terminal 3 at o hare. i checked the timetable to see how many international flights arrive at the same time but have no idea how this guides the wait!

i just have no idea what is the ideal bench mark figure for times between flights? is 3 hrs a good rule of thumb??
You will need to clear Immigration, claim your bag, clear Customs and then hand your bag over to the AA Staff at T5.

Then exit the Terminal and catch the Monorail to T3 and go through security again. Sometimes, it has taken me only a few minutes,

However, I have known other people to take 2-3 hours.

Hopefully, your International flight will not be delayed.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jun 29th 2013 at 1:03 am.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 12:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

O'Hare is one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) airport in the USA. Terminals are far apart and you have to catch a tram to get around between them. Personally, I would leave at least 3 hours between flights.

Rene
Old Jun 29th 2013, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

my alternative is i can go via atlanta with a 3 hour transit time in between not sure whether that the better option!
Old Jun 29th 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

If you are in the queue and you have an onward flight departing you must tell some of the border people standing around doing nothing that you have a flight leaving at x time and ask is there enough time to catch it?

Also try to get to immigration as quick as you can
Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

O'Hare has quite a few uncertainties about it such that 2 hours isn't ideal. Is it doable in best or even normal circumstances, yes and more or less, but in less than ideal situations you could be stuck.

Things that can affect this transfer:

Air Traffic DELAYS (O'Hare has significant problems with this).
Weather DELAYS (you are flying into thunderstorm world so it can happen)
Line at Immigration
Transit by Monorail (usually ok)
Security line to re-enter (can be bad)
Hike to your gate (O'Hare has some long walks).

A solo traveller with some experience with airports--yea, go for it.
A family with kids and a stroller and carry ons--ugh.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 5:58 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
O'Hare is one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) airport in the USA. Terminals are far apart and you have to catch a tram to get around between them. Personally, I would leave at least 3 hours between flights.

Rene
Dosent hold a candle to ATL - which is is the busiest airport in the world by aircraft movement - O'Hare is second with some 120,000 less movements per annum. ATL seems to handle the traffic better though in my opinion, especially since the construction of the new international terminal.

I agree, 3 hours is always the ideal connection time.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 29th 2013 at 6:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.