Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Airport hassle for Permanent residents!!

Airport hassle for Permanent residents!!

Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Airport hassle for Permanent residents!!

This has already been posted on the Immigration board, but I figured many of the US regulars might miss it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579387

I am so utterly pissed off with this country...

[Never mind.......... I see Tim beat me to it... Still, I'm bloody mad...]

Millions of green card holders will be fingerprinted and photographed every time they enter the United States as part of an expansion of a controversial biometric program, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced on Thursday.

The expansion of the US-VISIT program to permanent residents--also known as green card holders--takes effect on January 18, 2009. At the moment, the program's biometric requirements apply to foreign citizens with a non-immigrant visa or those traveling as part of the so-called Visa Waiver program.

Anyone screened as part of the US-VISIT program must provide digital fingerprints and a photograph at the border, plus date of birth, address while in the country, and other information that the U.S. government deems appropriate. The information is checked against a government database of known terrorists and criminals. Refusing to give prints of all 10 fingers will result in being denied entry to the country.

"Expanding enrollment in US-VISIT is a positive step forward in a process designed to further improve public safety and national security while ensuring the integrity of the immigration system," the DHS said in a statement. "Linking a person's biometric information to his or her travel documents reduces the risk that a traveler's identity or documents could be intentionally misused by someone attempting to gain entry into the United States."

Last edited by Elvira; Dec 20th 2008 at 12:19 am.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport hassle for Permanent residents!!

When I had mine done as a VWP visitor the process was very quick. Not quite sure why you're mad.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

Wonder if the people doing the screening will be Legal US residents ??
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:33 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thread closed as there is already a more active thread on the same subject.