Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

airplane ticket name (maiden or new last name)

airplane ticket name (maiden or new last name)

Old Feb 24th 2002, 1:40 am
Kracksmith

Default airplane ticket name (maiden or new last name)

i'm planning to make a purchase of her international airline ticket

her passport has her maiden last name. and when i was about to purchase the ticket,
it said the ticket and passport has to match exactly.

so should she use her maiden last name? and if so, on her returning flight how should
she explain to the INS that she is married and has a different last name. does the
INS know automatically what's going on if she brought her green card with her new
last name?

Old Feb 24th 2002, 9:00 am
F D

Default Re: airplane ticket name (maiden or new last name)

my ticket also was on my maiden name, don't worry about it..

Kracksmith <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > i'm planning to make a purchase of her international airline ticket
    >
    > her passport has her maiden last name. and when i was about to purchase
the
    > ticket, it said the ticket and passport has to match exactly.
    >
    > so should she use her maiden last name? and if so, on her returning flight
how
    > should she explain to the INS that she is married and has a different last name.
    > does the INS know automatically what's going on if she brought her
green
    > card with her new last name?

Old Feb 24th 2002, 1:20 pm
Ranjini

The INS can track her down just using the A#. She is in their system, you can be sure
of that. As for the ticket, go with what the airline says. It doesn't matter. Ranjini

"Kracksmith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > i'm planning to make a purchase of her international airline ticket
    >
    > her passport has her maiden last name. and when i was about to purchase
the
    > ticket, it said the ticket and passport has to match exactly.
    >
    > so should she use her maiden last name? and if so, on her returning flight
how
    > should she explain to the INS that she is married and has a different last name.
    > does the INS know automatically what's going on if she brought her
green
    > card with her new last name?

Old Feb 24th 2002, 10:20 pm
Finn

This isn't really that relevant, because I am talking about English immigration here,
but when my wife came over here, she bought her ticket under her maiden name, because
that was simply what is still on her passport. That was acceptable for UK Immigration
agents, although they did ask to see the marriage certificate...

Old Feb 24th 2002, 11:20 pm
Steve Hubbard

Use the name that is in her passport...INS, her government, ect doesn't care...follow
the rules of the air carrier if you want to get her from point A to point be without
any hassles...best wishes

Old Feb 25th 2002, 6:00 am
Kracksmith

Use the name that is in her passport...INS, her government, ect doesn't care...follow
the rules of the air carrier if you want to get her from point A to point be without
any hassles...best wishes

i don't fear her getting to point A but i fear about point B (coming back with
no problems)

does she need to bring any marriage certificate? or does the USA INS knows she is
married with her 2 year green card which has her new last name?

Old Feb 25th 2002, 2:30 pm
Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Kracksmith
<[email protected]> writes

>i'm planning to make a purchase of her international airline ticket
    >
    >her passport has her maiden last name. and when i was about to purchase the ticket,
    >it said the ticket and passport has to match exactly.
    >
    >so should she use her maiden last name? and if so, on her returning flight how
    >should she explain to the INS that she is married and has a different last name.
    >does the INS know automatically what's going on if she brought her green card with
    >her new last name?

As far as the airline company is concerned the name on the passport and on the ticket
should match or else you don't get on, at least not without a lot of proof to explain
the difference. We had that problem a couple of years ago [ticket in married name,
passport in maiden name] but we'd got a copy of our marriage certificate to show the
people we were visiting and that convinced the airline.
--
paul 58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes 97-99 London
99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Feb 25th 2002, 2:41 pm
Maarten W.G. An

"paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <[email protected]>, Kracksmith
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    > >i'm planning to make a purchase of her international airline ticket
    > >
    > >her passport has her maiden last name. and when i was about to purchase
the
    > >ticket, it said the ticket and passport has to match exactly.
    > >
    > >so should she use her maiden last name? and if so, on her returning
flight how
    > >should she explain to the INS that she is married and has a different
last
    > >name. does the INS know automatically what's going on if she brought her
green
    > >card with her new last name?
    >
    > As far as the airline company is concerned the name on the passport and on the
    > ticket should match or else you don't get on, at least not without a lot of proof
    > to explain the difference. We had that problem a couple of years ago [ticket in
    > married name, passport in maiden name] but we'd got a copy of our marriage
    > certificate to show the people we were visiting and that convinced the airline.

We had the same problem once. My wife's old passport was still in her ex-husbands
name for a while. We didn't care so much because it was just a document right? Then
when I ordered tickets I ordered them in her current name, which is her maiden name.
(she kept her maiden name as official when we got married). Luckily we phoned the
airline in advance to be sure, and we were able to replace the passport at the U.S.
Consulate in Amsterdam before the flight. Afterwards, we found out that the amendment
in her current name that she had done in her passport (little print in the back that
says something like "bearers name is now <fill name here>") was more then sufficient.

This was WAY before Sept. 11th 2001, but I'm sure they are even more strict on it
now to prevent terrorism. Its not a big problem to call the airline and have the
ticket change name. If you still have to order tickets, order it in whatever name is
in the passport.

Maarten

Old Feb 25th 2002, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

One suggestion is to go to her country's embassy/consulate and if that embassy permits, either:

get her name changed on the passport or apply for a new passport in her married name.

That is what i did for my wife.

best,

ralph
Old Feb 25th 2002, 6:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite true Paul. Although it was a domestic flight, I used my passport for ID when boarding my flight and the passport was in my maiden name and the ticket in my married name. I showed them my marriage certificate (original) and didn't have a problem

I booked the flight online with my credit card which had my married name otherwise i would have booked it with my maiden name and saved the confusion
Old Feb 26th 2002, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would an airline care about anything apart from the fact that the name on your ticket matches the name on the photo ID you give them? If they do match why would you even need to volunteer that you are married, that you are applying for a greencard or that your underwear is red? The only time the airline would care about the marriage is if for some odd reason you decided to give them a name on the ticket that did not match the ID you will show at the airport. This happened to my wife a year or two ago when I accidentally put her married name on the ticket but her passport still shows her maiden name. You know what we've done on all future bookings? We've booked her ticket in her maiden name. The airlines couldn't care less if you're married or not as long as that ID matches.
In the case above we made sure we had the marriage certificate with us (and we continue to bring it with us every time including her greencard now), we showed this to the airline agent and after this verification she was ok. The best thing you can do is bring all your ID, passport, INS stuff and you will be ready to present to the agent whatever is necessary.
Of course, if all other ID is in the married name and you're making a domestic flight just book the ticket in the married name. You don't need your passport to travel within the US why the heck would you use it as ID unless you had no driver's license, walker's ID or other valid photo ID apart from the passport.

Actually Ralph brings to mind a question. How long would it take to get the passport updated to the married name if you took it right to the embassy or consulate? Or must you mail your passport to the consulate? Or is this something that could be done on a 1-2 week vacation in my wife's country? Being a stone's throw from Washington I'd think it'd be easiest to drive to the British embassy and try to get it updated that same day, is that a possibility?
Thanks,
Matt
Old Feb 26th 2002, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

Procedures and timelines can vary with every embassy/consulate.

In my wife's case she applied in the morning for a name change.
Instead she was issued a brand new passport within 24 hours.

British Embassy might just do the same in your case. check with them. However, unlike some embassies, British Embassy has a check point, so i am not sure if they will let drive beyond that gate.

good luck,

ralph