Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Airplane 23Kg allowed, but if 25Kg would the consider it, without charging ?

Airplane 23Kg allowed, but if 25Kg would the consider it, without charging ?

Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:02 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airplane 23Kg allowed, but if 25Kg would the consider it, without charging ?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do you want an award for how long it took you?

You didn't say what kind of bag it was or even hint as to what kind it was, so there was nothing for me to search, I did try heavy luggage empty weight and got no useful results so I asked you.
Sorry jsmith, I didn't mean to be sarky, I mentioned the time it took me to find it only to demonstrate how easy it is to end up with a very heavy suitcase without thinking about it. Indeed, I don't think it had ever occurred to me to check the weight of a suitcase until my mum bought that particular monster. Now, I pay careful attention and I no longer own a big suitcase with wheels which I am going to check in simply because of the weight limits in force.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airplane 23Kg allowed, but if 25Kg would the consider it, without charging ?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Sorry jsmith, I didn't mean to be sarky, I mentioned the time it took me to find it only to demonstrate how easy it is to end up with a very heavy suitcase without thinking about it. Indeed, I don't think it had ever occurred to me to check the weight of a suitcase until my mum bought that particular monster. Now, I pay careful attention and I no longer own a big suitcase with wheels which I am going to check in simply because of the weight limits in force.
I misread it the first time and I had edited the part out before I saw your post above, I took it the wrong way the first time I read it, so I do apologize.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... I was left with a carry-on that must have weighed over 30lb, but it wasn't checked, or even questioned.
I managed to get 23kg in my carry-on every trip from LGW to TPA, after much effort and cussing and only now have I realised that, other than a comment or two about how heavy it was, it wasn't once weighed.
I now feel cheated. 😭
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I always seem to have the following conversation with my dad as he obsessively tries to weigh his bag (or I try to find batteries for the scale) for the return flight.

Me: so it was underweight on the way out?
Dad: Yes by quite a margin.
Me: and you've since taken out all the tins of beans, hobnobs, chocolates and gifts for young sir?
Dad: yes
Me: and replaced all that with a single bottle of bourbon?
Dad: yes
Me: do you expect it to be magically heavier?
Dad: ...
Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. We fly quite a bit recently on American, United and Delta. This is all domestic travel.

United - no flexibility. Even the contracted personnel outside Las Vegas and at Houston International - no flexibility. I had a bag at 51 and the outside guy said, "can you take something out? I'd hate to charge you $100." I took out a book. For the past year, zero flexibility.

Delta - I got one bag through at 52. I think from the look on my face (relief?) - she said, "Our scale is off." That was in Minneapolis.

American - like United.

So I'd say no.

Oh, hubby flew to Edinburgh on United and had to remove Branston pickle jars at Edinburgh airport. He was 1 kg over.

I think they are all getting stricter.

I'm sure mileage may vary on this, though.