British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/airlines-817423/)

Ulsterman in Texas Dec 11th 2013 1:37 pm

Re: Airlines

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11031148)
Isn't that the truth! :D

I'm surprised that Emirates or Qatar hasn't started offering flights from Hethrow to JFK to be honest.

tonrob Dec 11th 2013 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas (Post 11031195)
I'm surprised that Emirates or Qatar hasn't started offering flights from Hethrow to JFK to be honest.

They probably wouldn't be allowed if they wanted to. Background here.

kins Dec 11th 2013 3:08 pm

BA would be all right if it weren't for the fact that their US customer services department staff rarely have any idea what they are talking about, and give out misleading information.

OTOH if you fly with an EU-based carrier and your flight is delayed in or out of the EU you may get compensation.

I recently got $830 from BA compensation for my flight back in March, despite the customer services team doing everything they could to try to stop me from applying. They also gave me more misleading information than I've ever had from any airline (which is saying something).

Ulsterman in Texas Dec 11th 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11031210)
They probably wouldn't be allowed if they wanted to. Background here.

I thought it would be something to do with international agreements.

tonrob Dec 11th 2013 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 11031312)
BA would be all right if it weren't for the fact that their US customer services department staff rarely have any idea what they are talking about, and give out misleading information.

Don't worry. They'll all be out of a job shortly as BA is in the process of shutting the US call center.

denzil75 Dec 11th 2013 9:09 pm

We flew Aer Lingus from JFK to MAN for the first time this summer. Not sure I would do it again, husband nearly missed his connection in Dublin on the way back as the Manchester flight was late. I thought the airline itself was fine and was much cheaper than United, we did have to go to JFK though when we are so much closer to Newark which was a real pain. It is nice clearing immigration in Dublin though. Aer Lingus has recently moved into a new terminal shared with Jet Blue, it was modern and really quiet. If we fly to Manchester again I will stick direct with United, they aren't great but are by far the easiest option. As I've gotten older I can't be doing with changing planes and hanging around.

Karrie72 Dec 12th 2013 2:29 am

If you have children, my vote is virgin Atlantic. It's a short and good flight with them Boston to Heathrow. Predictable and high quality entertainment in economy.

Ulsterman in Texas Dec 12th 2013 3:02 am

No kids yet, I have never flown with Virgin, they have always been out of my price range, I don't know if they code share with anyone or not but because I have always went to either Nashville or Dallas they seem never to be competitive on the routes I take.

AmerLisa Dec 12th 2013 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas (Post 11032367)
No kids yet, I have never flown with Virgin, they have always been out of my price range, I don't know if they code share with anyone or not but because I have always went to either Nashville or Dallas they seem never to be competitive on the routes I take.

Virgin used to code share with Continental back in the day.

Karrie72 Dec 12th 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas (Post 11032367)

Huh, I always find them really competitive price wise but then maybe that's because I fly out of Boston.